Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MP 5054 jamming

MP 5054 jamming

Hi guys, I am having an error with a MP5054, it is jamming very intermittently and whenever i've been at the site I can not get it to jam, firmware/java has been updated, they are using the correct print drivers and right settings, there is nothing wrong that i can see from the machine, i have stripped and cleaned the machine. when i print out the SMC report it shows that there is no jams at all but customer is saying its definitely jamming, it doesn't show a jam on the screen or a red light doesn't come up indicating a jam/problem,there is no SC codes on the SMC report, they are saying it sometimes jams in the duplex paper exit section, so other than replacing the paper exit unit im not sure what else to do as that doesn't explain why it doesn't log the jam location in the SMC report I am wondering if there is an issue with a board? as ive never come across this fault i am not sure as to which board to possibly replace, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    MP 5054 jamming

Re: MP 5054 jamming

Quote Originally Posted by amishee View Post
    Hi guys, I am having an error with a MP5054, it is jamming very intermittently and whenever i've been at the site I can not get it to jam, firmware/java has been updated, they are using the correct print drivers and right settings, there is nothing wrong that i can see from the machine, i have stripped and cleaned the machine. when i print out the SMC report it shows that there is no jams at all but customer is saying its definitely jamming, it doesn't show a jam on the screen or a red light doesn't come up indicating a jam/problem,there is no SC codes on the SMC report, they are saying it sometimes jams in the duplex paper exit section, so other than replacing the paper exit unit im not sure what else to do as that doesn't explain why it doesn't log the jam location in the SMC report I am wondering if there is an issue with a board? as ive never come across this fault i am not sure as to which board to possibly replace, any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    I'd make the machine jam on purpose to see if it logs the jam. You may have a customer problem and not a machine problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

How does customer know it’s jammed if it doesn’t indicate a jam, ask them to take picture of screen when it happens, check door switches and AC power to machine.

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    How does customer know it’s jammed if it doesn’t indicate a jam, ask them to take picturehe of screen when it happens, check door switches and AC power to machine.
    they can see the paper sticjing out of mc

MP 5054 jamming

they can see the paper sticjing out of mc

You said the machine never jams when you go there. Does that mean that you've never seen the machine jam? If so, how do you know the machine isn't logging the jam? Are you simply taking the customer's word for it?

I'm not saying that I don't trust the customer (extreme sarcasm)...I'm just saying....trust but verify.

Edit: When I walk thru the door of a customer's office, I'm like a private detective of the copy machine. I'm asking all kinds of questions of the customer. First I address the reason I was called out there. Then I ask if there are any other problems..no matter how slight. I try to ask as many folks as possible. Then I check all the machine logs to see if it matches up with what I'm told.

From there I try to make the machine reproduce the problem that was reported. Then I check everything on the copier. All the paper trays, DF, finisher, duplex, ect. ect.

The cutomer will tell you all kinds of sh!t. The machine don't lie.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 09-07-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP 5054 jamming

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    How does customer know it’s jammed if it doesn’t indicate a jam, ask them to take picture of screen when it happens, check door switches and AC power to machine.
    1+ on the pictures of the screen.

Also have them take a picture of the jammed paper sticking out of the machine.

Ask the customer to run the machine to try to make it jam while you are there. Sometimes when you have them run it, they do something that helps you figure out the problem.

Blow off the trans/sep photo interruptor near the drum. If it's dirty, it acts like an exit jam.

I have seen reports of the exit motor failing on these models.

Can you post a copy of the SMC showing the jams, or lack of jams? Are you sure there are no J001 power on jams?

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    MP 5054 jamming

There would be some jams in the jam log you need to go back it's not going to be a pwb check pm life do you know the machine are you trained start with the most common stuff before looking to deep.
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

MP 5054 jamming

Quote Originally Posted by mga View Post
    There would be some jams in the jam log you need to go back it's not going to be a pwb check pm life do you know the machine are you trained start with the most common stuff before looking to deep.
    we older techs call it the K.I.S.S. principle...... 'keep it simple stupid'

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 5054 jamming

Instead of looking at the jam history ( jam log ) SP 7507 and 7508 try checking the jam counters SP 7504 and SP 7505. Jams At Power On are not listed in the history but they are counted. Most jams at power on are actually caused by flaky door switches.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 5054 jamming

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    we older techs call it the K.I.S.S. principle...... 'keep it simple stupid'
    I think we know a few people who like to apply the other k i s s principle ......... keep it stupid simpleton.