Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ricoh SP C821dn cyan toner reads empty even with new cylinder

To follow up on this... the new Cyan bottle arrived. Until now I'd been using the printer with the Toner End Detection set to 1. Before installing the new Cyan bottle, I tried changing Toner End Detection back to 0 and it now detected the existing Cyan bottle (albeit only at about 1/3 full, which is much less than it should have been as the bottle was brand new 3 weeks ago with very little printed since). I used the printer like this for a couple weeks.

Today it said Cyan was empty (even though I can feel lots of toner inside). I switched bottles to the brand new one, and it tried loading toner but still said it's empty.

I've set Toner End Detection back to 1 again and stuck with the first bottle. I'm going to run until the Cyan starts to fade.

I'd really like to get the printer working properly again, though. From comments above it sounds like either it needs a new RFID board or pump. Is there a way I can rule out which one of those it is?

Thanks, grateful for any help!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Save NV Ram Data via SP on SD Card -> then Memory All Clear -> Reboot -> Restore NV Ram Backup

That helped me in most cases with false Empty Bottle Messages (if nothing hardware related is faulty of course). It's easy and fast to give it a shot. I also needed to do this after changing some pumps because the machine wouldn't recover the toner itself for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Save NV Ram Data via SP on SD Card -> then Memory All Clear -> Reboot -> Restore NV Ram Backup
    Thanks Gift, I'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
    Try a different cyan pcu. You confirmed it sees a full toner bottle in the sp mode.
    I just realized I haven't tried this, either. Are there toner sensors in the PCU?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rkagerer View Post
    To follow up on this... the new Cyan bottle arrived. Until now I'd been using the printer with the Toner End Detection set to 1. Before installing the new Cyan bottle, I tried changing Toner End Detection back to 0 and it now detected the existing Cyan bottle (albeit only at about 1/3 full, which is much less than it should have been as the bottle was brand new 3 weeks ago with very little printed since). I used the printer like this for a couple weeks.

Today it said Cyan was empty (even though I can feel lots of toner inside). I switched bottles to the brand new one, and it tried loading toner but still said it's empty.

I've set Toner End Detection back to 1 again and stuck with the first bottle. I'm going to run until the Cyan starts to fade.

I'd really like to get the printer working properly again, though. From comments above it sounds like either it needs a new RFID board or pump. Is there a way I can rule out which one of those it is?

Thanks, grateful for any help!
    so what did the trick? the sales guy^^?

Closing the loop on this.

The cyan color did fade out over time, and in the end, replacing the pump solved the problem. Thanks everyone for your help!

Actually, one more quick question while I'm here. These are photos of the replacement toner pump and tube I received. It was supposed to be a cyan one but that yellow residue on the pump and in the tube looked to me like yellow toner.

When I told the guy he sent me a yellow pump instead, he replied:

this is yellow material that comes on every pump, ricoh puts it to avoid having the rubber from drying
    Is that true?

The printer's working now so it's not a big deal, just want to know if I got "hoodwinked".

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh SP C821dn cyan toner reads empty even with new cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by rkagerer View Post
    Actually, one more quick question while I'm here. These are photos of the replacement toner pump and tube I received. It was supposed to be a cyan one but that yellow residue on the pump and in the tube looked to me like yellow toner.

When I told the guy he sent me a yellow pump instead, he replied:

Is that true?

The printer's working now so it's not a big deal, just want to know if I got "hoodwinked".

What you were told was not the truth, the truth is that when they test the pumps at the factory, they use yellow toner. The amount of residual yellow is not enough to be a problem for C M or K. I have even seen new drum units with yellow residue.

Yellow toner can also be used as as a drum and blade setting powder on high volume and production model as long as it does not contain any developer. Never use the yellow toner of the D081/D082 or D014/D015 copiers because it contains developer that could damage the drum and ITB.