Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    MP C401ZSP J004 issue

Re: MP C401ZSP J004 issue

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Is the feed roller turning in the correct direction? If the one way bearing is installed incorrectly the separation roller will drive the feed roller in the reverse direction.
    Checked that, replaced it with a new one anyway.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

MP C401ZSP J004 issue

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    I would now suspect the feed head for tray two is the fault. Look at the arm that engages your rollers and make sure the solenoid is either out of position or not pulling all the way. Remove the copier from the paper bank to get a better look at it. (I think that can be done on these?)
    This could be it, this is the correct feed sequence? when the tray is pushed in the pick up roller drops down by a lever but just as the paper is picked up the solenoid should lift the pick up out of the way for a couple of seconds to allow the paper to pass before the solenoid drops it down again for the next sheet. (mine won't even pick up one page)

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    MP C401ZSP J004 issue

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    This could be it, this is the correct feed sequence? when the tray is pushed in the pick up roller drops down by a lever but just as the paper is picked up the solenoid should lift the pick up out of the way for a couple of seconds to allow the paper to pass before the solenoid drops it down again for the next sheet. (mine won't even pick up one page)
    Yes. You need to remove the feed head and activate the leaver that makes the pick up roller drop down. Sounds like the lever is out of position. There's a spring that makes the feed roller pop back up when the lever is released. If need be, remove the feed head from another tray and compare them.

Edit: The pick up roller doesn't drop down when you push the cassette in. It drops down when you push the copy button. It's all timed out via software.

MP C401ZSP J004 issue

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Yes. You need to remove the feed head and activate the leaver that makes the pick up roller drop down. Sounds like the lever is out of position. There's a spring that makes the feed roller pop back up when the lever is released. If need be, remove the feed head from another tray and compare them.

Edit: The pick up roller doesn't drop down when you push the cassette in. It drops down when you push the copy button. It's all timed out via software.
    There is a black lever in the back, when I push it the pick up roller drops down it looks to me that when pushing the tray in it hits this lever & drops Down the pick up roller?

MP C401ZSP J004 issue

There is a black lever in the back, when I push it the pick up roller drops down it looks to me that when pushing the tray in it hits this lever & drops Down the pick up roller?

That would be totally different from what I'm used to seeing. I suppose it's possible that when you push the print button that the solenoid disengages the leaver after a certain amount of time and the pick up roller goes up. Either way, it sounds like there's a problem with the pickup roller not dropping down far enough.

You should really look at one of the other feed heads to compare them. If you really want to know if the problem is with the feed head....swap with another cassette. Then you'll know for sure.

MP C401ZSP J004 issue

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    That would be totally different from what I'm used to seeing. I suppose it's possible that when you push the print button that the solenoid disengages the leaver after a certain amount of time and the pick up roller goes up. Either way, it sounds like there's a problem with the pickup roller not dropping down far enough.

You should really look at one of the other feed heads to compare them. If you really want to know if the problem is with the feed head....swap with another cassette. Then you'll know for sure.
    The issue is with tray 2, the machine has the PB1000 installed.

See attached pic for the lever i'm referring to I don't think I can swap it with tray one?

Lever.jpg

MP C401ZSP J004 issue

See attached pic for the lever i'm referring to I don't think I can swap it with tray one?

Lever.jpg

Thanks for the pic. That's different from what I'm used to. So, the lever that the arrow is pointing to is what gets pressed in when the paper drawer is closed? That would mean the pick up roller stays down on the paper all the time as it the lever has no way to disengage. I just can't wrap my mind around it. This isn't a model that I've worked on. Sorry if I wasted your time.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP C401ZSP J004 issue

Lever.jpg
    Normally the lever is spring loaded to lift the pickup roller as the tray is pulled out. This prevents the rear fence of the tray from hitting the roller and preventing the tray from being removed. It does not actually lower the roller all the way down to the paper. What ever lifts the paper may be the culprit. Some models have an extension on the rear paper fence that activates a switch when paper wider than 8.5 inches is loaded. The switch can come loose from its mount bracket. It does two things. It detects the difference between LEF feed letter paper and SEF half letter paper. On machines with the lift assembly that uses 2 springs between motor driven lift arm and the level that actually lifts the paper it determines the amount of lift pressure. If the machine has to be manually set for LEF letter paper it will cause insufficient pressure between the top sheet of paper and the pickup tire.

MP C401ZSP J004 issue

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Normally the lever is spring loaded to lift the pickup roller as the tray is pulled out. This prevents the rear fence of the tray from hitting the roller and preventing the tray from being removed. It does not actually lower the roller all the way down to the paper. What ever lifts the paper may be the culprit. Some models have an extension on the rear paper fence that activates a switch when paper wider than 8.5 inches is loaded. The switch can come loose from its mount bracket. It does two things. It detects the difference between LEF feed letter paper and SEF half letter paper. On machines with the lift assembly that uses 2 springs between motor driven lift arm and the level that actually lifts the paper it determines the amount of lift pressure. If the machine has to be manually set for LEF letter paper it will cause insufficient pressure between the top sheet of paper and the pickup tire.

Thanks for shedding some light on that lever. It had me scratching my head. That makes perfect sense.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

maybe lift main copier off it and inspect it from above..
    or bypass side door interlock and take a look.
    maybe remove the guide plate right above it..
    I ve seen the interface from 2nd tray to copier get abused and one time not show tray at all.
    Sometimes truckers really bang these machine around when moving them especially the sorter side