Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh mfp's "toner near end" automatic email notification.

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    What issue are you having & what model?

Maybe start a new thread dude.
    Dear C.T., it is a mpc3002, that did not send any email for "toner empty" because customer had replaced the toner before machine has stopped for this.
    A solution is to educate the customer, but 3 times in a row without any change is frustrating.
    Do you use @remote, could this be a solution?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Dear C.T., it is a mpc3002, that did not send any email for "toner empty" because customer had replaced the toner before machine has stopped for this.
    A solution is to educate the customer, but 3 times in a row without any change is frustrating.
    On Konica Minolta you can turn off low toner message this prevents user to change toner when they see something about toner and change with new cartridge whether is low toner or waste toner message
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Nevertheless it is the customers responsibility to monitor the toner level on their printers, remote ordering or not. If printing is life and death for them, they should keep an eye on the toner status and even have a cheap spare printer. Customers are acting like princesses, making problems out of tiny issues with is actually their own responsibility.

“Tiny people needs tiny problems, to feel big themselves”
    Please start you post with brand, model, problem.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Batman1976's Avatar

Hi Chaps,

Few options to look at:

Toner end threshold levels on Ricoh devices can be adjusted within SP mode to allow for longer/shorter notification times.

If a client has multiple devices on-site its worth looking at a 3d party monitoring software such as PAFM.

Newer Ricoh devices with the SOP v2 panel can also have the "send meter" app installed. When configured, this will email meter readings and low toner alerts. (SMTP settings will need pre-configuring for scan to email).

@remote is also worth looking at but takes a little bit of management.

Hope that helps

Batman1976

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

It's an old story, toner is always an issue. I've heard all of the answers and opinions over the years. Back in the golden years when customers bought their own toner, you could bet they would not throw away a full tube for light prints. They sure seem to do it now though. When I remark that they threw $100 in the trash, they don't care, "it's not their toner".

If you give the customer extra toner, you have a lot of money sitting on shelves that you have no control over.

The reporting systems are totally unreliable. Customer IT may shut down internet traffic to Japan or change a proxy for example.

When I was doing the toner replenishment programs, I would send the toner out at the 50% mark. We had labels on the toner to indicate low toner is not out of toner message, use until machine tells you it is empty. 50% worked rather well, until some bean counters wanted it set to 10%. That is just too low, at 50% very few missed replacements.

I also educate customers, when the machine says low toner, it you don't have your toner by the next day, please call us to check on it.

You can never trust technology 100% whether it is toner replenishment or self driving vehicles. The final responsibility is on the operator.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh mfp's "toner near end" automatic email notification.

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    It's an old story, toner is always an issue. I've heard all of the answers and opinions over the years. Back in the golden years when customers bought their own toner, you could bet they would not throw away a full tube for light prints. They sure seem to do it now though. When I remark that they threw $100 in the trash, they don't care, "it's not their toner".

If you give the customer extra toner, you have a lot of money sitting on shelves that you have no control over.

The reporting systems are totally unreliable. Customer IT may shut down internet traffic to Japan or change a proxy for example.

When I was doing the toner replenishment programs, I would send the toner out at the 50% mark. We had labels on the toner to indicate low toner is not out of toner message, use until machine tells you it is empty. 50% worked rather well, until some bean counters wanted it set to 10%. That is just too low, at 50% very few missed replacements.

I also educate customers, when the machine says low toner, it you don't have your toner by the next day, please call us to check on it.

You can never trust technology 100% whether it is toner replenishment or self driving vehicles. The final responsibility is on the operator.
    We always trained our customers with color machines the the toner low warning meant time to call us for their next toner. We did have a few large accounts where we allowed to keep toner on hand. One was a hospital in an outlying community. They kept the toner in the purchasing warehouse. If a department needed toner they had to bring the empty bottle to purchasing to get a new one. Another was a oilfield engineering company. The receptionist had the key to the storage cabinet.

Today a customer told us that she has waited until the mfp has stopped to replace toner and asked if we had any email.
    No!
    So we go back to the old method .
    But as mentioned here before, it could be that the email settings where changed.
    I'll let you know.

Breakthrough!
    Our new IT'er has found the problem.
    In auto email notification, at the bottom it says:
    "detailed settings for every item"
    There you can set the time after when it must sent an email.
    f.i. for "replace toner" is the standard time 5 minutes.
    So, when customer replace toner within these 5 minutes, machine will send no email!!!!
    I think that's good to know.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I'm starting slowly to remove low toner message from some of our clients fleet...
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.