Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ricoh MP3353

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

Ricoh MP3353

Customer is using copier mainly for printing yet has been noticing when copying copies are lighter than prints. Initially I cleaned copier to no avail adjusted SP2201 with not much difference. I replaced the drum and drum blade didn't change much. There was an adjustment on the Ricoh Aficio 1022 I believe SP5106 that helped in making copies darker yet it's not in this copier. Looking for help in this; to darken copies.
    Had customer print out sample which came out good yet when copy was made some solid areas were somewhat washed out. From what I saw I would think if it were the drum and or unit it would do so in print jobs as well.
    Thanks!!!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh MP3353

Re: Ricoh MP3353

Quote Originally Posted by tcypy1961 View Post
    Customer is using copier mainly for printing yet has been noticing when copying copies are lighter than prints. Initially I cleaned copier to no avail adjusted SP2201 with not much difference. I replaced the drum and drum blade didn't change much. There was an adjustment on the Ricoh Aficio 1022 I believe SP5106 that helped in making copies darker yet it's not in this copier. Looking for help in this; to darken copies.
    Had customer print out sample which came out good yet when copy was made some solid areas were somewhat washed out. From what I saw I would think if it were the drum and or unit it would do so in print jobs as well.
    Thanks!!!
    There are countless threads about the issue of good copies and light prints as the PCU approaches end of life on machines from way bask to AF1022/27 thru the xx53 series
    SP2907-001 thru 005 is the SP mode that you're looking for, that will improve the copy quality as the PCU gets close to end of life. The default is 5. Setting them to 7 or 8 usually does the trick for me.

Question: When the copy quality faded, why would you only replace the drum, and not the Dev? It takes 5 minutes more, and Dev has been the primary causes of light copies since the beginning of time

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    There are countless threads about the issue of good copies and light prints as the PCU approaches end of life on machines from way bask to AF1022/27 thru the xx53 series
    SP2907-001 thru 005 is the SP mode that you're looking for, that will improve the copy quality as the PCU gets close to end of life. The default is 5. Setting them to 7 or 8 usually does the trick for me.

Question: When the copy quality faded, why would you only replace the drum, and not the Dev? It takes 5 minutes more, and Dev has been the primary causes of light copies since the beginning of time
    Customer didn't want to spend the money(most my customers have tight pockets) and after replacing drum and finally getting to see samples I felt PCU would not have solved issue. One thing I've found in my 36 years developer only goes bad if not used or gets bad toner put in it. Most my copiers are using the original developer in copier and copies are fine. To be honest with this copier the copies are fine to me could use a little contrast.
    Thanks for your help!!!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP3353

Normally when copying starts to get light but printing does not it means that there is dust, toner or some other filming on the mirrors and even the under side of the platen glass. This will cause it to see a darker color when doing white reference during initialization. As a result the entire gray scale gets shifted.

Turn the power off. Remove and clean both sides of the platen glass and the bottom of the scale which is where the white reference is. Also clean all three mirrors. Be careful with the mirrors as they are super to scratch. Also clean the lamp reflector.

Reassemble and turn power back on. 9 times out of 10 the light copies will be gone.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh MP3353

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Normally when copying starts to get light but printing does not it means that there is dust, toner or some other filming on the mirrors and even the under side of the platen glass. This will cause it to see a darker color when doing white reference during initialization. As a result the entire gray scale gets shifted.
    I was assuming that he would have done that, but after finding out that he feels that developer almost never goes bad, I should have assumed nothing

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP3353

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I was assuming that he would have done that, but after finding out that he feels that developer almost never goes bad, I should have assumed nothing
    I had a instant where there was dust under the scale only.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post

Turn the power off. Remove and clean both sides of the platen glass and the bottom of the scale which is where the white reference is. Also clean all three mirrors. Be careful with the mirrors as they are super to scratch. Also clean the lamp reflector.

Reassemble and turn power back on. 9 times out of 10 the light copies will be gone.
    all this was performed before deciding to replace the drum. Had I been shown the samples on my first trip I would not have replaced the drum.
    Thanks!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP3353

This is very common on this model group. The developer needs to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    This is very common on this model group. The developer needs to be replaced.
    I would agree if problem was with prints as well as copies. Can that be explained???
    Thanks!!!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP3353

Quote Originally Posted by tcypy1961 View Post
    I would agree if problem was with prints as well as copies. Can that be explained???
    Thanks!!!
    There is the fact that there is a difference in the laser intensity between printing and copying. Higher laser intensity during printing makes for darker blacks.