Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    paper - inkjet laser copier

Re: paper - inkjet laser copier

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    At the high school it didn't melt. It had portions peal off and stick to the fusing roller. Since the glossy paper was only a cover sheet, it was then offset onto subsequent pages.
    ahh ok thanks for clearing that up.. yes it gets jammed ...peals off due to lack of oil on the fuser rollers.

I had a middle school that was going through fusers left and right. the copy room was stocked with laser grade Hammermill 90 bright. So it was stumping me until I was there replacing something like the 4th or 5th fuser when In walks a new teacher carrying her OWN paper .. guess what it was INKJET paper. She demanded to know when I would be finished .. I said about an hour.. she went to another copier ..about 10 mins later after running 200 copies she screamed and cussed at the machine.
    The principle and I came running ... the paper was wrapped around the hot roller ... " Why does this always happen to me" I pointed out it's the inkjet paper you are using .. "That's stupid PAPER IS PAPER"
    I pointed out the sticker on the ream showing her the INKJET statement and told the principle that inkjet paper dries the oil out of the fuser quickly.
    He told the teacher to use the supplied paper and to take hers back home.
    From then on the fusers went life and sometimes beyond

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Inkjet paper won't melt.
    Inkjet is more porous so the ink bleeds into it.
    The reason they say not to use in laser copiers is it sucks up the oil in the fuser therefore drying it out then it could wrap n jam.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I think the media, the thicker it is, the more it tends to ruin the rollers / sleeves at the edge, due to the detachment / cut ... but this is my thought, I have not done any tests

Quote Originally Posted by luca72 View Post
    I think the media, the thicker it is, the more it tends to ruin the rollers / sleeves at the edge, due to the detachment / cut ... but this is my thought, I have not done any tests
    the 'teacher' example I gave was 32# yellow paper. don't know if the color made a damn, but it sure tore fusers up.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debs1964 View Post
    Anything tastes better than the taste of death
    Not meaning to repeat myself, but bacon will make death taste good AND mute the tortured cries of the innocent victims. Bacon washes away all sins.

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    Not meaning to repeat myself, but bacon will make death taste good AND mute the tortured cries of the innocent victims. Bacon washes away all sins.
    Only faith in Jesus Christ and giving your soul to God can abolish sin.
    Yeah bacon is good but cannot wash your sins away.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

About the only exposure to inkjet photo paper I had was with those $199 Samsung off the shelf color printers. On at least (5) occasions these geniuses would buy a ream of inkjet photo paper and a printer, and take it home. The first piece of paper wraps onto the fuser. They bring it in for warranty, saying: "The very first piece of paper jammed ... right there!"

So I bring up the Samsung website, and right there on the first page it says that inkjet paper is not suitable media, and not covered under warranty. The fuser comes to $215.00. Sometimes they claim that it's not inkjet photo paper ... but most bring in the actual ream to show me, and it's kinda hard to hide that piece of paper wrapped around the fuser.

This is the point where the enduser stomps off, sometimes calling me a few new names that I haven't heard yet ... and I set their new printer next to the others in the warehouse. They'll get used for parts eventually. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    About the only exposure to inkjet photo paper I had was with those $199 Samsung off the shelf color printers. On at least (5) occasions these geniuses would buy a ream of inkjet photo paper and a printer, and take it home. The first piece of paper wraps onto the fuser. They bring it in for warranty, saying: "The very first piece of paper jammed ... right there!"

So I bring up the Samsung website, and right there on the first page it says that inkjet paper is not suitable media, and not covered under warranty. The fuser comes to $215.00. Sometimes they claim that it's not inkjet photo paper ... but most bring in the actual ream to show me, and it's kinda hard to hide that piece of paper wrapped around the fuser.

This is the point where the enduser stomps off, sometimes calling me a few new names that I haven't heard yet ... and I set their new printer next to the others in the warehouse. They'll get used for parts eventually. =^..^=
    That story was REALLY hilarious
    You made my day now

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    I learned 30 years ago that only 'copier paper' is suitable for a copier.
    Laser would be for printers and inkjet for inkjet.
    If inkjet paper would be used in a copier, that would melt in the fusing unit because of the coating on that paper.
    In that time some customers bought laser quality for use in copier and told me that won't be a problem...
    So, I investigate and find out that the fusing unit would last longer with 'copier' or 'copy' on the cover.
    Today I looked quick on the internet and can't find a site that says to use 'copy' on a MFP.
    They all say to use the 'laser' quality.
    But still most papercovers here make a difference between 'laser' and 'copy'
    What do you know about this?

... in North America, all copier/printer manufacturers using a laser or LED print head recommend the use of plain, 20-28 lb bond paper aka 75-100 gsm.

Some paper manufacturers blur the line and offer 20-28 lb bond paper suitable for laser and inkjets.

If you are on a service contract you should be covered.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    how do i understand you! I love the crispy mc-bacon, with double bacon, but since they have put some new bitches, they always make me trouble to do it, to put an extra slice of bacon, which I also pay for!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I will now contact the biggest paper seller here in Flanders to hear what they have to say about this.
    About the paper, not about the bacon
    Last edited by Mark Bbb; 04-08-2021 at 09:11 AM.