Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    power failure damaging only (Ricoh) MFP's

Re: power failure damaging only (Ricoh) MFP's

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    An expert told me that the damage is done - not at the moment of the sudden disconnection of current - but at the moment of suddenly re-powering. The damage would be done when current comes back, all of a sudden...
    But, why only the MFP's? There must be an logical explanation for this.

Ever notice that most light bulbs blow when you turn it on?

Turning on - any device - stresses that device very differently than when it’s just running.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Agreed. I've seen lightening strikes take out some things but others were fine. Write it off as an Act of God and move on instead of trying to explain it.
    We had 4 cases the last 3 months, and always the same: noting else damaged but the MFP.
    I like to inform customer about such matters, even when it is an insurance matter.
    And also, it's my curiosity to know the reason of things.
    But if you guys don't know the answer, well that's just fine by me...
    I will ask the expert, perhaps he can give a logical explanation.

We had 4 cases the last 3 months, and always the same: noting else damaged but the MFP.
    I like to inform customer about such matters, even when it is an insurance matter.

I'd be careful to jump to a conclusion based on a very small sample size. You're assuming that MFP's are more susceptible to a power surge than other devices but in my experience that hasn't been the case.

I suspect that the reason no one is giving you the answer that you seek is because it doesn't exist. In my opinion, you're trying to find an answer to something that's in your head.

EDIT: And why are you experiencing all these power surges at different locations? Or is it only at a single location?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

How many of those PCs and other devices are plugged into surge suppressors or outlet strips that have surge protection built in? Some, if not most of the PCs may even be plugged into a UPS so that the users can save what they were working on and then power their computers down normally. Those devices cannot be used with most MFPs as the MFPs drawer more current that those can handle.

I'd be careful to jump to a conclusion based on a very small sample size. You're assuming that MFP's are more susceptible to a power surge than other devices but in my experience that hasn't been the case.

I suspect that the reason no one is giving you the answer that you seek is because it doesn't exist. In my opinion, you're trying to find an answer to something that's in your head.

EDIT: And why are you experiencing all these power surges at different locations? Or is it only at a single location?
    The damaged machines were all at different locations. sc543 leaves no doubt what is the cause after a power failure.
    After a power failure insurance companies describes such damaged machine as 'strictly unreliable'.
    It seems to me you don't even know this description at all and why they describe it like that.
    Well, I'm sorry for that.

The damaged machines were all at different locations. sc543 leaves no doubt what is the cause after a power failure.
    After a power failure insurance companies describes such damaged machine as 'strictly unreliable'.
    It seems to me you don't even know this description at all and why they describe it like that.
    Well, I'm sorry for that.

Take this for what it's worth, but if I were in your shoes and I'm experiencing all of these "power" problems, the first thing I'd do is install some type of voltage monitor in order to:

a.) verify the problem

and

b.) see what other information that I could glean like the time of day it's happening and what the voltage actually is at the time of the problem.

What have you actually done to address the problem besides wondering why it's not affecting other devices?

Take this for what it's worth, but if I were in your shoes and I'm experiencing all of these "power" problems, the first thing I'd do is install some type of voltage monitor in order to:

a.) verify the problem

and

b.) see what other information that I could glean like the time of day it's happening and what the voltage actually is at the time of the problem.

What have you actually done to address the problem besides wondering why it's not affecting other devices?
    All the problems where know related issues, like road workers who had pulled over a current cable in the street. Or a factory in old buildings.... I admit, it is a coincidence that we had 4 so quick in time...

All the problems where know related issues, like road workers who had pulled over a current cable in the street. Or a factory in old buildings.... I admit, it is a coincidence that we had 4 so quick in time...

Okay. Why are you worried about explaining anything to your customer if the cause was a road worker who had pulled over a power cable? Seems pretty simple to explain to me. No? I'm confused.

Okay. Why are you worried about explaining anything to your customer if the cause was a road worker who had pulled over a power cable? Seems pretty simple to explain to me. No? I'm confused.
    It's good to be confused, my boy.
    Then God will shine his light onto your dark path...
    Pray, my boy, and you will see him shining above the troubled waters ...
    Rise up, rise up, rise up...

It's good to be confused, my boy.
    Then God will shine his light onto your dark path...
    Pray, my boy, and you will see him shining above the troubled waters ...
    Rise up, rise up, rise up... and let us all pray for Billy

I'm sorry. You must overlook my confusion. You say that a road worker pulled down a power line. It probably caused power outage to many homes and businesses at the time and you're worried about explaining to your customer why it didn't affect more devices in their office. That's what I call being productive. I've learned so much. lol