Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: MP W2401 constant SC392 error

Well, this machine is continuing to fight me each step of the way...one of the 4 big chunky screws that hold the dev unit in is COMPLETELY stripped out to the point that even an extra large phillips screwdriver can't get any purchase. And this is one of the screws that doesn't have a hex flange around the outside. Any suggestions? Drilling it out would be a nightmare as its a very thick screw, I was thinking of cutting a slot in it with a dremel but combining flying sparks with toner dust would probably get a little too exciting...

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP W2401 constant SC392 error

Depending on how much room you have you might try using a geared plierench. If you have a tight enough grip you can actually flatten the sides of screw heads with them. They do not make them anymore but you can get used ones on places like ebay. A little pricy but if they do the job.

Eifel Geared Plierench — Rust Magazine.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    MP W2401 constant SC392 error

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Depending on how much room you have you might try using a geared plierench. If you have a tight enough grip you can actually flatten the sides of screw heads with them. They do not make them anymore but you can get used ones on places like ebay. A little pricy but if they do the job.

Eifel Geared Plierench — Rust Magazine.
    Or use a dremmel to take down opposite sides of the screw head to get vice grips locked on.
    Vac out the area before hand. Unless you get sparks in a cloud.. I don't think you can cause a fire.
    OR
    You just might wanna buy a new dev unit..
    .bust the plastic tabs on the old unit.. then remove the screws and install new.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Or use a dremmel to take down opposite sides of the screw head to get vice grips locked on.
    Vac out the area before hand. Unless you get sparks in a cloud.. I don't think you can cause a fire.
    OR
    You just might wanna buy a new dev unit..
    .bust the plastic tabs on the old unit.. then remove the screws and install new.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I think i'll try the dremel as I already have one to hand. Though I suspect either way a new dev unit would be needed. Would it even be worth the money to get a dev for this machine given the age and condition? I know the previous owners apparently had trouble finding parts/supplies for it, hence why they upgraded in the first place.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Even Ricoh has trouble getting parts for these and they cost a bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    Even Ricoh has trouble getting parts for these and they cost a bomb.

Yep, that seems to be the general consensus based on what the transport guys and the previous owners said. Well, unless I can somehow make this dev unit work, get it printing at a decent quality, etc then i'll call this one a loss. The boss isn't keen to throw parts at it considering the original plan was to use it until something major needed replacing then dispose of it.

Thank you all for helping out a noob with a screwdriver, I do appreciate it a lot. I might update this thread with what I find after removing the developer unit but I think this machine's fate is probably sealed at this point. Well, at least we learned who NOT to use if we need to move our production press elsewhere

Ok, removed the dev unit and gave it a clean as best I could, cleaned the springy metal tab that makes contact with the central shaft of the developer unit as there was toner/developer all over it. I confirmed that the developer unit does indeed turn, perhaps a bit stiff but i'm not sure how free they're meant to be. Put everything back together and no change, same two error codes and the drum and main motors still refuse to turn in the output check SP mode. If i turn them by hand, they spin fairly easily. I'm also now wondering if the main control board could be iffy, given that several of the pins on the connector for the top cover sensors were all bent and shorted together (mentioned this on the first post in the thread, thanks transport company).

Unless anyone has any more last ditch effort suggestions I think i'm gonna call this one scrap