Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ricoh MP2555 dual fax line?

Looking for the possibility of installing a second fax line on this machine.
    Customers IT sends me this complaint that fax line is not disconnecting quickly:
    “When a fax comes in, it is holding onto the available line longer than it should be. If you call in and hang up, the machine takes a full 30 seconds to clear the line for another call to come in. The person gets a busy signal. It’s like there should be an option to clear the call queue or something.”

Any idea on that or would a second line take care of it?
    (I should also note that they didn’t have this issue on the MP2550 that this unit replaced)

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP2555 dual fax line?

Quote Originally Posted by copyaction View Post
    Customers IT sends me this complaint that fax line is not disconnecting quickly:
    “When a fax comes in, it is holding onto the available line longer than it should be. If you call in and hang up, the machine takes a full 30 seconds to clear the line for another call to come in. The person gets a busy signal. It’s like there should be an option to clear the call queue or something.”

(I should also note that they didn’t have this issue on the MP2550 that this unit replaced)
    "When an (actual) fax comes in" it will receive it and hang up immediately.
    Sure, when a phone call comes in the fax is persistent for some time trying to receive it.
    Every machine that I've dealt with behaves this way when I test their line by calling from my cell or other line.

Give it a try on some other clients (or your own). They all do it - including their old one

They have a lot of non-faxes calling them for some reason?
    IT guys sounds like a dick

I would also add that, when a person hangs up a landline (for example) on another person, their line remains active for a time if they don't hang up, and that's why the fax persists

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Were there any other changes made since they had the MP 2550? Like a new dial tone provider, an in house PBX where the FAX line was moved to behind the PBX or VOIP telephone service where the FAX line is now behind a VOIP to analog converter. Any of those could result in the line going to the MP 2555 not returning a proper called party disconnect wink, dial tone of proper frequency or a delayed start of the dial tone. Any of those will force the MP 2555 to wait for a set length of silence which I have seen on dictation equipment take forever if the phone line is noisy. Dial tone detect frequency is usually adjustable with bit switches either in User Tools or FAX SP mode. In form the IT people that they need to check into the calling party disconnect wink as most dial tone providers and PBX do not automatically provide it anymore. Nor does VOIP.

As for adding lines, most Ricoh MFP support up to 3 G3 lines and at least 1 ISDN line. The problem is the customer will need to add actual phone numbers and could end up with all of them busy if the conditions I sited above exist.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    "When an (actual) fax comes in" it will receive it and hang up immediately.
    Sure, when a phone call comes in the fax is persistent for some time trying to receive it.
    Every machine that I've dealt with behaves this way when I test their line by calling from my cell or other line.

Give it a try on some other clients (or your own). They all do it - including their old one

They have a lot of non-faxes calling them for some reason?
    IT guys sounds like a dick

I would also add that, when a person hangs up a landline (for example) on another person, their line remains active for a time if they don't hang up, and that's why the fax persists
    I would have to agree with you.
    This is a very busy medical center and they do have a ton of incoming faxes, more so than non-faxes.
    I actually still have their old unit so I will hook it up and test it with my cell phone and let them know how
    long it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Were there any other changes made since they had the MP 2550?

As for adding lines, most Ricoh MFP support up to 3 G3 lines and at least 1 ISDN line. The problem is the customer will need to add actual phone numbers and could end up with all of them busy if the conditions I sited above exist.
    No other changes made, I literally wheeled out 2550 and wheeled in the 2555.
    They would happily spring for another fax number if it makes the issue go away.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

No other changes made, I literally wheeled out 2550 and wheeled in the 2555.
    They would happily spring for another fax number if it makes the issue go away.
    Compare the bitswitch setting between the two.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I would have to agree with you.
    This is a very busy medical center and they do have a ton of incoming faxes, more so than non-faxes.
    I actually still have their old unit so I will hook it up and test it with my cell phone and let them know how
    long it takes.
    Just curious if it's possible that the volume is turned up on new unit and it was off on the old one, and they simply didn't notice it ??
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 03-26-2021 at 02:50 AM.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

A second line would not help with this problem, at least not on its own.

It would need to be a part of the customer’s phone system (“PBX” is an ancient term) to see that the first line is busy, and then switch over to the free line(s).

There is no way for the MFP to switch over by its lonesome.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    A second line would not help with this problem, at least not on its own.

It would need to be a part of the customer’s phone system (“PBX” is an ancient term) to see that the first line is busy, and then switch over to the free line(s).

There is no way for the MFP to switch over by its lonesome.
    Apparently they already have that enabled because he said they had to buy a standalone fax machine using the second line as a workaround.

Do you happen to know what the part number for the second line kit is for this model?
    Thanks

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Apparently they already have that enabled because he said they had to buy a standalone fax machine using the second line as a workaround.

Do you happen to know what the part number for the second line kit is for this model?
    Thanks
    Should be listed in the Product Support Guide under options, G3 Fax.