Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Paper jams with double-sided printing on Ricoh Aficio MF C2051

Hello!

I am using the Aficio MF C2051 copy-printer.

The problem is that the printer has recently started to jam when printing on both sides of the paper. Before the paper jam occurs, the printer makes a loud noise that sounds as if the paper sheet is no longer being transported properly by a roller in the printer and the rubber rollers on the paper are slipping. This is a scraping, creaking humming noise. The paper jam usually occurs in such a way that I have to open the rear flap and then open the inner flap in the machine with the blue lever "B". Behind it there is a sheet of paper that is printed on one side and where the toner is not yet fixed but about 3/4 of the toner has been applied.

When I remove the jammed paper, printing usually continues, but after about 20-30 sheets the problem occurs again.

I suspect it has something to do with the feed into the fuser-unit.

Does anyone have any experience with the machine or the problem? What can I do?

I'm happy about any hints

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ridgemill's Avatar

Re: Paper jams with double-sided printing on Ricoh Aficio MF C2051

Most duplex jams, for this model, are caused by the duplex entrance guides breaking. If you open the right door, and look at the guides on the top; take note of any broken fins.

Also, the duplex exit sensor may need cleaning.

We find that most of the noises these make, are caused by the oil felt, inside the fusing sleeve, going dry.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The letter jam location "B" is to tell the operator where to look for the jammed paper. It has nothing to do with what caused the jam. Can you tell us what the actual jam code is? It will be in the form o the letter J followed by a three digit number. That number tell us techs which sensor detected the jam and whether it was a lead edge jam or a trail edge jam.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

As mentioned before the 'claws' of the junction gate duplex enterance were broken and had falen everywhere into the machine and in the paper path.
    I also think that the ITB belt is thorn.
    Fixing this problem by yourself correctly as a user will be very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The letter jam location "B" is to tell the operator where to look for the jammed paper. It has nothing to do with what caused the jam. Can you tell us what the actual jam code is? It will be in the form o the letter J followed by a three digit number. That number tell us techs which sensor detected the jam and whether it was a lead edge jam or a trail edge jam.
    Is there are log of the errors available on the machine, so that I can find this error-code? When I download the standart-log from web image monitor with admin login I can not find error-codes...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jens_Berlin View Post
    Hello!

I am using the Aficio MF C2051 copy-printer.

The problem is that the printer has recently started to jam when printing on both sides of the paper. Before the paper jam occurs, the printer makes a loud noise that sounds as if the paper sheet is no longer being transported properly by a roller in the printer and the rubber rollers on the paper are slipping. This is a scraping, creaking humming noise. The paper jam usually occurs in such a way that I have to open the rear flap and then open the inner flap in the machine with the blue lever "B". Behind it there is a sheet of paper that is printed on one side and where the toner is not yet fixed but about 3/4 of the toner has been applied.

When I remove the jammed paper, printing usually continues, but after about 20-30 sheets the problem occurs again.

I suspect it has something to do with the feed into the fuser-unit.

Does anyone have any experience with the machine or the problem? What can I do?

I'm happy about any hints
    This noise you are referring to is caused by the fuser, the lubrication dries out.
    You can simply replace the fuser sleeve ass'y this will stop the noise & jamming.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    This noise you are referring to is caused by the fuser, the lubrication dries out.
    You can simply replace the fuser sleeve ass'y this will stop the noise & jamming.
    After printing some pages and trying to reproduce the error for the error-code now the machine stopped and shows an big error message on the screen with the error code "SC553". I can not click the window away, it is blocked. Showing a service-number that I should call...

After printing some pages and trying to reproduce the error for the error-code now the machine stopped and shows an big error message on the screen with the error code "SC553". I can not click the window away, it is blocked. Showing a service-number that I should call...
    O.k., I managed to solve the problem with this video: Error code SC553 rest RICOH Aficio MP3350/MP2550/MP2591/MP3391 - YouTube

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

SC553 is a fuser error, along with the jamming, and noise issues you are experiencing, I think you need to call a technician, it sounds like some fuser parts are required on this device. It's not a good idea to reset error codes without having the fuser checked first as some of them indicate an overheat condition, if you reset the code on a device that has overheated then you are heating up parts that are already too hot, this will cause more damage to the device, requiring further parts to need replacing
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    SC553 is a fuser error, along with the jamming, and noise issues you are experiencing, I think you need to call a technician, it sounds like some fuser parts are required on this device. It's not a good idea to reset error codes without having the fuser checked first as some of them indicate an overheat condition, if you reset the code on a device that has overheated then you are heating up parts that are already too hot, this will cause more damage to the device, requiring further parts to need replacing
    Thanks a lot for that hints!

Maybe it's cheaper and easier to buy a new one? I found one on ebay for 155€...Original Ricoh Fusing Unit D106-4006

I think for this price it is not worth calling a technician... might be more expensive.
    What do you think?