Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Firmware without SD card

Hi all,
    I have a customer who I may need to update firmware on their IMC 4500A. Problem is I'd rather not got there because of current lockdown, if I can do this remotely.
    I was thinking, remote into customers PC using trusty AnyDesk (It is like team viewer) then, browse to copiers IP address, then use remote operation panel to control their touch screen as I enabled it before installation. My question is, if I go into service mode and Firmware, will it update if it is not installed on @remote? As we do not use @remote.
    If not, is there another way I can do the whole thing remotely? The only way I have ever done firmware is via mod/packages on an SD card in slot 2, never needed to do this before.
    Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Firmware without SD card

Remote will take (much) longer.
    Sometimes we send the package via "wetransfer" or send them the SD card via post

Product specialst support marvin-vegan's Avatar

You can push the package firmware through the WIM remotely once you are connected to customer computer. But package file is about 600MB big, so it is not recomended. Instead there is a trick. If you rename the .pkg suffix to .rfu, you can upload this big file via FTP connection. Doing so in the LAN network will take only a while (depends on 100mbit/1Gbit network).
    If you can, test it first by yourself in lab environment, to see the process.
    Remote update is always tricky and bit risky because somebody can turn the machine off and so on.

Another safer way is to use Application Site. As admin, there is possibility to update the firmware from the Appsite menu from panel as user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Firmware without SD card

Quote Originally Posted by marvin-vegan View Post
    You can push the package firmware through the WIM remotely once you are connected to customer computer. But package file is about 600MB big, so it is not recomended. Instead there is a trick. If you rename the .pkg suffix to .rfu, you can upload this big file via FTP connection. Doing so in the LAN network will take only a while (depends on 100mbit/1Gbit network).
    If you can, test it first by yourself in lab environment, to see the process.
    Remote update is always tricky and bit risky because somebody can turn the machine off and so on.

Another safer way is to use Application Site. As admin, there is possibility to update the firmware from the Appsite menu from panel as user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    some Admins will not allow ftp onto their system, security risk is the reason why.

I don't think I would use FTP (bad experiences with it)
    I can kind of remember there is a way to do it via app site, because before each install I have to go in there and turn off remote firmware updates and auto update notice as they are absolute cancer to the machines.
    If it really ends up needing it I'll just have to go there in person... still unsure of problem yet until customer calls me back and talks me through all the details properly etc

try the APPsite. If the customer has admin account, he/she can do it by himself

imed spec.jpgupd.jpgmange_fw.jpgadmin_menu.jpg

sorry for order of images, its backwards. The last option allows you to set time when the update will perform.
    Last edited by marvin-vegan; 01-15-2021 at 03:32 PM. Reason: additional comment

Can you definitely perform this without any need of @remote? I read on another thread about it needing that for some reason, hopefully it can be done without it as I could just set it for when they go home and check tomorrow morning if it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    Can you definitely perform this without any need of @remote? I read on another thread about it needing that for some reason, hopefully it can be done without it as I could just set it for when they go home and check tomorrow morning if it worked.
    This is designed for customer usage to non-contract sales. No central (@remote) server is needed. But, there is one common thing for both services, it uses same firmware servers. It may happen that customerīs network environment will not allow you to reach these servers. For example big companies have strict rules for network traffic.

Basically your machine must have access to internet, especially HTTPS. It is possible to configure proxy settings (if needed).

One more thing, you have not specified the reason for updating FW, but in case you need just one or two modules, you can unpack the package, select file you needed and then push it again through WIM.
    Last edited by marvin-vegan; 01-15-2021 at 04:33 PM. Reason: grammar

It is something I have never heard of before, especially because they have no extra software or OCR whatsoever. When they scan to email, the format of the page comes out looking different, like logo has suddenly moved down 2 inches on page and both printed writing and handwriting somehow come out as &!*$*"&$ instead of letters.
    The closest thing I have had to that wasa couple of months ago, different customer with same model machine said they had scanning problems, I went there and they scan 5 pages, but when they open pdf it looked totally different, 1 page comes out like it had zoomed in to the corner, next page fine, next page verything was a lot smaller, next page fine... I updated firmware package and tested and was perfectly ok afterwards. Once again that was something I had never seen before and if firmware didn't fix it I would probably have come here to see if it had happened to anyone else before.

Can you upload example? pdf scan or at least photo? Donīt you have SMC report, SC history? Also syslog is useful. If you provide samples, I can check with colleague experienced with this series if he met such a thing.