Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

paper curl problem in pro8120s

good morning, the fight with the pro8120s has a new chapter, to sum it up, we have two copiers on a client since january with an average of 600k impressions per month, we spent 7 months strongly asking the client to change the paper for being very bad quality (I leave photos of the results of that paper). finally this month we were able to make him change it for a first quality paper, but now new problems arise with this paper, apparently the batch came with some manufacturing fault or was exposed to inappropriate conditions, the sheets are curved too much, as if they had moisture , giving j32 j34 j82 and a whole variety of j1xx, they are curves before entering the fuser, or the jobs are curves at the finisher exit, or they jam in the stapler, when this occurs it is solved by turning the ream in the tray but You will understand how tedious this can be more in a high volume machine, I would like to know if someone had a similar problem? Is there any configuration that can help to improve this situation? Did someone get the decurl unit for this model? I leave images so that you understand the problem better, if you read all this and understood it, thank you very much!

IMG-20200603-WA0002 — ImgBB
    IMG-20200610-WA0012 — ImgBB
    IMG-20200907-WA0007 — ImgBB
    IMG-20200909-WA0001 — ImgBB
    IMG-20200917-WA0039 — ImgBB

Technician

Re: paper curl problem in pro8120s

Well if they are using the paper library there are settings for the fuser temps specifically for that paper when used. Lowing fuser temps could help with curling. If they aren't using the paper library they really should be because that also sets a bunch of different settings for the paper being used. Also there are tray heaters that are optional but look like they would be well worth installing based on the pictures you have uploaded.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blee View Post
    Also there are tray heaters that are optional but look like they would be well worth installing based on the pictures you have uploaded.
    Also based on the fact that Buenos Aires is a humid climate.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by diego_akd2009 View Post
    good morning, the fight with the pro8120s has a new chapter, to sum it up, we have two copiers on a client since january with an average of 600k impressions per month, we spent 7 months strongly asking the client to change the paper for being very bad quality (I leave photos of the results of that paper). finally this month we were able to make him change it for a first quality paper, but now new problems arise with this paper, apparently the batch came with some manufacturing fault or was exposed to inappropriate conditions, the sheets are curved too much, as if they had moisture , giving j32 j34 j82 and a whole variety of j1xx, they are curves before entering the fuser, or the jobs are curves at the finisher exit, or they jam in the stapler, when this occurs it is solved by turning the ream in the tray but You will understand how tedious this can be more in a high volume machine, I would like to know if someone had a similar problem? Is there any configuration that can help to improve this situation? Did someone get the decurl unit for this model? I leave images so that you understand the problem better, if you read all this and understood it, thank you very much!

IMG-20200603-WA0002 — ImgBB
    IMG-20200610-WA0012 — ImgBB
    IMG-20200907-WA0007 — ImgBB
    IMG-20200909-WA0001 — ImgBB
    IMG-20200917-WA0039 — ImgBB
    Hola Dieguito! Looks like the paper doesn't have enough body to support the speed, a lot of paper dust piled up on those reg rollers, the one thing I can suggest is increasing the transfer voltage so the leading edge of the paper sticks to it better if the code exists on those units. Humidity is the biggest problem you have and you are correct the paper seems to have some water in it on the pics it looks wavy from the box. I'm not familiar with the codes on that unit but look on the SM what I mentioned, I had luck cranking up the voltage on the belt in order to optimize paper adherence to the transfer unit, another thing to consider is clean the bushings on the transfer belt rollers and add conductive grease to them afterwards, make sure the contacts are clean and conducting the voltage increase properly. Please let me know if this helped. good luck!
    Last edited by MarioTech; 09-21-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Also the decurl unit wont help with curl in the engine the decurl unit sits between the finisher and paper exit from the engine. it's mainly to help with curl into the finishing accessories. like previously mentioned allow the paper the acclimate to the print room environment if possible for 24 hours don't unwrap the pallet and throw it straight into the machine.

Use the paper library and try adjusting the fuser temp that will help with curl as well. Set up a hygrometer and measure the humidity in the air and see if its within specs. The customer may have to modify the environment

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I don't understand why you as the dealer/service agent can't advise them there is clearly an issue with the paper....

They are expecting you to fix something that is out of your control.

Set the paper speed interval to the lowest setting and slow down the device. Fusing temps may help, if anything lower the temps as increasing it will curl the paper a lot more

Personally this is not your issue, this is a issue between your client and there paper supplier

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Customer can buy the best paper in the world, even than it can get moisture and fail.
    Tray heaters: only useful when paper stay in the tray for a longer time.
    Acclimatization of paper - as someone told here before - is important!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

In what environment is the machine standing?
    s their enough ventilation?
    Is there a constant temperature?
    It is winter there now, so is the heating device on, constantly?