Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Microsofts new 'Universal Print' option on 365

Re: Microsofts new 'Universal Print' option on 365

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I doubt if Microsoft engineers are going to go out and purchase or even rent every make and model printer in existence just to test them for function with 365 cloud printing. Most likely Ricoh is not on their "list" is because no user has installed one there. They want you to subscribe to 365 and install one. Ricoh is not gong to do that unless there is sufficient demand for it. Contact Ricoh sales support team or install one from your own office to test/demo.

It is more likely that Ricoh and any other print vendor has to pay a licensing and development fee to Microsoft to get a MS Universal Print certification.

Ricoh and many other print vendors have lost a lot of money over the last six months due to COVID-19.

MS Universal Print is a very new product with very low market penetration so Ricoh and other print vendors are likely interested spectators at this time.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    This particular customer is currently migrating all of it to 365 with the Azure AD. So installing it normally will only work for a while then he will be wiping all of the legacy stuff away and they will only print via Universal Print afterwards.
    Not a good idea to be wiping all of the legacy stuff away. With so many schools and universities running virtual classes using zoom and other conference services creating extreme band width demand internet providers and internet services such as Microsoft 365 cloud are often not available. I personally know individuals who have had problems within the last 7 days.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Oct 01 2020- Microsoft Suffered Worldwide Outlook Outage Today—Here’s What We Know

On Monday, September 28, Microsoft users suffered a massive outage impacting Teams, Office 365 and Outlook. Now, just 48 hours after you thought everything was back to normal, Microsoft Outlook has gone down again.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2020/10/01/new-worldwide-microsoft-outage-confirmed-heres-what-we-know/#19236bb3d370

"For now, all I can say is if this isn't caused by malicious activity, then less than competent activity has to be next on the likely suspect list.

Two massive outages in the space of four days, it should go without saying, but I will anyway, simply isn't good enough, Microsoft. Nor, for that matter, is the lack of transparency as to the cause of such disruptions."

... maybe the Microsoft Cloud is not as reliable as once thought
    ?

'The customer is always right' though haha
    This is similar to months ago when Sharepoint and everything went down because useage went up 400% over a few days because of everyone working from home, they did sort that out pretty quick, but in this instance legacy stuff will still be there for months or even up to a year. Maybe that is why he said such a long timescale because he knows it isn't fully reliable yet.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    This makes NO sense router will then introduce your Ricoh in every cloud you want

Every connector printer is set this way YOUR Router only allows access to the internet NOTHING else.

Ricoh support cloud print with With the ICE Printer Package*

The question was does Ricoh have it built in as some copiers have it built into the device.

And the internet is ... a cloud

If a printer is installed correctly on the customers network, any host (guest or employee with correct log in) on that network can easily - and fast - download the printer (add printer) to print.
    In fact every network is a cloud (separated by routers). If the customer wants to connect to a specific cloud (outside his own network), he will use the internet to make the path to that router of the cloud.

So, i still do not understand the advantage of a universal printer.

In that scenario though if they were to go on holiday to another country then decided to just do a bit of work and print it out on any printer at any of their sites in their own country, just by logging into their 365 account, no vpn or anything, just a simple connection to wifi at their hotel. How would you go about setting that up for them?
    I don't really get a say in it, this IT guy wants what he wants and if it is doable we are happy to try it and sell them some machines.
    Incidentally we spoke to him this morning, told them that Ricoh have outright said to us that this is going live in December and Ricoh will also be releasing stuff to be compatible at the same time, so after probably numerous firmware updates and bugs being sorted it should be a working function in February.
    On the plus side if people want to start doing this it makes my installations go quicker because all I can do is roll it in, setup IP address etc, setup scanning and the rest is up to their IT (in an ideal world)

In that scenario though if they were to go on holiday to another country then decided to just do a bit of work and print it out on any printer at any of their sites in their own country, just by logging into their 365 account, no vpn or anything, just a simple connection to wifi at their hotel. How would you go about setting that up for them?
    I don't really get a say in it, this IT guy wants what he wants and if it is doable we are happy to try it and sell them some machines.
    Incidentally we spoke to him this morning, told them that Ricoh have outright said to us that this is going live in December and Ricoh will also be releasing stuff to be compatible at the same time, so after probably numerous firmware updates and bugs being sorted it should be a working function in February.
    On the plus side if people want to start doing this it makes my installations go quicker because all I can do is roll it in, setup IP address etc, setup scanning and the rest is up to their IT (in an ideal world)
    IT'ers are a strange specie. They have the quality to make themselves indispensable. Isn't it?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    IT'ers are a strange specie. They have the quality to make themselves indispensable. Isn't it?
    Not always. I have known good ones such as the one at Taft City Schools who would provide me with the IP address, mask, domain name, DNS servers and internet gateway to use for new installs. My boss would provide him with the driver disk and he would take care everything else.

I have known bad ones such as the one that was at the Bakersfield office of PCL. I got called out once when the warehouse supervisor was unable to print. I found the problem in a matter of minutes. I contacted the receptionist to have her get a hold of the IT for me so I could tell him what problem I had found. He told her he was too busy replacing gateway between the various buildings to talk to anyone. At that time he had been working on the network for over 4 hours. Since the receptionist had my mobile number about 5 minutes I got a call from the west coast IT supervisor who wanted to know what I had found. I told him that I found the DNS went down sometime during the night. Everything that had fixed IP addresses such as the printers and servers could talk to each other as could any computer that had been left on all night. Everyone who had to turn their computers on in the morning had no access to printers, servers and the internet.

Did you guys ever get this working for the RICOH copiers? I'm in the same boat, I have an install tomorrow with this requirement in order for the deal to stick.

This particular customer is currently migrating all of it to 365 with the Azure AD. So installing it normally will only work for a while then he will be wiping all of the legacy stuff away and they will only print via Universal Print afterwards.
    Like the Toshibas you mentioned that also happens to Ricoh, if you let an IT guy or someone who wants to half arse an install set up new printers they will let Windows 10 find ti and add it on it's own. This will not only put it on the dreaded WSD port but also gives it the Ricoh Class Driver which is also dreadful. To combat that problem I turn off WSD - Device, on the IPv4 settings of the WIM of any machine before I install it. Then download the correct PCL 6 driver and install via IP address or more reliably the Hostname which won't change.
    In this instance if a problem occured with printing I would direct the customer straight to their IT who would hold 99% control over it as I wouldn't really be able to do anything other than check network connections etc

mga - Yep that's me on there, a lot of those guys are still furloughed so I wasn't really expecting an answer. I spoke to a Ricoh support team and they all said 'no it will not be compatible' then I spoke to a guy that has done software installs for us and him and another guy he knows that works with Azure and 365 also said no.
    I don't think anyone wants to say yes it will work because if it doesn't they will be held accountable, same way I can't tell this customer everything will be fine because i'll get slaughtered if it doesn't work (so glad we don't have some of our ex sales guys that just say 'yeh it will be fine' to every question they get asked, then left me to come up with miracles on install day)