Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    IMC3000 OCR issue

IMC3000 OCR issue

Howdy folks, tech up north as a strange one. IMC3000 with the OCR kit installed.

Scan to folder/email works fine until you go into the file type and check off OCR. Machine will show processing OCR for a bit and then stop. We had DOS enabled, hard drive symbol would be blinking away showing it's doing HDD work, then it goes solid (like it has info to delete but never deletes it) and the processing OCR disappears. Scan never shows up and scan memory in the classic scan app shows 99% for a long time. You hit the scanned status and it's not in there. In the new scanner app there is that previous job/one touch button on the left, it shows the job was created as you can press to recall it.

We have tried using both scan apps.
    HDD and Sata cable replaced & HDD formatted.
    OCR kit (its a sd card) has been replaced.
    Firmware is up to date.
    I know they have been running a bunch of clears (not sure exactly what) as ACTS was enabled on this machine when installed but it was disabled in application site.
    I was up there last week and re enabled acts and disabled DOS, those didn't help.

Ricoh tech support is saying to replace the power cable to the HDD now and im sure the controller will be next.

Anybody else seen this?
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts ThePomqueteer's Avatar

Re: IMC3000 OCR issue

Out of curiosity, what does the system log say when trying to send the scans to folder/email, or does it even mention it? You can access it through the WIM or print it off by going to your interface settings and Print List. The log usually gives a bit more info rather than just an error in sending.

Also just to rule out a bad OCR card have you tried removing the OCR card and doing a regular scan without the OCR card in (this may be pointless if the machine doesn't need the SD card once you install OCR, I can't remember how it works at the moment, just an idea though).

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    IMC3000 OCR issue

Using Ricoh's Scan to OCR has never been an advisable option. OCR takes large amounts of processor resources that are not always available on a MFP. Even when it does not error out, it can take half an hour or more to complete. Your customer will be better served by scanning to a folder then using any of the available OCR software. Their computer can convert pages per minute compared to the minutes per page for the MFP.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Using Ricoh's Scan to OCR has never been an advisable option. OCR takes large amounts of processor resources that are not always available on a MFP. Even when it does not error out, it can take half an hour or more to complete. Your customer will be better served by scanning to a folder then using any of the available OCR software. Their computer can convert pages per minute compared to the minutes per page for the MFP.
    There are particular customers (like lawyers and accountants) that seem to insist scanning directly into a program ,like Handisoft for example,instead of converting and moving the files themselves.....I think the term is lazy?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    IMC3000 OCR issue

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    There are particular customers (like lawyers and accountants) that seem to insist scanning directly into a program ,like Handisoft for example,instead of converting and moving the files themselves.....I think the term is lazy?
    Most of those either import the file from an input folder or use TWAIN or WIA drivers and pull the file into the program. An example is a bankruptcy attorney whose copiers, computers and telephones I used to work on used Forms of Bankruptcy. There is also software that will take a scanned fie from an input folder, run OCR on it, delete the source file to be ready for the next scan and save the output to a different folder or pass it on to another program.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    IMC3000 OCR issue

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    no I think the proper term would be Incompetent.