MP161,201 door not closed tight enough?

Within a week I've stumbled upon both a 161 and a 201 that is jamming intermittently around the fuser. The side door seems latched but when I push on the door while its copying it won't jam. One of the customers even C clamped the door shut and it worked perfectly, then we replaced the door and it went back to jamming immediately. Anyone else come across this issue? Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: MP161,201 door not closed tight enough?

Look at the sensor flag right as it comes out of the tray. They wear down over time and that is the symptom I have observed. Usually shows registration jam. You can push in the door and it will run... Of course that is if the door latch isn't broken. Those door latches are known to crack and break too and not close very tight.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I'll check that out. It was saying the jam was at inverter entrance ON sensor though.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Common problem with these POS entry level models. Operators are seldom trained properly on how to open the right door when removing jams. Also many techs do not open them correctly when working on the machine. Most people just pull out on the latch release. Over time this slowly bends the metal frame tabs that the latch bar hooks onto when closed. Eventually you end up with the problem as you describe. You need to use either a former and bend the tabs or a bender and form the tabs until a straight edge placed across the end of the machine fully contacts the entirely length of both tabs. In the future when opening the right door place your thumb against the door above the release and push in while lifting the release the pull out. Train your customers to do the same.

Multibrands Tech 250+ Posts rapidocument's Avatar

Also don't forget to clean and relube the transfer roller, shaft (metal part at each end) and the bushings, the old grease becomes sticky and hardens up causing jams, use conductive grease, not regular grease.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rapidocument View Post
    Also don't forget to clean and relube the transfer roller, shaft (metal part at each end) and the bushings, the old grease becomes sticky and hardens up causing jams, use conductive grease, not regular grease.
    My experience is that nylon, Teflon and Delrin bushings do not require lubrication. They do however sometimes require cleaning depending on environmental conditions. Lubricants draw dust, toner and other airborne contaminants requiring more frequent cleaning.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Common problem with these POS entry level models. Operators are seldom trained properly on how to open the right door when removing jams. Also many techs do not open them correctly when working on the machine. Most people just pull out on the latch release. Over time this slowly bends the metal frame tabs that the latch bar hooks onto when closed. Eventually you end up with the problem as you describe. You need to use either a former and bend the tabs or a bender and form the tabs until a straight edge placed across the end of the machine fully contacts the entirely length of both tabs. In the future when opening the right door place your thumb against the door above the release and push in while lifting the release the pull out. Train your customers to do the same.
    I agree with the gist of what you're saying Tim, but I disagree that they are a POS. I have no real common annoying issues with these units up to, and including the MP301.
    As for the bending of the tab on the side door safety switch? No, you won't find the procedure in any service manual, but it's something that happens, and it's a quick, easy and reliable fix to reach in behind it with as small flat screwdriver, and bend it out slightly.
    I would argue that you're not actually deforming the metal tab by bending it outwards, but rather "re-forming" it to more of the position that it should be to operate correctly.
    I agree that it's basically due to the users forcefully slamming the cover, and the tab gets deformed over time, but no big deal, and an easy fix, which I've been able to instruct my clients over the phone to complete on their own several times.

Just my 2 cents.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Check the actual door, they tend to break the clip where the lock handle attaches to the door cover on the inside and then the door doesn't close properly. Many machines with DIY paperclip or ziptie clips over here in South Africa lol

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post
    Check the actual door, they tend to break the clip where the lock handle attaches to the door cover on the inside and then the door doesn't close properly. Many machines with DIY paperclip or ziptie clips over here in South Africa lol

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk
    THIS!
    The little plastic hook/ cradle that the door handle is "held in place with" on the front side of the right-hand door breaks, and makes it so the door isn't closed fully.
    Instead of replacing the whole door, we usually do as you suggested, and where that hook is broken poke 2 holes through the cover and use a zip-tie to keep the handle "shaft" in place.

As a couple people mentioned, there is an interlock switch on the right side of machine towards the front that the right-hand door engages, where the metal tab gets deformed, and will give you a "door open" message intermittently and also jam.

We also see the operator side (front) bushing on the transfer roller get cracked and cause issues, but you usually get a popping/ grinding sound with that.

If it's jamming on two-sided copies.....replace the little blue one-way gear on the rear side of the door....may have to scuff the shaft that it sits on.
    Omertà

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts omorales's Avatar

You will fit this hook on the deck. So far I have had no problems.