Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Postscript Emulation

Postscript Emulation

Hi All
    This is an issue that could probably be asked in the connectivity forum, but as I often mention, I deal pretty much exclusively with the Ricoh brand, so I'm always most interested in opinions/ solutions as they relate to the specific brand.

It's just been brought to my attention that the newest models all seem to have postscript 3 (postscript emulation) as standard, and Adobe Postscript 3 is still available as an option.

I'm just curious if there is a dramatic difference between the 2, and if the Emulation is sufficient for typical day-to-day use?
    Is it just a matter of the number of fonts that may/ may not be included?

I've seen some documentation that emulators weren't necessarily that great in years past, but that they are generally fairly sufficient these days.

I've not sold any of the machines that utilize this feature, but just curious if anyone can offer some insight on it.

Thanks!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Postscript Emulation

Re: Postscript Emulation

From what I understand is that the Postscript 3 emulation is an expansion of PDF Direct and actually has all the fonts and functionality of the full Adobe Postscript 3. What it lacks is the Copyright permission needed to utilize all of them. The Adobe Postscript 3 adds the Copyright.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Only ever deal in true PS nowadays, as Xerox only offer genuine or nothing (which I prefer tbh). Last emulation I dealt with was on Kyocera, who only used emulation and did not offer a genuine PS option.

We would continually hit issues from clients with fonts, line weights and design drawings etc. Upgrade them to a genuine PS machine and all problems go away.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Postscript Emulation

The way I see it, emulation is good if your customer needs to print invoices or other office-related stuff, and they need postscript for any reason (printing from Mac or Linux is an example).

If you goal is to print design stuff, then you need the genuine stuff.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Postscript Emulation

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Hi All
    This is an issue that could probably be asked in the connectivity forum, but as I often mention, I deal pretty much exclusively with the Ricoh brand, so I'm always most interested in opinions/ solutions as they relate to the specific brand.

It's just been brought to my attention that the newest models all seem to have postscript 3 (postscript emulation) as standard, and Adobe Postscript 3 is still available as an option.

I'm just curious if there is a dramatic difference between the 2, and if the Emulation is sufficient for typical day-to-day use?
    Is it just a matter of the number of fonts that may/ may not be included?

I've seen some documentation that emulators weren't necessarily that great in years past, but that they are generally fairly sufficient these days.

I've not sold any of the machines that utilize this feature, but just curious if anyone can offer some insight on it.

Thanks!
    This is how I decide, so for or general office printing the emulation is fine it does the job reasonably well.

Typical example small/medium sized office with mainly Windows user & the odd mac user most likely you won't need to splash out on a PS card unless the MAC users are graphic designers etc.

But ANY sized office with an all MAC environment then you will need to PS option or you will have issues.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Any company buying a Mac for every user, shouldn't quibble over a £500 PS option

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Postscript Emulation

I appreciate all the input.
    Since I deal exclusively with off lease units, this is helpful info for me when sourcing equipment.
    I guess it's about what I expected.

I suppose going forward, I'll just continue doing what I've generally been doing, and that is removing/uninstalling the Genuine PS3 cards from machines that I find with it on board when it's not absolutely necessary, and keep them on hand for future sales when it's required.

Thanks!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Postscript Emulation

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I appreciate all the input.
    Since I deal exclusively with off lease units, this is helpful info for me when sourcing equipment.
    I guess it's about what I expected.

I suppose going forward, I'll just continue doing what I've generally been doing, and that is removing/uninstalling the Genuine PS3 cards from machines that I find with it on board when it's not absolutely necessary, and keep them on hand for future sales when it's required.

Thanks!
    I didn’t think you could remove a PS card once installed to another device?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Postscript Emulation

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Not sure about the very newest models but in the past I have been able to pick them up used on eBay and they did work when installed.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    As I recall, the option has to be uninstalled from the control panel first.

I think the serial number of the MFP gets written / encrypted on the card, so it will not work if simply moved from one machine to another.

I had a few installs where some idiot working in our setup shop couldn’t quite grasp that concept. There were a handful of, shall we say, “embarrassing” situations, where he pulled the cards from a few demo machines and shipped them out with sold ones.

That was all more than a few years back; it may have all changed by now.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins