MP 501 funny jam codes

Ive got a 501 thats jamming in the fuser pretty consistently(only in the afternoons, the customer says) but the part that I cant figure out is that it jams out of both trays. When it jams out of tray 1 it says its a J31(tray1 double feed) and when its out of tray 2 it throws a j54(sep sensor off) every single time. even though its only jamming in the exact same spot in the fuser. Its not double feeding or stopping at the separation sensor. I ordered a new fuser and a few new sensors that I'm going to replace this week but I dont feel confident that's the issue. any help would be appreciated.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 501 funny jam codes

Re: MP 501 funny jam codes

The trouble shooting may say double feed for J031 but both codes are actually Lag jams, the trail edge it late leaving the sensor. Usual causes are wrong paper size or defective/dirty sensor.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Replace the fuser.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

check your manual page 618

Hi!
    Sorry for posting it here but I'm wondering what was cure in your case. I'm having same j031 codes with SP5300. Since it's not "Ricoh-Ricoh" machine we can't just test sensors with 5803 cause only sensor there - paper exit one. Tech support doesn't know how to help either. Already cleaned sensors on board under main paper path, the one in fuser and paper exit right behind fuser. Only suggestion I have that activator for registration sensor is worn since machine has almost 540 K on it.
    Sorry again for posting here.
    Sent from Ericsson DBH 1001.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Do you clean the sensor in the drum unit?

Quote Originally Posted by limo View Post
    Do you clean the sensor in the drum unit?
    I replaced drum unit on a day before (cause there was squealing noise from it) and I checked it this time to be sure that sensor is clean too.
    Thanks!
    Sent from Ericsson DBH 1001.

I'm not sure if this is relevant in your situations but I had to do a call on a 501 a month or so ago for another dealer, I have very limited experience with these fake Ricohs (probably kyocera)
    It kept jamming they said from tray 1, I tested tray 2 and it also jammed from there. After looking around for a while I saw that the arm sensor when paper feeds upwards out of the tray was not springing back into its 'off' position. The tiny spring on it had slightly come unhooked and was hooked on another bit that was causing minimal resistance. So as paper fed over it, it would hit the 'on' position and after the paper had gone it was still 'on' making it seem like paper had double fed or got stuck. Hooked the spring back into its correct position and it immediately worked on both trays again with no jams.
    Have a look at that if you ever get these random jam problems on a 501/601, you never know could have happened to your machine too... although god knows how it happened!

Sorry for the late reply. oddly enough it went away after replacing the drum. thanks everyone