Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP C2004ex scanning OCR question

Re: Ricoh MP C2004ex scanning OCR question

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, it needs to be known how the scans will be stored and accessed.

Will the docs be best hosted on a local server, or possibly on the Web?

Will they be dropped into other applications?

Some courts require the docs to be at a certain version of PDF or higher, and will reject older versions. Don’t assume that a current version of software will be current with PDF versions.

Would a workflow be desirable, performing zonal OCR and filing the docs based on those fields?

Is Bates Numbering desired?

eCopy ShareScan and AutoStore are two other solutions to consider.

Sorry to apparently overcomplicate the subject, but these are the types of questions that need to be answered and accounted for.
    I have had customers that were bankruptcy lawyers. The main requirement for documents submitted to the US Bankruptcy Court was that they be scanned at 300 dpi or better. They used a software specifically designed for submitting documents to the court. It used pull scanning requiring TWAIN or WIA drivers.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Ricoh MP C2004ex scanning OCR question

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob;[URL="tel:1699965"
    1699965[/URL]]I have had customers that were bankruptcy lawyers. The main requirement for documents submitted to the US Bankruptcy Court was that they be scanned at 300 dpi or better. They used a software specifically designed for submitting documents to the court. It used pull scanning requiring TWAIN or WIA drivers.
    I had one lawyer with a Canon machine some years back. I forget which model it was.

While not OCRing, the scanned PDFs were being rejected by the court, as the version of PDF required was 1.5, and the MFP only produced 1.3.

There was no firmware update or upgrade available to resolve the issue.

They wound up buying Acrobat to convert to the required version, which added more time and expense.

BTW...I have found software that would allow scanning TWAIN from a folder; it acted as middleware.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins