Technician

Fast wide format Color printing high volume dilema

What do you do when your Ricoh 5100en customer now needs a fast color printer/scanner to produce 3000 "D" prints per month? KIP 800 series or HP Pagewide XL? My only experience servicing WF is Ricoh, and they offer no solution.
    At least 4 rolls is required. They have no interest in OCE. Thanks.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Fast wide format Color printing high volume dilema

I can confirm that the HP Pagewide XL will do the job. I've been incredibly impressed with these plotters. The heavier you run them the better they run. I have some experience with Kip, and there is no comparison. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Yeah the 4 roll would be a problem for Ricoh color WF. They offer it in B/W but not color.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

The KIP 870 four roll system has a Canadian MSRP of $39,000. The KIP 890 with a MSRP of $53,000. Plus $800.00 in start up toner.

KIP 800 Series for Graphics Printing US - YouTube

I do not have enough info to compare the cost per square foot charge which at 3,000 D pages per month is significant. It sounds like a lot but for production wide format the KIP 870 could reliably do the job.

I suspect the KIP is more expensive to acquire than the HP but less expensive to operate with the Total cost of ownership in KIPs favor.

The KIP 800 series does have a very good built in cost calculator to help the end user accurately price jobs.

The service contract would be sold toner out.

On a 60 month lease that is 180,000 D size prints.

If you are not an authorized KIP reseller, you have to take a mandatory KIP technical training course at your expense before being granted access to resell the hardware.

The HPs will be up there in price and offer their unique pagewide inkjet system vs toner based on the KIP. I think a comparable HP would be faster in terms of mm/sec print speed.

If you are not an authorized HP Pagewide reseller, they make you jump through a lot of hoops to be able to sell their product and can be very frustrating to deal with. Again, you have to get factory trained first to sell the product.

The revenue from this account will be good.

Your business owner has to make a decision to be in this market or not with a significant cost to enter.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 03-05-2021 at 03:16 AM.

Technician

Wow, you guys are great, thanks for info.
    Full discloser: I've had this account (my own small family WF business) for over 35 years. I took them in the 80's from an ammonia blueprint machine to a Ricoh FW740, to 2 Ricoh W470's
    (probably combined 1.5 million LFt + on those workhorses !!)...then a W480/W2400/W5100en combination.
    I knew a day would come when they would ask for high speed color, but as a loyal Ricoh dealer, I was hoping for some good news.
    I think I'll be able to keep our foot in the door with a new W6700 (new generation of family mbrs have decided to upgrade all printers)...but it is inevitable the fast color WF is going to happen. So my contribution for their transition is to act as an advisor...losing the revenue sucks, but I feel only I can guide them in the right direction and help them make the right decision.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esoxgreg View Post
    Full discloser: I've had this account (my own small family WF business) for over 35 years. I took them in the 80's from an ammonia blueprint machine to a Ricoh FW740, to 2 Ricoh W470's
    (probably combined 1.5 million LFt + on those workhorses !!)...then a W480/W2400/W5100en combination.
    I knew a day would come when they would ask for high speed color, but as a loyal Ricoh dealer, I was hoping for some good news.
    I think I'll be able to keep our foot in the door with a new W6700 (new generation of family mbrs have decided to upgrade all printers)...but it is inevitable the fast color WF is going to happen. So my contribution for their transition is to act as an advisor...losing the revenue sucks, but I feel only I can guide them in the right direction and help them make the right decision.
    You would be well served to seek out wide format expert Art Post at www.p4photel.com for advice. He also promotes Ricoh product. Or contact him on Linkedin. I know he would be happy to help. Mention SalesServiceGuy recommended him.

Wide format is not my strength.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esoxgreg View Post
    If it wasn't for the 4 roll thing, the Ricoh MP CW2201SP is a stable wide print color. Especially with high volume. Heavier usage keep the nozzles clean. Find out if they really need 4 different width paper online all the time. Some super salesman might be trying to sell them something they don't need.

I run into this blog regarding the canon imageprograf tz-30000 series it says the fastest imagePROGRAF ever!! a wide format printer..

Canon recently announced their latest additions to their imagePROGRAF line of large format printers with new hybrid solutions, the imagePROGRAF TZ-30000 Series. Offering high-speed printing, security features and advanced media handling, these new solutions are designed to benefit a variety of Production CAD markets including architecture, engineering, government, manufacturing – just to name a few – at a low acquisition cost.

Built with productivity in mind, the imagePROGRAF TZ-30000 series delivers high-speed printing. It can print a D-sized (24” x 36”) drawing in as fast as 14 seconds, and up to 236 D-sized prints per hour. To read more you can click here