Technician
    MP4000B won't run after enabling ethernet

Unhappy MP4000B won't run after enabling ethernet

One of my non-profit customers was supposed to get a new network printer/copy machine, but it has been delayed due to the pandemic. They asked me if it is possible to enable printing from the network to their ridiculously old Ricoh Aficio MP 4000B. I set SP5985-001 to 1 and restarted the machine. Now it shows an SC819 error within seconds after booting up. I'm not sure what to do next. Thanks for any help you can give.

PXL_20210312_023215879.jpg

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: MP4000B won't run after enabling ethernet

Don’t think MP4000B comes with print/scan, check if it appears in user tools.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The B stands for Basic. Monochrome scan only. In order to use it as a printer it requires an additional 256K memory, HDD and 1 of the following 3 SD cards; RPCS Printer Unit, Printer Unit or Printer/Scanner Unit.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yakatz View Post
    One of my non-profit customers was supposed to get a new network printer/copy machine, but it has been delayed due to the pandemic. They asked me if it is possible to enable printing from the network to their ridiculously old Ricoh Aficio MP 4000B. I set SP5985-001 to 1 and restarted the machine. Now it shows an SC819 error within seconds after booting up. I'm not sure what to do next. Thanks for any help you can give.

the same thing happened to me on an mp4002 last week (sc819), if all factors don't match what slimslob suggests, try this, I solved it by cleaning the controller board with alcohol and a toothbrush and then blown it well with air, and also the connectors of the memories and of the card itself, in fact I had noticed some areas, where the air passing through the exhaust had deposited as a very thin layer of dust in some areas of the card, which probably caused strange contacts problem solved
    it is not the first time that this happens to me, I have also solved a couple of sc672 on mp2501

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Hope this helps
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Technician

Question Re: MP4000B won't run after enabling ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by mga View Post
    Hope this helps
    Thanks for that. The machine only started showing this error when Ethernet was enabled. It was not shut down improperly.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The B stands for Basic. Monochrome scan only. In order to use it as a printer it requires an additional 256K memory, HDD and 1 of the following 3 SD cards; RPCS Printer Unit, Printer Unit or Printer/Scanner Unit.
    It has memory and an HDD. I took the memory out and tested it in another printer and it seems to be bad. I think I found replacement memory, but it will take a few days to get here.
    The SD card is labeled "DataOverwriteSecurity Unit", but I don't know what application is actually on it - it is also labeled "Type l", but I thought it is supposed to be "Type 5000", so I am not sure exactly what it has.
    Is there a way for me to get the Printer Unit card/application?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

It has memory and an HDD. I took the memory out and tested it in another printer and it seems to be bad. I think I found replacement memory, but it will take a few days to get here.
    There should be 2 memory DIMM. If they are both 256K then they are interchangeable and might be bad. If one is 512K it belongs in a specific slot. Both memory and HDD can be damaged by an improper shutdown. Both can be sourced online, Ricoh charges too much'

The SD card is labeled "DataOverwriteSecurity Unit", but I don't know what application is actually on it - it is also labeled "Type l", but I thought it is supposed to be "Type 5000", so I am not sure exactly what it has.
    Is there a way for me to get the Printer Unit card/application?
    "DataOverwriteSecurity Unit" is an option that can be added. When a copy or print jobs finishes, it erases that job data in a secure manner so that data cannot be pulled from the HDD by industrial pirates.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    There should be 2 memory DIMM. If they are both 256K then they are interchangeable and might be bad. If one is 512K it belongs in a specific slot. Both memory and HDD can be damaged by an improper shutdown. Both can be sourced online, Ricoh charges too much'

"DataOverwriteSecurity Unit" is an option that can be added. When a copy or print jobs finishes, it erases that job data in a secure manner so that data cannot be pulled from the HDD by industrial pirates.
    This unit only has one RAM slot. I ordered RAM and I expect it to come on Friday, so I will update then.

My outstanding questions are still:
    • What is the correct Type? The service manual says 5000, but the DataOverwriteSecurity Unit says "I (capital i)" or "l (lowercase L)" or "1 (one)" (can't tell which).
    • Do I actually need the Type 5000 Printer Unit or would a different one work too (since it seems the DataOverwriteSecurity Unit might be a different one)?
    • Where, if anywhere, can I still get that SD Card (or download?)? I work on other machines usually and my regular supplier said he can't get it from Ricoh.

Thanks for all your help.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

This unit only has one RAM slot. I ordered RAM and I expect it to come on Friday, so I will update then.

My outstanding questions are still:
    • What is the correct Type? The service manual says 5000, but the DataOverwriteSecurity Unit says "I (capital i)" or "l (lowercase L)" or "1 (one)" (can't tell which).
    • Do I actually need the Type 5000 Printer Unit or would a different one work too (since it seems the DataOverwriteSecurity Unit might be a different one)?
    • Where, if anywhere, can I still get that SD Card (or download?)? I work on other machines usually and my regular supplier said he can't get it from Ricoh.

Thanks for all your help.
    Certain hardware specific optional unit types such as printer will always be the same as numeric portion of the faster model in the model group, therefore Type 5000 for the MP 5000/4000. DataOverwrite Security is common across multiple model lines. Type I was also used in the low volume models in production at the same time as the MP4000.

There are a number of online sources that specialize used copiers and accessories. They pickup return from lease machines from manufacturers and leasing companies. When the machines are not in a condition to be resold they will strip them of usable options and sell just the options. They guarantee those option as they normal put them in a functional machine and test.

Technician

Confirming that adding a new stick of memory fixed the SC819 issue. Still looking for the right Printer Unit card. I think these machines are so old that they aren't even going off lease anymore.