Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Savin 2545 - How to modify Scan to network location / address book

Re: Savin 2545 - How to modify Scan to network location / address book

Quote Originally Posted by IT Tropolis View Post
    Got it. I'll stay away from the ScanRouter s/w and hopefully convince the client that it's time to upgrade machines!

When I search Savin's site on model Aficio 1045, they offer the GlobalScan NX software. But would downloading/installing GlobalScan NX be a waste of time, i.e. do you know that it won't connect to the Savin 2545?

Thanks for all the help!
    Downloading/installing GlobalScan NX would not only be a waste of time but a waste of money as it is not free. It requires the GlobalScan NX SDK application be installed on each MFP. SDK applications require that the copier have JAVA VM installed which the 2545 does not support. Processor on the controller board is too old. The customer's best use of their money would be to purchase/lease a new machine that fully supports SMB v3.

Product specialst support marvin-vegan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Dammit Tim! I knew someone would say "it" .

It's like the ZOMBIE software......it just keeps coming back!

Note for the poster:
    Should you actually find a download for this POS software....DO NOT....I Repeat, DO NOT attempt to install it on a Windows 8/10 system! It WILL break the OS beyond repair. I'm advising you from first hand knowledge.

With that said.....I'm done here
    Agree and confirmed. It will also damage WIN7. Happened to me once. System reinstall was needed. Non of repairs helped, no recovery. Scan router app will damage your registry as it was designed maximally for winxp(win95).
    One client persisted to have once again 10years ago, we recommended to install it on closed virtual station with winxp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

So it looks like twain is the only option? Better that nothing i guess.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    So it looks like twain is the only option? Better that nothing i guess.
    Getting them to dump that dinosaur would be another. There are much newer machines that could be purchased even second hand with much better support for a modern environment. Keep in mind, Windows 95 was still supported and Windows XP was a few months away from release when this machine was new (2001).

I'm shocked it isn't puking toner all over itself by this point.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I don't understand...

How is it that so often in the IT world it's accepted that software, operating systems and hardware have a limited lifespan, and need to be refreshed periodically, but MFPs are expected to just keep on ticking along forever? So many folks seem to think that a simple firmware update or upgrade will magically breathe new life into a 20 year old relic.

It just doesn't work that way.

It may help to realize that an MFP is actually a computer, completed with a processor, memory, (sometimes a HDD) and an OS. It's really no different in that respect.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I don't understand...

How is it that so often in the IT world it's accepted that software, operating systems and hardware have a limited lifespan, and need to be refreshed periodically, but MFPs are expected to just keep on ticking along forever? So many folks seem to think that a simple firmware update or upgrade will magically breathe new life into a 20 year old relic.

It just doesn't work that way.

It may help to realize that an MFP is actually a computer, completed with a processor, memory, (sometimes a HDD) and an OS. It's really no different in that respect.
    I think the reason is that some customers are cheap and they can go buy a PC relatively cheap. A copier is more expensive and they don't want to pony up the money and expect the tech to work his magic to keep it up and running.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I think the reason is that some customers are cheap and they can go buy a PC relatively cheap. A copier is more expensive and they don't want to pony up the money and expect the tech to work his magic to keep it up and running.
    I don't think it helps that some salespeople tend to give the impression that it will be the last copier they'll ever need.

That type of salesperson doesn't worry about any future repeat sales, because they know they won't be around that long.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Product specialst support marvin-vegan's Avatar

Another point of view and reason for keeping that ancient technology live is the ecology. The attempt to keep the machine alive as long as possible. I can uderstand it. It´s like with your brand new car. You probably care about it and you want to have it as long as possible. At least 10 or 15 years. And if it is in good shape you can run it as long as you want and spare parts are available. For example emerging markets (Egypt, or Africa?) like to buy these machines and kind of repair/reconstruct them and use them anyhow anyway possible. I know older toner itself is not quite ecologocial but still it´s better to recycle and run these machines than manufacture new and new models every year as the consume market demands. I know it sounds heretical but there is a bit of truth in it. And from mechanical point of view some older models had been designed to endure longer.. more heavy robust metalic parts(not plastic, or lightweight metal) and so on..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by marvin-vegan; 01-27-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvin-vegan View Post
    Another point of view and reason for keeping that ancient technology live is the ecology. The attempt to keep the machine alive as long as possible. I can uderstand it. It´s like with your brand new car. You probably care about it and you want to have it as long as possible. At least 10 or 15 years. And if it is in good shape you can run it as long as you want and spare parts are available.
    There's some validity to the argument, though you reach a point where that car becomes more expensive because it's less efficient and even further down the slope you lose any ecological benefits from the higher fuel consumption, fewer emissions controls, etc. In this instance, the customer had passed the point of savings. To scan they also needed some ancient PC, that was probably junked causing scanning to stop, which meant that it was taking two old and inefficient devices to accomplish the same task of a single newer machine.

Most of my customers are using machines purchased off lease, which is considerably cheaper and the feature sets are perfectly capable of supporting the needs of the business. It also means that we have to pay closer attention to their needs to anticipate how much longer that equipment is going to meet them. The older equipment can always be moved off to a customer or office with fewer requirements. After all, I still have a garage as a customer with a 1027 that they only use as a copier and fax machine. It does a hundred clicks a month and it's completely on T&M charges now, but it does what they need it to do.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk