Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DSC428 admin/supervisor passwords not working

Hello, I'm trying to set IP address and other settings of an DSC428. Here the printer interface wants me to login since otherwise these operations are denied.

So I tried login as admin/admin or admin/blank and also supervisor/blank and administrator/blank and other variations. The supervisor login works (on the machine and also the webinterface). However after saving the new admin passwort the changes seem to not take effect (I did not miss the second apply button).

I also tried to reset the addressbook which was not working vie SP-Mode.

I dumped the NV ram the find out the passwords like in ( Lost supervisor password? ) however I don't want to risk damaging anything so I have not tried loading a reseted NV file back into the printer.

The administrator seems to have an empty password (which is not working). And the format seems to not exactly match (not 4 byte between "marker" and username).
    ScreenshotDump.jpg

I also tried decoding the admin password (which was also not working)
    k æ / ª ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ
    d P u c 6 6 6 6

I would appreciate any tips how to gain access back, thanks for your attention.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Re: DSC428 admin/supervisor passwords not working

Quote Originally Posted by fritz.net View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to set IP address and other settings of an DSC428. Here the printer interface wants me to login since otherwise these operations are denied.

So I tried login as admin/admin or admin/blank and also supervisor/blank and administrator/blank and other variations. The supervisor login works (on the machine and also the webinterface). However after saving the new admin passwort the changes seem to not take effect (I did not miss the second apply button).

I dumped the NV ram the find out the passwords like in ( Lost supervisor password? ) however I don't want to risk damaging anything so I have not tried loading a reseted NV file back into the printer.

The administrator seems to have an empty password (which is not working). And the format seems to not exactly match (not 4 byte between "marker" and username).
    ScreenshotDump.jpg

Have you ried the Factory Service Mode (the one you use if you need to reenter the machine's ser#)? If you can get there, try using SP5-846-046.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

ScreenshotDump.jpg

My experience has been that the procedure in that thread only works with older B/W models.

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    Have you ried the Factory Service Mode (the one you use if you need to reenter the machine's ser#)? If you can get there, try using SP5-846-046.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I've read about the factory Service mode, but did not find how to access it (only the hint to search for it - but i only found the "classic" SP Mode). When i go to SP5-846 i miss the numbers between 10 and 47 so there is no 46.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    My experience has been that the procedure in that thread only works with older B/W models.
    Thanks for your information. Sounds like bad news

Thanks for your reply.
    I've read about the factory Service mode, but did not find how to access it (only the hint to search for it - but i only found the "classic" SP Mode). When i go to SP5-846 i miss the numbers between 10 and 47 so there is no 46.

How to access this version of service mode has been posted elsewhere on this site (by others who weren't very concerned about making it public). It works fine on all current models of Ricoh MFPs.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks for your reply.

Can you send me the dump of NVRAM?
    I may be able to decrypt those passwords

Technician

That service mode will reset all the data back to factory
    And delete the address book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmwmick View Post
    That service mode will reset all the data back to factory
    And delete the address book
    Incorrect.
    SP5-846-046 ONLY resets Supervisor credentials and address book.
    I run it with every single machine that I re-sell

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Incorrect.
    SP5-846-046 ONLY resets Supervisor credentials and address book.
    I run it with every single machine that I re-sell
    This is correct. After performing this particular mode, you are prompted to power the machine off/on. At next power on you will see the screen prompting you to enter new passwords. you will also find Addressbook Data has been deleted. I know of no other data loss.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    This is correct. After performing this particular mode, you are prompted to power the machine off/on. At next power on you will see the screen prompting you to enter new passwords. you will also find Addressbook Data has been deleted. I know of no other data loss.
    I must admit, that I just cross-referenced this model to Ricoh to find out exactly what the discussion was about.
    I didn't realize that we were travelling all the way back in time to an Aficio 3228C!
    In the end, I'm fairly sure this process, and some others, don't apply to a model that old