Ricoh MP 3054 - Address Book & HDD errors & Replacement Issues

Hi There!
    I have a Ricoh MP 3054 which came to us as a trade-off. The photocopier works fine when HDD is not installed.
    However, when a new HDD is installed, it takes a bit of time and prompts HDD replaced and it will be formatted.
    When the format option is pressed, immediately HDD Formatted is displayed (which is unusual as it should take some time)
    It asks to be rebooted, when done so it again goes to prompt that there is a problem with HDD and it needs to be formatted.
    Only then in the below left corner of the touch panel, it displays either or combination of the following errors, SC860, SC 870,
    SC 872, SC873, SC925.
    If anyone has faced and solved this issue, your experience and help is highly appreciated.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP 3054 - Address Book & HDD errors & Replacement Issues

Quote Originally Posted by zeeaxis View Post
    Hi There!
    I have a Ricoh MP 3054 which came to us as a trade-off. The photocopier works fine when HDD is not installed.
    However, when a new HDD is installed, it takes a bit of time and prompts HDD replaced and it will be formatted.
    When the format option is pressed, immediately HDD Formatted is displayed (which is unusual as it should take some time)
    It asks to be rebooted, when done so it again goes to prompt that there is a problem with HDD and it needs to be formatted.
    Only then in the below left corner of the touch panel, it displays either or combination of the following errors, SC860, SC 870,
    SC 872, SC873, SC925.
    If anyone has faced and solved this issue, your experience and help is highly appreciated.
    Try updating the firmware then format again.

Was this a new HDD from Ricoh & what size is it?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technical Support 100+ Posts Juggy's Avatar

Hi There!
    SC 872, SC873, SC925.
    Hi There!
    we had faced such issues and lost two controllers. First confirm if the plugged HDD is working fine by connecting using external HDD case to your laptop. If it works fine, then the controller is faulty. We had one failed HDD which one of our technicians connected to another copier to test the HDD and unfortunate it blew up the controller HDD port of second machine. We had same symptom which is explained above. When connecting HDD it will display format HDD, with in no time it will say format completed. This will fall in loop. But the copier will work as basic copier when HDD is disconnected. In our case it was Hard disk faulty which had some internal short circuit. We had to scrap the HDD. Hope this helps you.

Sent from my LLD-AL10 using Tapatalk

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Hi There!
    SC 872, SC873, SC925.
    Hope this helps also make sure you replace with correct size hdd also possible faulty cable
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    Hi There!
    we had faced such issues and lost two controllers. First confirm if the plugged HDD is working fine by connecting using external HDD case to your laptop. If it works fine, then the controller is faulty. We had one failed HDD which one of our technicians connected to another copier to test the HDD and unfortunate it blew up the controller HDD port of second machine. We had same symptom which is explained above. When connecting HDD it will display format HDD, with in no time it will say format completed. This will fall in loop. But the copier will work as basic copier when HDD is disconnected. In our case it was Hard disk faulty which had some internal short circuit. We had to scrap the HDD. Hope this helps you.

Sent from my LLD-AL10 using Tapatalk
    So I did check the HDD using a portable drive case and it was working fine. so I put this HDD which is btw of 160GB capacity, in another Ricoh Aficio MP 301SPF and it got formatted normally and worked fine. I checked all the HDD dependant features like DS, scan/print from memory storage device, scan to folder etc. all are working fine. which brings me to the same conclusion as yours that the SATA interface on the controller has somehow gone to heaven. I will see if can manage a firmware upgrade on the controller as suggested by other member of the group.
    I truly appreciate your help. I will hopefully give you guys feedback if I come across a definitive solution.

My regards to everyone.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

So I did check the HDD using a portable drive case and it was working fine. so I put this HDD which is btw of 160GB capacity, in another Ricoh Aficio MP 301SPF and it got formatted normally and worked fine. I checked all the HDD dependant features like DS, scan/print from memory storage device, scan to folder etc. all are working fine. which brings me to the same conclusion as yours that the SATA interface on the controller has somehow gone to heaven. I will see if can manage a firmware upgrade on the controller as suggested by other member of the group.
    I truly appreciate your help. I will hopefully give you guys feedback if I come across a definitive solution.

My regards to everyone.
    Before you replace the controller, try a new SATA cable and power cable. They have been known to go bad.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

My regards to everyone.
    Ok so you fitted a 160GB HDD this was not ‘new’

Fit a NEW 320GB hard drive this will resolve the issue.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Ok so you fitted a 160GB HDD this was not ‘new’

Fit a NEW 320GB hard drive this will resolve the issue.
    Ah yes, the Product Support Guide does say 320GB. You can put in something larger but smaller, especially half that size will not format.

Dear copier tech & slimslob!
    I have seen units installed with smaller HDDs which seem to work fine.
    However, I will do as you suggested and give my feedback on this.
    Best regards.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Dear copier tech & slimslob!
    I have seen units installed with smaller HDDs which seem to work fine.
    That may have been true years ago when Ricoh could be the larger drive in volume for a huge quantity discount. Not true with the 54s and later. Even the 240GB they used in the previous model were not large enough.

However, I will do as you suggested and give my feedback on this.
    Best regards.
    You have wasted a lot of time fucking around with the wrong size drive without even checking what Ricoh's specs were. Before I retired 4 years ago my time was billable at $120.00 an hour. You can buy the exact same Toshiba 320GB drive that Ricoh uses from Amazon for $37.00. Hope you work for yourself. If ypou worked for anyone like I used to you be out pounding sand. If you need manuals,there is a forum for requesting them.