Thread: MPC4503 jam....

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

MPC4503 jam....

Hi out there,
    just sensor/jam location issue. We have an MPC4503 giving jams in locations 204 (ITB Tansport;Rig) and 206 left relay off. Does anyone know where ITB Transport;Rig is referring to, I think 206 is the bridge unit sensor. The sensor location schematic doesnt show a paper path sensor at the ITB ....

Thanks

Steve

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: MPC4503 jam....

2** jams are normally in the finisher, can you check the jam code?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi,
    good point - the "ITB" bit threw me - must be referring to the bridge unit (internal Bridge Unit...). I am not on site, but your reply makes sense - I will go in and try and get the thing to do it while I am there - its one of those intermittent issues that never seem to occur when you are on site.

Thanks for the input, as they say two heads are better than one.....

Thanks again

Steve

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MPC4503 jam....

Print the SMC report Sp5990-004, that will help you with the jam location. Just read the list of jam code numbers and their corresponding locations. You can just follow it along from one location to the next, all the way through the machine.

Technician
    MPC4503 jam....

According to my manual the Jam codes 204 and 206 are both related to the Booklet Finisher SR3150

Jam204 Paper did not reach intermediate transport right R1-R4 Jam206 Paper held up at intermediate transport left R1-R4

I am still not sure myself exactly the area they are talking about other than the R1-R4 part but if those are in fact the correct jam codes you might focus your attention within the finisher and see if you have anything broken or out of place in the entrance/upper transport area of the finisher

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi and thank you to all who replied to my problem, thanks to all your input I have solved the problem.

so.... (never start a sentence with so - or so I have been told...)

Thankfully on arrival the customer had done as I asked and left the machine jammed - a quick look in the top door of the finisher (SR3140) revealed that the paper had gone the wrong side of the deflector blade on one side. Off with the lid and then I could see that the tinny metal guide plate (the one that lifts up when you open the top cover) was slightly bent on the left hand side, and when I removed it - the hinge tab was slightly bent just enough to allow the paper to catch on the way trough every now and then.

Straightened everything up and job was done. The problem was probs caused by a bit of heavy handed paper jam removal, but to be fair the plate is very weak. I also noted they were using cheap budget paper that was curling slightly which would have made the issue worse - How many times do we have to tell customers about crap paper!!!

Thanks again

Have a great weekend out there

All the best

Steve

That plate gets bent from people leaning on that cover whilst waiting for their job...seen it a lot on the '03 series.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC4503 jam....

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage tech View Post
    Hi and thank you to all who replied to my problem, thanks to all your input I have solved the problem.

so.... (never start a sentence with so - or so I have been told...)

Thankfully on arrival the customer had done as I asked and left the machine jammed - a quick look in the top door of the finisher (SR3140) revealed that the paper had gone the wrong side of the deflector blade on one side. Off with the lid and then I could see that the tinny metal guide plate (the one that lifts up when you open the top cover) was slightly bent on the left hand side, and when I removed it - the hinge tab was slightly bent just enough to allow the paper to catch on the way trough every now and then.

Straightened everything up and job was done. The problem was probs caused by a bit of heavy handed paper jam removal, but to be fair the plate is very weak. I also noted they were using cheap budget paper that was curling slightly which would have made the issue worse - How many times do we have to tell customers about crap paper!!!

Thanks again

Have a great weekend out there

All the best

Steve
    Back in the days of the coated paper estats we had to deal with paper pirates. They would call customers and offer paper for their copiers at discounted. Anytime we got a call for copy quality and the customer had not purchased paper recently I would take some paper that we sold for their make and model of copier. I would make a copy on my paper and on theirs. I would show them the difference and tell them I could adjust their machine to work but it would be a charge repair.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

and afterwards came the toner pirates..
    They would lie and say anything to make the toner sale..
    And most of what they sold was chinese crap.........

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

poor quality toner made with Vim (and English sink cleaner) that screws up the toner pumps.....

On the up side, those machines are usually the "off service" random calls we all get and a time and materials plus parts call is a nice way to make some money- plus the after sales of a decent toner to them to stop it happening again.

Happy days!!