Simplex or duplex identify automatic

Hi Folks!

I have a question. We have a user, who using a Ricoh Sp8300 to print high volume jobs. He send multiple files to the printer. All the jobs are in the same format (doc or pdf, doesn't matter in this case). Some jobs (files) must printed in simplex and some must printed in duplex. The customers problem is that the printing speed is too slow, because the printer send all pages through the duplex, even if the job must be printed in simplex. The question is: Can we tell the printer, that it's identify automaticaly the jobs (simplex or duplex) and if the job must be printed in simplex mode, then those pages never let through the duplex? The user hasn't time to tell manually which job is simplex and which is duplex. He only send the jobs, and waiting to print out.

Thanks.

Balazs.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Re: Simplex or duplex identify automatic

No way for printer to identify simplex/duplex automatically. It just follows the command it receives from the driver. What driver are they using? What OS? Is the firmware up to date? I had drivers insisting on using the default duplex profile and had to create, save and apply a simplex user profile. Also had margin issues with original document where it was more than one page even though page 2 was blank. Is it printing on the back side of the single sided jobs that pass through duplex?

I would create simplex profile in driver. Make sure simplex profile is still selected before printing job and see what happens. You may just have 2 simplex pages come out with one of them being blank

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 8T2 View Post
    No way for printer to identify simplex/duplex automatically. It just follows the command it receives from the driver. What driver are they using? What OS? Is the firmware up to date? I had drivers insisting on using the default duplex profile and had to create, save and apply a simplex user profile. Also had margin issues with original document where it was more than one page even though page 2 was blank. Is it printing on the back side of the single sided jobs that pass through duplex?

I would create simplex profile in driver. Make sure simplex profile is still selected before printing job and see what happens. You may just have 2 simplex pages come out with one of them being blank

Thank you!

I can tell the user to use the simplex or duplex profiles, but he don't want to use this. He only want to send the job to the printer without make any changes in the driver. Driver is the latest PCL6 specified for SP8300, op system win10 64bit, and the firmwares are up to date.

Will have to split the print job up in simplex and duplex parts then send the parts as simplex or duplex separately.
    Some manufactures support blank page removal but that will change the format of the original document.
    Whatever

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

So annoying when users try their best to make things difficult lol.

Maybe install 2 different printers? Call one simplex and the other duplex with relevant defaults programmed then they just need to pick the printer they want? Sounds like the type of user where that'll also be too "complicated" for them

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sbalika1983 View Post
    Hi Folks!
    The customers problem is that the printing speed is too slow, because the printer send all pages through the duplex, even if the job must be printed in simplex. The question is: Can we tell the printer, that it's identify automaticaly the jobs (simplex or duplex) and if the job must be printed in simplex mode, then those pages never let through the duplex? The user hasn't time to tell manually which job is simplex and which is duplex. He only send the jobs, and waiting to print out.
    For the first part of your question, it sounds to me that you simply have not set the default setting to single-sided or "simplex". ALL newer printer drivers are installed with duplex priority for environmental reasons.
    As for the second part of your question, are you really asking if the if the printer can somehow be programmed to determine a users preference in how each job is printed? If so, you may want to just take a minute to stop and think about the logic in that .

As 8T2 has suggested it seems that the best option would be to install 2 separate drivers.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    If so, you may want to just take a minute to stop and think about the logic in that .
    Since when do end users demonstrate logic?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I myself do not believe that the MFP is actually slowing down because simplex documents are going through the entire duplex cycle. I think that the cyclic rate is not being affected at all. I think what is happening is that the customer is observing that the pages are coming out face down. For a multiple page document to be printed in page order requires one of two things to be done.

One is to set the driver to output face up and send the document to the printer last page first. Unless they are using Fiery to arraign page order, that requires setting the driver to spool the entire document before starting to print which will then send to the printer last in first out when face up output is set. That, depending on the size of the document can take minutes before printing starts.

The other is to send each page down into the inverter, not the entire duplex unit, and then feed it back up and out. As one page is coming up the exit paper path of the inverter the next page is going down the entrance paper path. Total delay, a fraction of a second as the cyclic timing is not changed.