Technician

SD card for restoration is required

Hi guys,

Looking at older threads I see many have not been able to restore the encryption key after replacing the controller board.

I just did that successfully again on a MP C4503 and maybe this will help others.

1. Format an SD card in fat16 format

2. Create a folder on the SD card and name it restore_key

3. Create a folder in the restore_key folder and name it the same as the machine serial number

4. Using notepad create a txt file and name it key_XXXXXXXXXXX Replace the XXXXXXXXXXX with the machine serial number. (DO NOT WRITE .txt after, otherwise it will be named key_XXXXXXXXXXX.txt.txt)

5.Write or copy paste the encryption key in the txt file and save the file.

6.Turn off the machine, put SD card in slot 2, turn on machine and soon the display will say restoration complete.

The path to the SD card on your PC will look like this (X's being the machine serial of course) :
    CPTCH.png
    Last edited by Ricohchet; 12-02-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: SD card for restoration is required

Quote Originally Posted by Ricohchet View Post
    Hi guys,

Looking at older threads I see many have not been able to restore the encryption key after replacing the controller board.

I just did that successfully again on a MP C4503 and maybe this will help others.

1. Format an SD card in fat16 format

2. Create a folder on the SD card and name it restore_key

3. Create a folder in the restore_key folder and name it the same as the machine serial number

4. Using notepad create a txt file and name it key_XXXXXXXXXXX Replace the XXXXXXXXXXX with the machine serial number. (DO NOT WRITE .txt after, otherwise it will be named key_XXXXXXXXXXX.txt.txt)

6.Turn off the machine, put SD card in slot 2, turn on machine and soon the display will say restoration complete.

The path to the SD card on your PC will look like this (X's being the machine serial of course) :
    CPTCH.png

Hi i'm facing this issue now for model Ricoh MP4054. may i know for step number 5 you said
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricohchet View Post
    where do i get to copy the encryption key to put in the txt file ?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darknet93 View Post
    Hi i'm facing this issue now for model Ricoh MP4054. may i know for step number 5 you said where do i get to copy the encryption key to put in the txt file ?
    It is assumed that you already have a copy saved to the customer's equipment record when you first installed encryption. Of course if you are not the original selling dealer, you may be screwed.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    It is assumed that you already have a copy saved to the customer's equipment record when you first installed encryption. Of course if you are not the original selling dealer, you may be screwed.

is there any other ways to fix it ? because i did not change the controller board. the machine running well before this. but after the machine has been turn OFF for more than 14 days and when i try to turn it ON back it become like this.

Quote Originally Posted by darknet93 View Post
    is there any other ways to fix it ? because i did not change the controller board. the machine running well before this. but after the machine has been turn OFF for more than 14 days and when i try to turn it ON back it become like this.
    If you are NOT an authorized Ricoh dealer tech then the ONLY way to fix this is to replace HDD, Controller PCB and NVRAM.
    This will reset the meters to zero so it's a shitty way to go about it but if you can't get the encryption certificate from Ricoh then that's the only way to fix it.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

There's a procedure in the service manual for getting rid of the encryption key completely.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Really? I haven't dealt with this problem yet but I'd assume that you can just wipe the data in some way, like:

Encryption Key Restoration

How to do a forced start up with no encryption key
    If the encryption key back-up has been lost, follow the procedure below to do a forced start-up.

• The HDD will be formatted after the forced start-up.
    • Encrypted data will be deleted.
    • User settings will be cleared.

Prepare an SD card.

Create a directory named “restore_key” inside the root directory of the SD card. Then, save the “nvram_key.txt” file using the following name:
    /restore_key/nvram_key.txt

Create a text file and write "nvclear".

• Write this string at the head of the file.
    • Use all lower-case letters.
    • Do not use quotation marks or blank spaces.
    • It is judged that a forced start has been selected when the content of "nvclear" is executed and the machine shifts to the alternate system (forced start).

Confirm that a message is displayed on the LCD telling to insert the SD card that contains the encryption key.

Turn OFF the main power.

Insert the SD card that contains the encryption key into SD card slot 2 (the lower slot).

Turn ON the main power and the machine automatically clears the HDD encryption.

Turn OFF the main power when the machine has returned to normal status.

Remove the SD card from SD card Slot 2.

Turn ON the main power.

Memory clear SP5-801-xx (Exclude SP-5-801-001: All Clear and SP-5-801-002: Engine), and clear SP5-846-046: address book.

• SP5-801-XXX
    • Resets NVRAM data to the default settings. Before executing any of these SP codes, print an SMC Report.
    • SP5-801-001
    • Initializes items.
    • SP5-801-002
    • Initializes all registration settings for the engine and copy process settings.
    • SP5-846-046
    • Displays the slot number where an address book data is in.

Set necessary user settings with the User Tools screen.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post

Prepare an SD card.

Create a directory named “restore_key” inside the root directory of the SD card. Then, save the “nvram_key.txt” file using the following name:
    /restore_key/nvram_key.txt

Create a text file and write "nvclear".

• Write this string at the head of the file.
    • Use all lower-case letters.
    • Do not use quotation marks or blank spaces.
    • It is judged that a forced start has been selected when the content of "nvclear" is executed and the machine shifts to the alternate system (forced start).

Confirm that a message is displayed on the LCD telling to insert the SD card that contains the encryption key.

Turn OFF the main power.

Insert the SD card that contains the encryption key into SD card slot 2 (the lower slot).

Turn ON the main power and the machine automatically clears the HDD encryption.

Turn OFF the main power when the machine has returned to normal status.

Remove the SD card from SD card Slot 2.
    The procedure itself is not clear. Above highlighted it says "encryption key" but the nvclear procedure wipes the encryption key. Ignore all the shite about memory clears as well, just do 5846-047 in factory SP.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    The procedure itself is not clear. Above highlighted it says "encryption key" but the nvclear procedure wipes the encryption key. Ignore all the shite about memory clears as well, just do 5846-047 in factory SP.
    Yeah I find it funny that this is all written in a user manual