Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Ricoh Aficio MP C2051 Firmware Update

Hi , I have RICOH MP C2501, its on my local netwrok and am able to print from 3 different System with Operating Systems Win XP & Win10 .. am able to scan to folder on WIN XP only, i am not able to Scan to Folder on Windows 10. I have gone through all the youtube tutorials on how to set up etc but of no help. I have finally ended up finiding it that Firmware needs to be updated. I have got all the updated Firmware files now and i have updated them remotely to Ricoh Machine but still its not updating . I am lost , SD card with firmware files with extension .rfu or .fwu doesnt read in machine if inserted to Machine. Remotely through web login .rfu files are read and firmware update and transfer is done but it never updates the machine. I have attached two pics of my current Machine Firmware and available updated firmware files. I will appreciate if some one can guide me how to update those files into MP C2051, after that only i have to give a try and solve my Scan to folder issue. Looking forward to hear from someone with known problem and experience.
    RicohCurrentFW.jpgRicohFWupdate.jpg

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts ThePomqueteer's Avatar

Re: Ricoh Aficio MP C2051 Firmware Update

Not sure about the remote firmware as I've only done it a handful of times and can't remember the steps but with the SD card make sure its not an insane size or else the machine won't recognize it. I use a 2GB SD card, even that can cause problems sometimes on older machines. If 2GB doesn't work I think you should be safe with 1GB or lower. Its been a while since I worked on a machine in that series so maybe someone else can confirm.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ThePomqueteer View Post
    Not sure about the remote firmware as I've only done it a handful of times and can't remember the steps but with the SD card make sure its not an insane size or else the machine won't recognize it. I use a 2GB SD card, even that can cause problems sometimes on older machines. If 2GB doesn't work I think you should be safe with 1GB or lower. Its been a while since I worked on a machine in that series so maybe someone else can confirm.
    Thanks for the info, I been using 16 GB SD card used for my Canon Camera. I was told about it but not tried any other smaller storage card. I tried using the existing Machine SD card. I tried copying the 88MB firmware updated files but it never read from the same Machine SD card even.
    I will give a try with smaller SD card as you mentioned and see if it can be done. Also i wanted to know as in attached pic of my thread you can see there in updated files are 3 " .exe " files (Aopplication) , will it be executing by Machine when SD card is read or is it another way to update them.

Once again Thanks ThePomqueteer for taking time to respond much appreciated.

From my experience, I've never seen a .exe file when doing firmware however I've only been doing this for 4 years now so I might just be too young to know about it . As for the system SD card you mentioned, thats more than likely an SD card for an option like PostScript or OCR. I Believe those SD cards are put in slot 1 of the machine where the firmware SD card needs to go into slot 2. So you could try removing the SD card from slot 1 with the firmware and try it in slot 2 however I've never done firmware using an installed option's SD card so I can't recommend it.

Based on this link which I understand is for a different model but the WIM is fairly similar between models it should just upload the firmware and then update it.
    http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub...3/M0B07712.pdf

Maybe when you try the remote firmware again go check on the panel to see if it is actually updating, it should display something on the screen.

EDIT: I just realized you only have the .rfu files in your original post. Just to confirm you CANNOT use those on an SD card, you need the specific SD card firmware files. That may have been the issue all along.

Technician

From my experience, I've never seen a .exe file when doing firmware however I've only been doing this for 4 years now so I might just be too young to know about it . As for the system SD card you mentioned, thats more than likely an SD card for an option like PostScript or OCR. I Believe those SD cards are put in slot 1 of the machine where the firmware SD card needs to go into slot 2. So you could try removing the SD card from slot 1 with the firmware and try it in slot 2 however I've never done firmware using an installed option's SD card so I can't recommend it.

Based on this link which I understand is for a different model but the WIM is fairly similar between models it should just upload the firmware and then update it.

Maybe when you try the remote firmware again go check on the panel to see if it is actually updating, it should display something on the screen.

EDIT: I just realized you only have the .rfu files in your original post. Just to confirm you CANNOT use those on an SD card, you need the specific SD card firmware files. That may have been the issue all along.
    I have to SD cards Slots, 1 has some security and 2nd one is PostScript. , i have removed both and tried using my own SD card which was obviously 16GB so it wouldnt work for sure. On the other hand, when Updated Firmware files were downloaded from Ricoh , files extension was .fwu , when doing remotely it never recognised the .fwu, browsing through firmware updating manuan i figured out the file extension needed to be . rfu .. when i changed the file extension i was able to update remotely and machine did responded and it did showed firmware file recieving message and it did restarted even. But on restarting machine and login in remotely back to machine i am shown with the attached file ( error 54) .. surprisingly by web login i am not able to read . fwu file but it can update with .rfu and once machine restarts i recieve the Error 54 as shown in attached pic. I will be definitely give a try with smaller SD card and see and hopefully it does the way it should be as shown in tutorial online.
    Thank You
    RicohFWupdateError.jpg

Technician

I had followed the above PDF (Link) .. it says you need .rfu .. remotely it does update and upload and panel shows its recieving and machine restarts . but on web log in i recieve the attached error 54 message once i re-login to machine. I have to try 1 GB SD card and yes with .fwu files not .rfu .. i orginally recieved .fwu files from ricoh firmware download. following the PDF manual i renamed it to .rfu and it worked but later it gave me the attached error after machine restart and relogin ..
    RicohFWupdateError.jpg

Ah yes I see that now in the OP. My bad.

So just to confirm the only files you downloaded were the .fwu files? And then you renamed them to the .rfu file format?

I don't think that will work, and I'm guessing that's why you're getting that error on restart. I'm fairly certain .fwu files are for SD card only, and you need the separate different .rfu files if doing remote firmware. Can you screen cap the part of the manual that mentions renaming the files? I'm curious now Like I said maybe you could do this with the older machines but I've only really worked on newer machines so I could be wrong.

Either way I'd try the 1GB SD card like you said I think you'll have better luck with that than a 16GB card. And if that doesn't work I'd recommend downloading the separate .rfu files and trying those. Let me know how you make out.

Technician

Ah yes I see that now in the OP. My bad.

So just to confirm the only files you downloaded were the .fwu files? And then you renamed them to the .rfu file format?

I don't think that will work, and I'm guessing that's why you're getting that error on restart. I'm fairly certain .fwu files are for SD card only, and you need the separate different .rfu files if doing remote firmware. Can you screen cap the part of the manual that mentions renaming the files? I'm curious now Like I said maybe you could do this with the older machines but I've only really worked on newer machines so I could be wrong.

Either way I'd try the 1GB SD card like you said I think you'll have better luck with that than a 16GB card. And if that doesn't work I'd recommend downloading the separate .rfu files and trying those. Let me know how you make out.
    The PDF manual does'nt say of renaming. I get it what you mean for remote update there must be different files with .rfu for firmware update and not the same as available to download to use on SD card as .fwu , I myself renamed the file extensions and its not instructed in any manuals, based on experience dealing with file extensions on different OS it does work changing their extensions, but obviously it did'nt worked on Ricoh!! I need some time to get the SD Card and use .fwu on machine with SD card

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio MP C2051 Firmware Update

Quote Originally Posted by Nauman View Post
    Hi , I have RICOH MP C2501, its on my local netwrok and am able to print from 3 different System with Operating Systems Win XP & Win10 .. am able to scan to folder on WIN XP only, i am not able to Scan to Folder on Windows 10. I have gone through all the youtube tutorials on how to set up etc but of no help. I have finally ended up finiding it that Firmware needs to be updated. I have got all the updated Firmware files now and i have updated them remotely to Ricoh Machine but still its not updating . I am lost , SD card with firmware files with extension .rfu or .fwu doesnt read in machine if inserted to Machine. Remotely through web login .rfu files are read and firmware update and transfer is done but it never updates the machine. I have attached two pics of my current Machine Firmware and available updated firmware files. I will appreciate if some one can guide me how to update those files into MP C2051, after that only i have to give a try and solve my Scan to folder issue. Looking forward to hear from someone with known problem and experience.
    RicohCurrentFW.jpgRicohFWupdate.jpg
    Use an SD card no larger than 2GB (4gb will possibly be ok)

on the SD card create a folder called ‘romdata’
    no other files/folders should be on the card.

Copy the .fwu files into this romdata folder.

Shut the machine down & insert this SD card into slot 2 (lower) there maybe a small cover to remove (1x screw)

Power machine on & follow instructions.

Using the SD card method is much easier & quicker than doing .rfu remotely.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Nauman View Post
    The PDF manual does'nt say of renaming. I get it what you mean for remote update there must be different files with .rfu for firmware update and not the same as available to download to use on SD card as .fwu , I myself renamed the file extensions and its not instructed in any manuals, based on experience dealing with file extensions on different OS it does work changing their extensions, but obviously it did'nt worked on Ricoh!! I need some time to get the SD Card and use .fwu on machine with SD card

I have formatted one of the existing SD Card of machine and just copied all the 17 .fwu files to Existing SD Card (122MB) Updated FW Files(88 MB) , The post script SD Cards in 1st slot and newly formatted with updated files in 2nd slot . Nothing work no Firmware Update message showing up. Even tried only 1 SD card with updated files and keeping the 1st slot empty, no response from machine at all !!