Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Ricoh MPS 3003 with code SC552-02 and a missing HD

We have a new customer that has a Ricoh MPS 3003 that is supposed to giving a SC552-02 service code. I have found that it is a fuser code. But for some reason, the customer has now said the HD is missing. I am not clear as to what came first as all the info, I have has come from my boss who is a salesman, not a tech.

I have little or no experience with Ricoh machines. I don’t know how to get them into service mode. I did find out that the HD is 500GB One of those would easy enough to come by.
    Once I get the machine going, I’m supposed to set it up to print and scan. Printing is no problem. However, I have never set up a Ricoh to scan to folder or scan to email. I have set up scanning (to folder and email) on Kyocera, Konica, Sharp, and Okidata so I am familiar with what that entails.

So here are my questions:

Can any HD be used as long as it's 500GB or larger?

If I replace the HD, is it just plug a new one in place of the old one and the machine will set the HD up once it is powered up?

Once the HD is in, are there any special things needed to be done before setting the device upon the network?

What is Error code SC552-02 all about?

Does that require a fuser replacement or rebuild?

I don’t like deals like this especially when the boss says stuff like ‘once we get this going, we will be able to sell them a new machine later’. In the meantime, we will give them inferior service because we are not a Ricoh dealer. However, I do understand these are hard times and we gotta do what we can to bring in money.

With that in mind, I would welcome any help and I do thank you in advance.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MPS 3003 with code SC552-02 and a missing HD

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    We have a new customer that has a Ricoh MPS 3003 that is supposed to giving a SC552-02 service code. I have found that it is a fuser code. But for some reason, the customer has now said the HD is missing. I am not clear as to what came first as all the info, I have has come from my boss who is a salesman, not a tech.

I have little or no experience with Ricoh machines. I don’t know how to get them into service mode. I did find out that the HD is 500GB One of those would easy enough to come by.
    Once I get the machine going, I’m supposed to set it up to print and scan. Printing is no problem. However, I have never set up a Ricoh to scan to folder or scan to email. I have set up scanning (to folder and email) on Kyocera, Konica, Sharp, and Okidata so I am familiar with what that entails.

If I replace the HD, is it just plug a new one in place of the old one and the machine will set the HD up once it is powered up?

Once the HD is in, are there any special things needed to be done before setting the device upon the network?

I don’t like deals like this especially when the boss says stuff like ‘once we get this going, we will be able to sell them a new machine later’. In the meantime, we will give them inferior service because we are not a Ricoh dealer. However, I do understand these are hard times and we gotta do what we can to bring in money.

you really need to get a manual...all your questions are covered i n it

manual requests go here: https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/s...nual-requests/

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

The sc552 may just need a thermistor cleaning, or it could need a rebuild with a new sleeve. After replacing the HDD (I would use the same capacity drive) the only thing you would need to do is download the stamp data using service mode. As far as scanning, search on youtube for scanning to windows 10 with a Ricoh.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Retired 10,000+ Posts

SC552-02 is a reload error for the center thermopile. The thermopiles are mounted on a bracket mounted in the well that the fusing unit mounts int. It is right above the machine side of the fusing connector.

As for the HDD, is this a used machine that you or someone else sold the customer without properly testing it first? Or has someone at the customer removed it?

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

The sc552 is thermopile error but it could be loose pin or connection check thermistors plugs and pins.
    How does the customer know there's no hdd you need a sata 250gb 7200rpm
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Sounds like you have walked into a s**t storm.

First check the machine if the machine has an HDD (simply remove the rear left cover) default HDD was 320Gb so simply replace if this is missing. The machine will prompt you to format, choose yes. Thats all you need to do.

Re the SC522-02 most likely a piece of paper is wrapped around the fuser sleeve, however if this client is a long drive take a new sleeve with you to replace.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

First of all, I would like to thank all for your posts as they were helpful things to know before I walked into that shit storm.

Phil B - I have a manual. I had Konica manuals but before I went to a Konica class, the manuals were hard to understand. I have found this to be true of most manufacturers. So, for me, having a manual doesn’t help me too much unless I've been to a class.

mikadonovan – I did check out the fuser but found nothing really wrong.

slimbob – I didn’t know before hand, but when I arrived the HD was missing. I replaced it with one of the same size and GB.

mga – the fuser error went away shortly after I installed the new HD.

copier tech – Yup. It was a bit of a sh*t storm. But I got through it.

It turns out the machine was bought at an online auction and arrived w/o the HD. The customer turned out to be a ministry that helps drug addicts get off the street and on their feet. They turned it on when it arrived and the codes the machine made were the codes they relayed back to us.

I installed the HD w/o problem and it formatted just like you guys said it would. I removed the fuser a couple of times and gave it a hard exam but found nothing wrong. Each time I took it out, I power down the machine. After one of the times replacing the fuser and powering it back up, the fuser code just didn’t come back (it’s a miracle!!!). I didn’t look a gift horse in the mouth, so I moved on.

Getting the machine on the network was where I hit the wall. That was because whenever I tried to get to where I could change the network settings, the machine said I didn’t have rights to do so. I put in every user name I could find to use. The web interface was the same. I could get in. I found ‘admin’ user name and blank (putting nothing in the field) for the password was just one of the many combinations I was prompted to use w/o success. I finally found a YouTube from maybe Russia that helped me jailbreak the machine so I could use ‘admin’ as user name and blank as a password. I didn’t understand a word that guy was saying but by watching and copying what he was doing I learned how to enter service mode and use 5816-209 to reset the password.
    Once I was in, it was easy putting the machine on the net and get printing and scan to email to work.

The customer was very pleased. I billed them, got a check, and got out quick. I think I could now service that machine as seemed in pretty good shape. I did find out yesterday that my boss talked to them about a service agreement, but they turned it down. For some reason, they wish to be an on-call type of customer. My boss grumbled that they told him they could find toner cheaper online than they could buy from us. Fine by me.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

so lucky mate.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I said "The web interface was the same. I could get in."

I should have said "The web interface was the same. I could NOT get in."