Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Re: Mac scan to ricoh MP 5004 or MP4054

Quote Originally Posted by marvin-vegan View Post
    For general (end)users of Apple MAC vs Ricoh, I would strongly recommend to use scanning via SMTP. If possible (just remember that older models support only plain text SMTP port 25).

If you need to scan big files (for example 600dpi uncompressed TIFF), you can still use USB drive.

But I know, thatīs not that comfortable.

So if you are still end user and want to use some direct over TCP/IP protocol - I would chose FTP app server - there are plenty of them on APP store, some paid, some free (I have one I use for customers in my depository). Itīs just simple app (daemon running in background) and showing in your bar the status. It is also mapped to port 2121 with created user/password. This is still the third simplest way how to scan big files directly on LAN. FTP is not secured but believe me, you will never be able to manage FTPS even if the Ricoh supports that. No way, trust me.

The last thing is SMB.

For the older MAC OS up to 10.14 (not sure exactly) it is quite simple as some post above.
    For the newer systems (since two years ago) you need to DISABLE packet signing on the MAC. Thatīs the new security feature, which prevents Ricoh copiers to save files using SMB protocol. Win systems are good, but Macs must be altered via the terminal and SCUTIL.

commands are as follow:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist SigningRequired -bool FALSE
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist SigningEnabled -bool FALSE
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist SMB1SigningEnabled -bool FALSE

sudo /usr/libexec/smb-sync-preferences (this one will probably say that this service is not running

Since 10.15 you have to add this commands:

echo “[default]” | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf
    echo “port445=both” | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

And also do not forget to use command to switch the auth. metod for copier

SMB CLIENT AUTH 3 (or the highest possbile)
    SMB CLIENT PORT 445
    LOGOUT
    YES
    maybe, this is why i can never get scanning to work on mac?
    I state that I do not know very little about the mac environment, and if I have to be honest, I do not like it even one bit
    at the beginning, to do some tests in the company, I had installed highsierra with virtualbox on windows, and with the usual procedures (user, sharing, etc) and it had worked, then that's it, I'm no longer able.
    so when i meet a mac, and a ricoh i have to do everything you wrote?
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Product specialst support marvin-vegan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    maybe, this is why i can never get scanning to work on mac?
    I state that I do not know very little about the mac environment, and if I have to be honest, I do not like it even one bit
    at the beginning, to do some tests in the company, I had installed highsierra with virtualbox on windows, and with the usual procedures (user, sharing, etc) and it had worked, then that's it, I'm no longer able.
    so when i meet a mac, and a ricoh i have to do everything you wrote?
    you have to do at least what I wrote above, but it is not everything. On top of that you have to do some other changes as well on the copier (sometimes). I don't say it is impossible. It is possible, but amount of effort is not worth. It is not even acceptable for customers. Usually remote session with customer to set it up, to get it working usually takes at least 20mins if all goes well. Easily I can spend more than 30mins with configuring and troubleshooting what is wrong and compare to WIN stations where you can finish such setting in 10mins, it is hell of a work..

Please don't get me wrong. I love Apple products. I love macs, mac os, everything. It is beautiful system and I spent countless hours playing with it. Building my own hackintoshes, etc. Love to play with it in my lab, experimenting and so on.. but in real life? Letīs say some architect would buy the most expensive Mac you have ever seen.. do you want to disable some security feature in his system? How would you explain why are you doing that?? See? That's the problem. Meeting dream technology in real life.. that's the story here my own experience
    Last edited by marvin-vegan; 03-15-2022 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Typo

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvin-vegan View Post
    you have to do at least what I wrote above, but it is not everything. On top of that you have to do some other changes as well on the copier (sometimes). I don't say it is impossible. It is possible, but amount of effort is not worth. It is not even acceptable for customers. Usually remote session with customer to set it up, to get it working usually takes at least 20mins if all goes well. Easily I can spend more than 30mins with configuring and troubleshooting what is wrong and compare to WIN stations where you can finish such setting in 10mins, it is hell of a work..

Please don't get me wrong. I love Apple products. I love macs, mac os, everything. It is beautiful system and I spent countless hours playing with it. Building my own hackintoshes, etc. Love to play with it in my lab, experimenting and so on.. but in real life? Letīs say some architect would buy the most expensive Mac you have ever seen.. do you want to disable some security feature in his system? How would you explain why are you doing that?? See? That's the problem. Meeting dream technology in real life.. that's the story here my own experience

I have never liked macs, since they came out in the 80s, (already at times was better the commodore 64) I prefer sony, but if I buy laptops, only hp, honest, compatible, excellent performance, easily disassembled, and with an excellent 360 degree assistance support.
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

[QUOTE=marvin-vegan;2123141Letīs say some architect would buy the most expensive Mac you have ever seen.. do you want to disable some security feature in his system? How would you explain why are you doing that?? See? That's the problem. Meeting dream technology in real life.. that's the story here my own experience[/QUOTE]

The only reason you need to make this change is that Apple hasn't been able to come up with a decent Samba implementation. Years ago, they used the same Samba packages found in most Linux and Unix distributions. Someone finally looked at the license for Samba and realised that they couldn't really use it in a paid operating system so Apple cooked up their own version of the protocol, SMBX. Many of my customers have the settings for packet signing enforced by policy in their Windows systems, and even older Ricoh devices that support SMB3 (MP 2352, etc) work just fine with the setting in place, as do Linux systems: it's only the Macs that have issues with signing.

This has been standard history with Macs: just look at any file shares accessed by a Mac before OS 10.13 and see how many .DS_Store files you can find on the share. Even when Apple was still using Samba, it was often necessary to drop from SMB2 to SMB1 by changing the server address from smb:// to cifs://, or even to spend money on third-party solutions that would advertise SMB shares in Apple's older AFP format.

Overall, any Samba variant should be feature compatible with Microsoft's SMB, and Apple has ignored issues with their implementation for years.