Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Re: MP C2003 Can scan to WIN 10 Home but not WIN 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by patterson70 View Post
    Would this be resolved by a firmware upgrade? Got 2 PCs scanning to Home with no problem but getting an authentication error for 3 Pros.

1) check the firmware version (!!!)

2) check in the system registry in WIM, under "configuration" the exact error encountered by the controller during the comunication, in the registry you will find the solution for sure

p.s. do you have enabled SMB client, in windows andvanced features?
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Hello? Anybody out there?
    Yep!

I would suggest keeping this points whenever doing scan to a folder.

If DNS is present - and does successful connection test - configure using hostname of the PC/Server with domain user to authenticate
    If no DNS - configure using IP address with local user to authenticate
    Aye! Cut the crap

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MP C2003 Can scan to WIN 10 Home but not WIN 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Yes update the firmware if you're still having issues as there was a security release for this model enabling SMB 2/3 support.

i agree as the firmware update gives you a checkbox that enables smb 2/3. make sure you get the correct one for the model. have used it in the past and it usually fixes scanning issue.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dalewb74 View Post
    i agree as the firmware update gives you a checkbox that enables smb 2/3. make sure you get the correct one for the model. have used it in the past and it usually fixes scanning issue.
    I greatly appreciate all the information. I had or have tried all of these suggestions. It was always an authentication issue and what I found is that you can scan to Windows Home with a PIN but not PRO. I have seen this at two different accounts.
    So I set up a new local user with a password (as someone had suggested - thank you as well), created a scans folder, shared it out, and success!

By the way, I could not change from a pin back to the Microsoft password the user originally created because he lost it and it was a major to-do to reset the password with Windows and get rid if the PIN. He also had forgotten his back-up email address.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    This is very bad advice: there are multiple security issues with SMB1 and if you turn it on and a customer gets hit with an vulnerability related to it that falls on you.

This model supports SMB3 with firmware updates as has been noted already.

Most of the issues with scanning on non-domain Windows machines come down to the person being signed in with a Microsoft account as opposed to a local account. It's often best to create a local account for scanning, even if it's not the one the user logs into the computer with, as long as it has access to the share folder and the same credentials are used on the MFP it will work.
    You are right ! there is a risk if windows turn on smb v1.But some old models would not support smbv2/3. This is another ways to scan if user insist to do do

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kplow1986 View Post
    You are right ! there is a risk if windows turn on smb v1.But some old models would not support smbv2/3. This is another ways to scan if user insist to do do

SMB is Dead, Long Live SMB!

Hello again, James Kehr here with another guest post. Titles are hard to do. They must convey the topic to the reader while being both interesting and informative, all at the same time. Doing this with a technical article makes life even harder. Now imagine my dilemma when starting an article about SMB1 behaviors in modern Windows. Think about that for a minute. Go ahead. The article will still be here.

Today I'll explain why you still see a little SMB1 on your network even after you uninstalled SMB1 from Windows, and why it's a good thing.

SMB1 is Dead!

The end of SMB version 1 (SMB1) topic has been discussed in great detail by Ned Pyle, who runs the SMB show here at Microsoft. Go read this article if you have not.

At first glance this seems like I’m beating a dead horse. If that’s what you thought, you’d be right. Unfortunately, this figuratively dead horse needs to be beaten1 some more.

Please stop using SMB1. Please get rid of those ancient, legacy systems that only support SMB1. We constantly get cases from customers asking why modern Windows 10 doesn’t support SMB1 out-of-the-box so it will work with their old, insecure systems.

Let’s go over this one last time.

• The only versions of Windows that require SMB1 are end-of-support (EOS). By years! These are Windows Server 2003 (EOS July 2015), Windows 2000 Server (EOS July 2010), their client editions, and older.
    • Samba and Linux distros like Ubuntu have retired SMB1 as well. If you have a Linux/Unix-like distro that only supports SMB1, it’s time to upgrade.
    • Not only does Microsoft not support these EOS operating systems (OS’s), we do not support interoperability with them. Meaning, if the latest version of Windows 10 does no work with an EOS version of Windows over SMB, Microsoft will not support you.

Why not? Let’s start by putting the age of Windows 2000 (W2000) and 2003 (W2003) into perspective.

• EOS Windows versus Apple:
      • Windows 2000 was released 7 years before the first iPhone.
      • Windows 2003/XP was released 4 years before the first iPhone.
      • Apple computers were still running IBM PowerPC processors.
      • Asking for EOS Windows support is like asking Apple to support PowerPC Macs. I’m sure Apple support would get a good laugh out of the request, but I imagine that’s as far as the request would go.

• … vs Android
      • Didn’t even exist.

• … vs Linux
      • Kernel 2.2.14 was released the same year as Windows 2000.
      • Version 2.4 was the newest kernel when Windows Server 2003 launched.
      • Support for the last version of the version 2 kernel, 2.6.32, ended in 2016.
      • How fast do you think the “no” would come back from Linux distro support if you asked for support on kernel 2.2 or 2.4? Assuming your distro of choice even existed back then.

By asking Microsoft to support EOS Windows, people are effectively asking us to support an OS that is so old that the modern smartphone didn’t even exist yet. Not counting Pocket PC or Windows Mobile here. An era when dial-up internet was still dominant and the world was still learning how high-speed Internet would impact computer security.

Multi-core processors didn’t exist yet, outside of the mainframe space. Those didn’t come around until 2004 (AMD) and 2005 (Intel). X86 64-bit processors didn’t exist when W2000 was released and they were brand new for W2003. Running legacy OS’s is not just bad security, it’s scary security because you are running an OS built for a completely different era of computing.

The real question here is: Why are you still running an OS or device that is so old it requires SMB1?

The SMB1 Problem

The biggest problem with SMB1 is that it was developed for the pre-Internet era. The first dialect came out in 1983 from IBM. Security and performance were designed for closed token ring networks and old fashion spinny disks. As EternalBlue and WannaCry would later prove, it is not a protocol that has aged well and it is no longer safe to use.

Unlike most other deprecated protocols, however, SMB1 controls the keys to the kingdom: data, services, file systems, accounts, and more. This makes SMB1 exploits critically harmful.

When Microsoft decided to retire SMB1 for real, and stop asking nicely, we tore off that band-aid by removing it completely from Windows 10 Spring 2017 Update (Win10 1703), when Windows detected that SMB1 was not in use. No SMB1 dialect was sent during negotiation, no SMB1 was allowed at all. And that broke things.

It turned out that some devices which only know about SMB1 weren’t quite sure what to do when getting an SMB request with no SMB1 in it. This caused a lot of strange behavior on the Windows-side; namely, hanging or pausing until everything finally timed out. This manifested in Windows as an unresponsive Windows Explorer (the technical name for the yellow folder icon you click on to access your files). People don’t like that. I don’t like that.

We ended up making changes to mitigate this without actually enabling SMB1.

• Windows 10 1709 (2017 Fall Update) and newer will send SMB1 dialects as part of the SMB negotiate. We do this to help interoperability with legacy devices. I.E. prevent Windows Explorer from pausing/hanging.
    • We will not actually allow an SMB1 connection when SMB1 is disabled. We only pretend to. The connection will end up getting closed when the server or client tries to use an SMB1 dialect.

In addition to preventing uncomfortably long waits for Windows users, it lets us bubble up messages about SMB1 only devices on your network. System admins can look in the Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > SMBServer-Operational log for event ID 1001, which is created when SMB1 is used.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopyBats's Avatar

Try using Ricoh scan to folder setup tool next time

First time in my life as a tech Ricoh put something out there that is actually useful
    If it works, don't touch it.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CopyBats View Post
    Try using Ricoh scan to folder setup tool next time

First time in my life as a tech Ricoh put something out there that is actually useful
    That's actually pretty cool.
    Just downloaded it.
    First I'd heard of it myself.
    Thanks for the tip!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Interesting. Was going to ask someone to share this but found it here:
    Scan to Folder Configuration Tool Downloads | Ricoh Global
    Now I have a couple of questions before I can play with it.
    -Is this the right tool?
    -Will it works with other brands?
    Some good soul care to enlighten me
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Interesting. Was going to ask someone to share this but found it here:
    Scan to Folder Configuration Tool Downloads | Ricoh Global
    Now I have a couple of questions before I can play with it.
    -Is this the right tool?
    -Will it works with other brands?
    Some good soul care to enlighten me

Kyocera has a scan tool. I used to use it all the time but I've found I can do it just as fast the old fashioned way. The reason Kyocera develped the scan tool is that the customers found it too difficult to set up scan to folder.