Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Re: WSD inactive but still being found on PC

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    Definitely not from a server and it's not installed on other PCs here.
    Yeh PIPS from data direct, you seem to be the first person other than me on here that's ever heard of it.
    in windows 10, under private or public network page selection, you can disable "detect new device on lan" it is not written exactly like that, but the meaning is that

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    WSD inactive but still being found on PC

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    in windows 10, under private or public network page selection, you can disable "detect new device on lan" it is not written exactly like that, but the meaning is that
    Network and Sharing Center
    Change advanced sharing settings.
    Network Discovery
    You can either turn off network discovery or uncheck the box for "Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices

Yeh luca72 I know about that, I can't really go turning it off on every customer PC I install machines on though. Be very nice and easy if I could but it's one of those things that can get you in trouble later down the line. I had to turn it off on my office PC though because every time I setup a machine it was adding itself to my selection of printers. I used my MD's PC a long while back and he had about 30 wsd printers in there. For something designed to be convenient and helpful it is such a pain.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Network discovery may find the device but if WSD is turned off on the device it will not be used as the port. It will be installed to use either the IP or the device name. The problem is that it will most likely use Microsoft's Ricoh class driver. Doesn't properly support peripherals and will also cause slow printing.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    So extra things to try so far are diable bonjour, snmp, arp and ipp.
    Not sure about bonjour, I don't think disabling snmp will help me because I use software called PIPS and i'm very certain it uses snmp to pull information through which for me would be a bigger problem. I probably don't want to stop airprint working as that seems to be a good selling point so that will come back and bite me in the ass. Also not sure about arp because I don't really have knowledge on it... as in no idea what it is or does?
    It couldn't just be a switch off and on in user tools or SP mode could it...

How have you made out with this?

This has become a real PIA for me over the last couple of years or so.
    It seems to me that disabling all the WSD and IPP settings used to prevent the PC from discovering the printer, but that's certainly no longer the case, and my calls for SC899's are driving me nuts!
    I found this discussion, and have disabled Bonjour on my personal printer to test and it seems to have resolved the issue, but I've not had the chance to try elsewhere.

Not fully understanding what Bonjour does.... my question is:
    Will it have any negative effects that I'm unaware of?

I only deal with smallish workgroups with basic printing/ scanning. No 3rd party apps installed on any of my machines, etc.
    Does it have any effect on connecting mobile devices? (My android fine still connects fine).

Thanks for the input!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post

It seems to me that disabling all the WSD and IPP settings used to prevent the PC from discovering the printer, but that's certainly no longer the case, and my calls for SC899's are driving me nuts!
    I found this discussion, and have disabled Bonjour on my personal printer to test and it seems to have resolved the issue, but I've not had the chance to try elsewhere.

I only deal with smallish workgroups with basic printing/ scanning. No 3rd party apps installed on any of my machines, etc.
    Does it have any effect on connecting mobile devices? (My android fine still connects fine).

Thanks for the input!
    I did some searching and found that Bonjour is what Apple uses to communicate on a network. Microsoft added it to Windows to help you communicate with Apple devices. Apparently Windows now uses it as one method to find new network devices by searching the DNS records.

Only potential drawback I can see to disabling it would be if a customer needed to print directly from iOS or possibly Air Print.

Ahh this old thread, yep I am still struggling with this problem. We were getting loads of SC 899's about 2 months ago, it got to the point I would just call the customer and pass it straight to their IT guys with a brief explanation of what they need to do to resolve it. I am sick of remoting into peoples PC's and doing it for them, I even started chargin for it but still the time was too precious to be losing.
    I never went down the route of turning off bonjour, as many calls as it may save in the future it may create new ones because people can't airprint from their iphones or if someone gets a mac they won't be able to print properly either.
    There is literally no winning in this situation so I totally feel your pain.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I did some searching and found that Bonjour is what Apple uses to communicate on a network. Microsoft added it to Windows to help you communicate with Apple devices. Apparently Windows now uses it as one method to find new network devices by searching the DNS records.

Only potential drawback I can see to disabling it would be if a customer needed to print directly from iOS or possibly Air Print.
    Thanks Tim,
    I read a similar article that mentioned the Windows/Mac connectivity aspect, that's what for me wondering if it was even necessary in this application.
    If it affects Mac/ iOS connectivity to the device, that would be a problem.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post

Thanks for the input!
    Bonjour is Mac's network discovery protocol.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Bonjour is Mac's network discovery protocol.
    It's also closely related to Multicast DNS, or mDNS, which is what WSD uses to advertise itself. Each of them is just a specific implementation of mDNS. Think of them as plug and play extended to network devices.

Overall, disabling these protocols is a short term fix and will only be applicable to legacy devices as Mopria will be the way going forward. The real issue is going to be thirty years of bad network installs and old habits to break going forward.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk