Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Ricoh MP C6503 - Card reader works until sleep or reboot

Hi All, we are setting up several Ricoh machines to use a card reader for authentication.

We have 2 MP C6503 machines.
    • 1 machine works fine with the card reader
    • The other machine only works once we set it up, then stops working after it wakes from sleep or after a reboot.
    • However, when it is not working, the card reader still beeps when a card is swiped indicating that it is still receiving 5v from the USB.

Troubleshooting:
    • We have swapped card readers between the 2 and the problem stays with the Ricoh, not the card readers.
    • Firmware versions are the same.
    • Setup and any usb settings that I am aware of are consistent but I could be missing something so open for ideas.

Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Ricoh MP C6503 - Card reader works until sleep or reboot

This may sound silly, and could potentially be a lot of grunt work, but have you tried physically reversing the machines?

I have seen problems with power that can wig out card readers.

I had a school out in the sticks a few years ago with power issues, as they were across the street from a factory which caused power problems for them. Some MP6502s worked OK, others did not. They had a MPC7502 that never even hiccuped.

We even tried a powered USB hub, but that did not help.

The voltage monitor we used (which admittedly, was a cheap POC), showed no issues with the power.

If I may ask, what application are you using the readers with? In my case, it was CAP.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician

Hi KenB,
    Yeah, that is a good suggestion. I have also seen unexplainable issues resolved by a power related issue that is hard to identify. We will explore that as an option.

We are doing cost recovery with an application called nQueue.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Seems like a usb port sleep issue. If the usb port is kept-alive on the good machine, but set to power off when the other machine sleeps.

Is the card reader active and bleeping on swipe, even with the machine in sleep mode? Have you tried plugging in a usb phone charger and seeing if your phone stops charging when the copier sleeps?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jhalfhide View Post
    Seems like a usb port sleep issue. If the usb port is kept-alive on the good machine, but set to power off when the other machine sleeps.

Is the card reader active and bleeping on swipe, even with the machine in sleep mode? Have you tried plugging in a usb phone charger and seeing if your phone stops charging when the copier sleeps?

The OP said in his first post that the reader does beep when the copier is sleeping.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I'm not sure you can rule out firmware. I would update all firmware before doing anything else. Don't forget to update the smart panel OS and Apps too.

There are also settings in user tools, admin settings to control how deep the machine goes to sleep, check both machines to see if the settings match.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Are Extended Features settings the same on both machines? JAVA can cause some functions such as User Tools and SP modes to not work for 5 minutes or more following a reboot and might also affect recovery from Sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Are Extended Features settings the same on both machines? JAVA can cause some functions such as User Tools and SP modes to not work for 5 minutes or more following a reboot and might also affect recovery from Sleep.
    It’s also very easy to overlook Java and forget about updating it, as it is separate on a lot of models.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    The OP said in his first post that the reader does beep when the copier is sleeping.
    It was ambiguous. They said "it does beep when not working, indicating power". Does that mean it beeps after the machine has been woken up, or whilst still asleep?

Technician

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. Unfortunately I won't be able to do more testing until I can go out to the client's site, which will likely be a couple weeks out. I will let you all know if I'm able to find a resolution or get you the further information you need. As some people have asked about Java, I should add that these are all Android devices.