Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Ricoh Pro 8300s - SC 465

Hi, Ben Bradley from Rawson Digital - Wrexham Dealer
    sc465 PTR motor error
    We have a 8300s on around 500k. we are getting sc465 intermittent, where at the minute the customer is powering off and on to clear till we solve the problem.
    on my first visit i have removed the PTR unit checked its freedom of rotation, its fine. i have also stripped and emptied its waste. its coil (auger) is emptying fine. I also know the waste toner bottle has been replaced recent. checked that it has waste in it, so presuming waste is ok. but we have found a TB for the 8200 series about waste toner clumping RD270043
    After looking at the detailed descriptions in the service manual i have found that the PTR motor is actually driving 4 main things. The PTR roller and its waste. The ITB cleaning unit rollers and also its waste. The ITB cleaning unit parts yield are 600k so my next call i want to check the rotation of the ITB cleaning and its waste. my thinking this could be straining the PTR motor if its blocked?
    just wondering if anyone else has had this sc on this 8300s model? any help would be appreciated, as going down the TB above of the 8200s is a bigger tin of worms
    thanks Ben

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: Ricoh Pro 8300s - SC 465

Solutions from service manual:

1. Check if the paper transfer roller unit is overloaded (foreign objects in the unit, bearing locked or stuck).
    2. Check the connector of the PTR motor and the harness of the IOB connector (connector floating or disconnected)
    3. Replace the PTR motor (BLM6) .
    4. Replace the harness of the PTR motor (BLM6). (if it is broken, or welding is defective)
    5. Replace the IOB

Is it logging any SC488's in the background? If the waste system were to block on this low mileage, it could be the machine is in a highly unsuitable environment.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Solutions from service manual:

1. Check if the paper transfer roller unit is overloaded (foreign objects in the unit, bearing locked or stuck).
    2. Check the connector of the PTR motor and the harness of the IOB connector (connector floating or disconnected)
    3. Replace the PTR motor (BLM6) .
    4. Replace the harness of the PTR motor (BLM6). (if it is broken, or welding is defective)
    5. Replace the IOB

Is it logging any SC488's in the background? If the waste system were to block on this low mileage, it could be the machine is in a highly unsuitable environment.
    Hi Mate,
    thanks for the post. I am currently in contact with Ricoh Technical on this. will get back to this post and update!
    ben

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Ben View Post
    Hi, Ben Bradley from Rawson Digital - Wrexham Dealer
    sc465 PTR motor error
    We have a 8300s on around 500k. we are getting sc465 intermittent, where at the minute the customer is powering off and on to clear till we solve the problem.
    on my first visit i have removed the PTR unit checked its freedom of rotation, its fine. i have also stripped and emptied its waste. its coil (auger) is emptying fine. I also know the waste toner bottle has been replaced recent. checked that it has waste in it, so presuming waste is ok. but we have found a TB for the 8200 series about waste toner clumping RD270043
    After looking at the detailed descriptions in the service manual i have found that the PTR motor is actually driving 4 main things. The PTR roller and its waste. The ITB cleaning unit rollers and also its waste. The ITB cleaning unit parts yield are 600k so my next call i want to check the rotation of the ITB cleaning and its waste. my thinking this could be straining the PTR motor if its blocked?
    just wondering if anyone else has had this sc on this 8300s model? any help would be appreciated, as going down the TB above of the 8200s is a bigger tin of worms
    thanks Ben
    Hi...

Had this code on Pro8100, in this case, one of the connections on PTR motor circuit board was broken.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: Ricoh Pro 8300s - SC 465

cheers guys,

We found our problem. we had the itb out. The bracket bar that goes around housing frame underneath was bent, it was pushing against the belt slowing it down putting tension on the itb cleaning. the itb cleaning is also run my the ptr roller motor giving the sc465.
    we also swapped out the ptr lube bars / itb cleaning lube bar / drum lube bar as they were nearly worn out on 500k there yield is 600k so just a warning they are not lasting the 600k? these might of been a cause as well to our fault

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

If the machine goes through prolonged periods of not being used it will do process control when it wakes up, running the cleaning units and wearing the lube bars prematurely. Got a couple of Barons that run constantly and the lube bars easily reach PM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Have some experience with the 8300s, They love to be run if the customer runs them a lot the PM parts will make life and most of the time go over. I have machines that consistently get over 1 mil on webs and about 800K on the lube bars.

That being said machines that do a lot of start / stop short jobs. will not make PM life the PTR and ITB lube bars may only last 400- 450K also the PTR apply brush will start to squeal from the toner build up in the brass bushing.

I have seem a few machines eat through fuser webs as well. talking like 3rd web in 75K copies, haven't figured this one out yet but i am suspecting it it due to the power save timer that Ricoh recently issued a TSB on.

Have started seeing a rash of 471-05 codes on them as well that's been attributed to the ITB cleaning unit dragging the belt due to an expired lube bar before PM life.

Have had a few instances of SC520 fuser motor lock at about 750K have found the hot roller bearings seized up. Unfortunately you cant just get the hot roller without the bearings and brackets so the box is about 3 times the size of the old one. You can rebuild the pressure roller if in a pinch but it comes as a assy now with the lamp. you just have to remember the bearings go on opposite from the 8100/8200

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Pro 8300s  - SC 465

Quote Originally Posted by JaysOnTheEDGE View Post
    Have some experience with the 8300s, They love to be run if the customer runs them a lot the PM parts will make life and most of the time go over. I have machines that consistently get over 1 mil on webs and about 800K on the lube bars.

That being said machines that do a lot of start / stop short jobs. will not make PM life the PTR and ITB lube bars may only last 400- 450K also the PTR apply brush will start to squeal from the toner build up in the brass bushing.

I have seem a few machines eat through fuser webs as well. talking like 3rd web in 75K copies, haven't figured this one out yet but i am suspecting it it due to the power save timer that Ricoh recently issued a TSB on.

Have started seeing a rash of 471-05 codes on them as well that's been attributed to the ITB cleaning unit dragging the belt due to an expired lube bar before PM life.

Have had a few instances of SC520 fuser motor lock at about 750K have found the hot roller bearings seized up. Unfortunately you cant just get the hot roller without the bearings and brackets so the box is about 3 times the size of the old one. You can rebuild the pressure roller if in a pinch but it comes as a assy now with the lamp. you just have to remember the bearings go on opposite from the 8100/8200
    One thing that I have noticed is that on productions models that do a lot of short jobs you need to be looking not at the PM page counts but instead at the PM rotation counts those items that do nit make PM count are most likely over 100% on rotation counts. All those engine parts start rotating, and therefore wearing, before the led edge of the first sheet gets to the PTR and continue to rotate after the trail edge of the last sheet leaves the PTR until it fully exits.

Another thing I found was that a 60 ppm martini with a booklet finisher can do small center stapled fold over booklets/pamphlets as fast as a Pro1357EX unless the customer went the cost for a Plockmatic. the 1357 waits with the engine spinning until one booklet has fully exited the finisher before starting the next one.