Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP501 VOID Area

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP501 VOID Area

MP501 VOID Area

Hi All.
    I don't normally post problems prior to visiting the customer to assess. I try and resolve the issue myself first, but I have very little experience with these boxes and frankly there doesn't seem to be much discussion in the forum about them either.

Customer has sent me the attached picture showing quite a wide void running the length of the page for any type of output. (The background that appears on the sample is not part of the problem as far as I'm aware).

The machine has about 80K on it. It has not displayed any recent SC codes as far as I know.

It could end up being something silly, like an obstruction of some sort, but I just thought I'd reach out in advance in case there is any history on it.

Thanks!
    MP501 sample.pdf

Re: MP501 VOID Area

Toner cartridge dumping toner on the laser shield glass. Or a pile of toner on the opening of the PCU that the laser scans through.

MP501 VOID Area

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Toner cartridge dumping toner on the laser shield glass. Or a pile of toner on the opening of the PCU that the laser scans through.
    Thanks Tim.
    Yes, I'm thinking its a collection of toner somewhere myself. I neglected to mention that he did own up to using compressed air that seemed to resolve it for a time. I hate it when people do that!

I'm thinking (1) the issue wasn't this bad before and (2) he loosened up a bunch of dust and toner and then the fans circulated it around the laser shield glass, (or something like that) and made the situation much worse.

Either way, I feel like it should be fairly straight forward

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Thanks Tim.
    Yes, I'm thinking its a collection of toner somewhere myself. I neglected to mention that he did own up to using compressed air that seemed to resolve it for a time. I hate it when people do that!

I'm thinking (1) the issue wasn't this bad before and (2) he loosened up a bunch of dust and toner and then the fans circulated it around the laser shield glass, (or something like that) and made the situation much worse.

Either way, I feel like it should be fairly straight forward
    Provided the compressed air didn't force toner/dust inside the laser housing.

MP501 VOID Area

Thumbs up Re: MP501 VOID Area

Provided the compressed air didn't force toner/dust inside the laser housing.
    Agreed!
    I've looked into the laser removal procedure on it and am not too anxious to get involved in that if I can help it

Agreed!
    I've looked into the laser removal procedure on it and am not too anxious to get involved in that if I can help it
    If it is anything like the previous models, that paper receiving tray is a bitch, both getting it off and putting it back on. There were a model or two where you had to remove it in order to disconnect the fusing unit from the power supply in order to PM the fusing unit.

MP501 VOID Area

If it is anything like the previous models, that paper receiving tray is a bitch, both getting it off and putting it back on. There were a model or two where you had to remove it in order to disconnect the fusing unit from the power supply in order to PM the fusing unit.
    I think you're thinking about the mp201/ 301's. I know what you mean, but I actually do a lot of those, and it's pretty easy now.
    In this case you have to remove the entire scanner assembly and Op panel (I think) in order to remove the exit tray, and access the laser, that's why I'm REALLY hoping he didn't go too crazy with air can

Technician

Ive seen this before. Check the drum unit, and charge roller. The cleaning blade for the drum has something stuck and is wiping the toner from the drum. When i had this happen to my customer, i took the drum apart, (I know you're not supposed to on these units), but i found a label stuck between the blade and drum.

Hi All.
    I don't normally post problems prior to visiting the customer to assess. I try and resolve the issue myself first, but I have very little experience with these boxes and frankly there doesn't seem to be much discussion in the forum about them either.

Customer has sent me the attached picture showing quite a wide void running the length of the page for any type of output. (The background that appears on the sample is not part of the problem as far as I'm aware).

The machine has about 80K on it. It has not displayed any recent SC codes as far as I know.

It could end up being something silly, like an obstruction of some sort, but I just thought I'd reach out in advance in case there is any history on it.

Thanks!
    MP501 sample.pdf
    so at first glance, there seems to be a toner or developer leak that has accumulated in front of the laser slot on the pcdu,
    then, if you say the customer blew in it, anything could have happened

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    MP501 VOID Area

Hi All.

Thanks!
    MP501 sample.pdf
    Remember these is a Kyocera machine could be toner on laser glass or dev assy check mag roller good luck sandy