Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    WSD inactive but still being found on PC

Re: WSD inactive but still being found on PC

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    It's also closely related to Multicast DNS, or mDNS, which is what WSD uses to advertise itself. Each of them is just a specific implementation of mDNS. Think of them as plug and play extended to network devices.

Overall, disabling these protocols is a short term fix and will only be applicable to legacy devices as Mopria will be the way going forward. The real issue is going to be thirty years of bad network installs and old habits to break going forward.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Why am I always blown away that you're able to remember this stuff? I know....you do it all the time. I vaguely remember mDNS. I think. That's where a host doesn't have to contact the router DNS table every time and sends out a multicast signal to all hosts on the same subnet for a DNS query. I'm probably remembering wrong. You da man.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    WSD inactive but still being found on PC

It's also closely related to Multicast DNS, or mDNS, which is what WSD uses to advertise itself. Each of them is just a specific implementation of mDNS. Think of them as plug and play extended to network devices.

Overall, disabling these protocols is a short term fix and will only be applicable to legacy devices as Mopria will be the way going forward. The real issue is going to be thirty years of bad network installs and old habits to break going forward.

I knew someone would weigh in on this and make my head hurt - all of that is so far above my head (and I mean that in the most respectful way).
    It seems I'll have to test the behavior myself, and see how it affects Macs and iOS device connectivity.
    If it's just a case of manually adding Macs like on Pc's, then that's no big deal.
    I've even had some issues recently with Mac creating SC899's until I downloaded and installed the PPD files.
    It seems I might just need to see how the setting affects mobile devices and the Connector app.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I knew someone would weigh in on this and make my head hurt WSD inactive but still being found on PC - all of that is so far above my head (and I mean that in the most respectful way).
    It seems I'll have to test the behavior myself, and see how it affects Macs and iOS device connectivity.
    If it's just a case of manually adding Macs like on Pc's, then that's no big deal.
    I've even had some issues recently with Mac creating SC899's until I downloaded and installed the PPD files.
    It seems I might just need to see how the setting affects mobile devices and the Connector app.
    Mobile devices will likely need Bonjour...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Mobile devices will likely need Bonjour...

I knew that bonjour is for Apple devices(?)...which honestly I'm not very knowledgeable about because I don't recognize myself as being passionate about
    "loneliness is an invention of the white man, when we are alone we talk to everything around us, we are never alone" (Ojibwa)