Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Mac scan to ricoh MP 5004 or MP4054

Hi,

I need assistance if i can scan either through ftp or smb to mac on ricoh mp5004 or mp4054?

thanks.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Mac scan to ricoh MP 5004 or MP4054

Apple quit including Samba in OSx a few years back. Samba is the implementation of SMB used by Apple and Linux.

There are a number of FTP options for Mac OS that can be downloaded if you wish to go that way.

Another option that should work are scan to a memory device.

I don't know if WIM can be use with Mac or if it is only for Windows. If it can be accessed then you can scan to the internal document server and use WIM to retrieve the file(s).

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Apple quit including Samba in OSx a few years back. Samba is the implementation of SMB used by Apple and Linux.

There are a number of FTP options for Mac OS that can be downloaded if you wish to go that way.

I don't know if WIM can be use with Mac or if it is only for Windows. If it can be accessed then you can scan to the internal document server and use WIM to retrieve the file(s).
    hi, thanks for the info. what kind of ftp software do i need to download?

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by aviso66 View Post
    I know some of my colleagues use FileZilla when they need to and its free. But I'm sure there are many alternatives around

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Make sure all the firmware is up to date. On some older MFPs I needed to telnet into the MFP and change the SMB Client auth to a 1 or 2.

The command line is “smb client auth 1”
    Hit Enter and then type “logout”. You will prompted to type in “Yes” and then the session will end.

On the Mac go to the Apple icon on the upper left and select "System Preference. Go to "Sharing" and check on "File Sharing" Go to the "Option" tab on the same page and check on "Share files and folders using SMB"

Under "Account" make sure that person [the admin] is checked "On"

You will go back to this page after you create the share folder to verify that the folder is listed as a Share with Everyone set as Read\Write.

1-Create your scan folder by going to "Go" at the top of your tool bar and then click on your "Home" icon and create your Folder there.

2- Right click the folder you just created and click on "Get Info" Select "Shared folder"

3- In the Get Info page you will need to unlock the lock icon on the bottom with the log-in admin rights.

4-In Sharing and Permissions select "everyone" and change it to "Read & Write"

5-Right click the new folder you just created and select "make Alias" This step is needed if the end user wants to have the scan folder on their desktop. Click on the Alias folder and move it to the desktop. The Original folder needs to stay in the “Home” directory.

6- Go to the apple icon - system preferences - network- advance-and take note of your “NetBIOS Name” for that computer.

At the MFP you will need the log-in info for the computer. I always log-in just as its spelled under “System Preference” “Users & Groups”

The SMB path will be the same as a PC. \\NetBIOS Name or IP address\folder name.

This works with OS 10.13 thru 11.1

Good luck.

Hilarious now you like FTP

Yes third party apps for FTP scanning to Mac's you have to purchase I don't think there are any free one's.
    Best options is scan to email or scan to a Windows machine and file sharing or scan to a shared NAS drive.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

I don't have any problem with SMB scanning on a MAC. There's plenty of videos out there of how to set it up for a Kyocera. Not sure about Ricoh.

PS - Mac only uses SMB2 or higher.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Hilarious now you like FTP

Yes third party apps for FTP scanning to Mac's you have to purchase I don't think there are any free one's.
    Best options is scan to email or scan to a Windows machine and file sharing or scan to a shared NAS drive.
    Wake up idiot and read all of what I commented. You will see that I said "if you wish to go that way."

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aviso66 View Post
    If you really want to use FTP then launch your browser, go to your preferred search engine and search for 'ftp for mac os.'

Wake up idiot and read all of what I commented. You will see that I said "if you wish to go that way."
    Still Hilarious
    Always a if customer always has the choice
    YOU can only recommend and use best practices.

Why don't your share YOUR previous thoughts and comments on FTP?