Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Ricoh SP c820dn dirty prints and transfer belt

Hi all.

I'm new here. I have 2 - Ricoh SP C820dn units that I use to print addresses on the back flaps of envelopes for greeting cards using a feeder in the bypass tray. The envelopes are 7.25x5.25 and I print from pdf files of the exact same size (feeding on the long edge). After a couple thousand prints on a new set of drums, I start to get heavy toner buildup on the belt and overtoning transfers to the paper. This happens most often in the magenta, but can happen in all colors. If I replace the drum with new, it will go away for a while and then come back in a couple thousand prints. It's almost as if the drum is putting out way too much toner for the little bit of text that is in the print. The toner is all over the belt and then also shows on the black backup roller where the transfer occurs. I have tried the obvious user color calibrations and cleaning all the procon sensors and the procon set up in the service functions.

Any ideas what my problem could be?

Thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh SP c820dn dirty prints and transfer belt

Quote Originally Posted by kringle View Post
    Hi all.

I'm new here. I have 2 - Ricoh SP C820dn units that I use to print addresses on the back flaps of envelopes for greeting cards using a feeder in the bypass tray. The envelopes are 7.25x5.25 and I print from pdf files of the exact same size (feeding on the long edge). After a couple thousand prints on a new set of drums, I start to get heavy toner buildup on the belt and overtoning transfers to the paper. This happens most often in the magenta, but can happen in all colors. If I replace the drum with new, it will go away for a while and then come back in a couple thousand prints. It's almost as if the drum is putting out way too much toner for the little bit of text that is in the print. The toner is all over the belt and then also shows on the black backup roller where the transfer occurs. I have tried the obvious user color calibrations and cleaning all the procon sensors and the procon set up in the service functions. Any ideas what my problem could be? Thanks.
    how many pages on the ITB cleaner unit?

total on machine?

do you have a 3m toner vac?

who does service on this unit?

are you printing in full bleed?

it's really best since you are an end user, to get a service contract on these units.. (save you down time if this is your business) or hire a 'by the call' company but DEMAND a certain time frame for the tech to show up.

if you want to DIY pay for and READ READ READ STUDY STUDY STUDY the service manual.. plus study the part manual to know where certain parts go. IF you disconnect any wires TAKE PICTURES first...same with disassembly .

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    how many pages on the ITB cleaner unit?

total on machine?

do you have a 3m toner vac?

who does service on this unit?

are you printing in full bleed?

it's really best since you are an end user, to get a service contract on these units.. (save you down time if this is your business) or hire a 'by the call' company but DEMAND a certain time frame for the tech to show up.

if you want to DIY pay for and READ READ READ STUDY STUDY STUDY the service manual.. plus study the part manual to know where certain parts go. IF you disconnect any wires TAKE PICTURES first...same with disassembly .
    I do service myself. I do have 3m toner vac and entire inside is clean. I have swapped entire new belt and cleaner, but no difference. I thought perhaps it might be a bias or voltage setting or something... although i haven't changed any settings. Not sure what the count is at the moment but they are not high use machines

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Sounds to me like your machine is over toning itself. Are you using Genuine Ricoh supplies and drums or are you using cheaper after market?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Sounds to me like your machine is over toning itself. Are you using Genuine Ricoh supplies and drums or are you using cheaper after market?
    That's exactly what seems like is happening. The only thing i can attribute it to possibly is the light coverage on the small sheet. I use all genuine toners , drums and consumables... 100%. Is there a way to "tone down" the machine?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

If you know how to get into Engine service program mode you might try the settings in the attached. They will slightly lower the toner concentration in the developer and slightly increase the amount transfer from the drum surface to the ITB. The drums will run cleaner. The charge rollers will stay cleaner, less toner will be used. These adjustments are very helpful with the toner belching C6501 and its replacement C6502.

To just lower the toner levels remove the toner cartridges and run copies of the color grey scale.

Service Program (SP) Settings.pdf

Technician

If you know how to get into Engine service program mode you might try the settings in the attached. They will slightly lower the toner concentration in the developer and slightly increase the amount transfer from the drum surface to the ITB. The drums will run cleaner. The charge rollers will stay cleaner, less toner will be used. These adjustments are very helpful with the toner belching C6501 and its replacement C6502.

To just lower the toner levels remove the toner cartridges and run copies of the color grey scale.

Service Program (SP) Settings.pdf
    Great! I'll give this a go tomorrow. I Do know how to navigate into service engine. As far as the grey scale prints with the toners out.... wouldn't that just reduce toner levels temporarily?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kringle View Post
    Great! I'll give this a go tomorrow. I Do know how to navigate into service engine. As far as the grey scale prints with the toners out.... wouldn't that just reduce toner levels temporarily?
    Once the settings have been made, the grey scale prints will bring the over toning down so that the changes will have an effect.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

When you fitted new parts was they new oem for this device ie complete not used pcdu it would of set up automatically if they wasn't new you would need to set up manually
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Technician

Once the settings have been made, the grey scale prints will bring the over toning down so that the changes will have an effect.

in the document, the page that talks about Process control references setting SP3531
    SP3531 doesn't seem to that on this machine. It's called "N0-use ProCon set" and is related to timer, temperature and RH range (as opposed to colors)

SP3371 looks like it refers to M/A calculation. Is that the one I should adjust to change the toner concentration level?

Thanks.