Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    WIM and Adobe flash player

Hi, All. I notice every time I need to log into a machine using Firefox, I get a security notice saying Flash player is not secure. After a little research, I seen that Flash player is pretty much gone and unsupported. I just tried using the WIM with Chrome, and I basically get the same thing. Does the WIM require Flash player to function?
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: WIM and Adobe flash player

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Hi, All. I notice every time I need to log into a machine using Firefox, I get a security notice saying Flash player is not secure. After a little research, I seen that Flash player is pretty much gone and unsupported. I just tried using the WIM with Chrome, and I basically get the same thing. Does the WIM require Flash player to function?
    You don't need flash to access any model WIM.

Chrome or the new Edge browser should work fine without any flash/java prompt.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Flash player at one time was needed in order to view SWF files. All current browsers are now able to handle SWF files directly and Flash Player was officially discontinued on December 31, 2020. Originally created by Macromedia as Shockwave 25 years ago. Macromedia was acquired by Adobe in 2005.

Check your browser add-ons. If either Flash Player or Shockwave are listed, delete/disable them as they will cause problems.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Agree. No web interface on any brand I know will require Flash player to function plus it's already gone.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Both Ricoh GlobalScan and Streamline (which incorporates GlobalScan) used to require Flash Player. The scan profile designer needed it.

About a month ago, I installed a trial copy of Streamline in my Server 2019 VM. It never squawked about Flash Player not being found, and worked properly. In all honesty, I thought it would, but I was happily surprised.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Both Ricoh GlobalScan and Streamline (which incorporates GlobalScan) used to require Flash Player. The scan profile designer needed it.

About a month ago, I installed a trial copy of Streamline in my Server 2019 VM. It never squawked about Flash Player not being found, and worked properly. In all honesty, I thought it would, but I was happily surprised.
    Web interface tied with Ricoh GlobalScan/Streamline or other software? Web interface is browser to the machine controler from what I've been learned. May be different on Ricoh though.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Web interface tied with Ricoh GlobalScan/Streamline or other software? Web interface is browser to the machine controler from what I've been learned. May be different on Ricoh though.
    I don’t think there is any direct connection.

I only mentioned it because at one time Flash was required, although it was only used to configure the scan profiles.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins