Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: customer moved and want to use a cell phone hot spot to print/scan?

I would think that even if you can get it to work with the mobile hotspot that the fees occurred for that service would far exceed the savings of not getting a normal ISP Internet service.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    customer moved and want to use a cell phone hot spot to print/scan?

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I would think that even if you can get it to work with the mobile hotspot that the fees occurred for that service would far exceed the savings of not getting a normal ISP Internet service.
    I sure they have an unlimited line. Verizon lines are full speed access up to 54 gig month. That's plenty for most applications.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

How can a legal firm operate without a good internet connection, tell them to spend some of the big bucks they charge their clients with an ISP.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    How can a legal firm operate without a good internet connection, tell them to spend some of the big bucks they charge their clients with an ISP.

WHOEVER said LAWYERS are smart.............
    They refuse to heed my concern for not having any antivirus on any of their PCs......
    I am done trying to talk people into common sense............just too taxing..................
    I rather service a company that uses their hands for a living,they seem to get it..

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    I sure they have an unlimited line. Verizon lines are full speed access up to 54 gig month. That's plenty for most applications.
    That may or may not apply to HotSpot.

They would need to check.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

One of the most nightmarish clients I ever had was a lawyer.

He did not have one of our copiers, but he did buy AutoStore (a scanning solution), along with Document Mall from us. The two products work together nicely.

He wanted to use his neighbor’s networked Ricoh MP C4502 for scanning, which his neighbor was OK with. They were not on the same network. AutoStore would be installed on the copier.

He insisted that it was our responsibility to make this hair brained idea fly...NOT. While he did have his own Internet ISP, it was not the same as his neighbor. Unfortunately, neither his wireless or his neighbor’s was strong enough to see the other.

I seriously wonder what the dork of a salesman was thinking when he sold the software.

He ended up scanning to a USB thumb drive, then manually copying the data into AutoStore, which was way more labor intensive.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

I have done this install for a remote worker. It was a little A4 MFD in addition to the head office contract.

Most mobile phones will allow tethering for a small handful of devices, although each connection is an internet only one. There is no inter-device communication allowed. This means no connection to the MFD, and the MFD will have no connection to the computers to scan to folder (email would work).

You'd need a router that allows USB phone tethering out of the box, or a router that can be flashed with something like DD-WRT or OpenWRT, which can be flashed to some routers and then enable usb phone tethering.

You can get some cheap 2 port routers for next to nothing, such as this one that I keep in my bag for connecting up to machines whilst keeping it on the customer's network GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango) Wireless Mini Portable VPN Travel Router, Mobile Hotspot in Pocket, WiFi Repeater Bridge, Range Extender, OpenVPN Client, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

With an actual router, you can plug the MFD in and the client's computers can be connected wirelessly. They would all be able to access the copier to print, and scan. Internet would only be accessible if someone plugged their phone in to the USB port, and any of the user's could do this if the other were out.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk