Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Speed/processor performance

Re: Speed/processor performance

One more thing I can think of, Network Speed. Is the printer set to auto? Try locking it to the fastest speed, if no better try locking it to the next lower speed. Sometimes auto doesn't work very well.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    One more thing I can think of, Network Speed. Is the printer set to auto? Try locking it to the fastest speed, if no better try locking it to the next lower speed. Sometimes auto doesn't work very well.
    Best to leave on auto if set to higher it will run slower as will always be trying to run at that speed leave all on auto
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mga View Post
    Best to leave on auto if set to higher it will run slower as will always be trying to run at that speed leave all on auto
    My experience has been if there is problems negotiating turn Auto off. Unless scan huge documents 10MB full duplex often works best. Avoids constant negotiating.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I am not too familiar with the network options.
    However I have looked several times at my switch in the browser, and there the printer always have been at 100Mbps full duplex connection speed.
    And, in my spesific case I dont have a feeling it is the available network speed wich is the problem, but rather those particular pdf's having some very poorly optimized formatting of some sort.

Because when I did testing and first saved the original file with cute pdf writer and then printing that out it prints at full nominal speed. And the data sent to the printer is only a small fraction compared to the original file. So there must be something very odd with the original files somehow
    Last edited by SteinarN; 04-20-2021 at 08:39 PM. Reason: 100MB>100Mbps

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    It is set to auto.

Load the most recent pcl6 driver for the machine, have never liked the universal drivers. don't work worth trash.

Gary

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SteinarN View Post
    Thanks for a ton of good suggestions!

This has now taken on at least as much of a learning/investigation issue as a print speed issue.
    i completed printing out the ca 1500 pages last night.

I have now done some testing. Six pages gave 338MB sent to the printer. Took a little more than six minutes for the printer to process and print out. And only four of them had the suspect graphics. So, exactly 1 ppm print speed. Impressive.....
    One of those pages gives 111MB sent to the printer. Takes 1min 40s for the data to be sent from pc/received at printer and then an additional ca 30 sec before the sheet of paper is pulled from the tray and printing started.

Printed with universal driver from Foxit reader over ethernet to the printer.
    The single page is attached. The single page was created by printing out the actual page in the manual with CutePDF writer.

However that single page file created with CutePDF writer is only 900kB when sent to the printer and prints out pretty immediately. The file itself is 424kB.
    If of interest, the schematic is from the landing gear system on an Airbus Super Puma AS332

More to follow...
    You managed to print out 1500 color pages in a single night on a MPC 2051? Was the machine reduced to a puddle of plastic after that? Just constantly loading paper in those 250 sheet drawers would have caused me to go crazy. (The drawers on those models are absolutely miserable as well in terms of reliability)

The specs on the machine is 10k a month max with 20% color. So basically you just about printed an entire months worth of production in a single night. This machine is not meant to be a production printer and I am really shocked you have not had more issues with it. These machines are also slow when it comes to processing jobs. The HDD's in them were garbage and went out all the time, but before they went out, they would take longer and longer to process jobs. The processor is also touchy and in general, the machine is very slow. There were reasons why this line was discontinued after the 1 series.

There isn't a machine in the Ricoh lineup that is in the 20-25 CPM range that is going to do anything fast. They are designed as a LIGHT duty device and will not hold up to the type of workload you apparently seek to put on them.

The suggestions others have made in the thread are good ones in terms of potentially optimizing performance for what you have. I would suggest revisiting what you expect out of the machine volume wise and find an appropriate fit and if you are going to do big files all the time and want some speed, then the suggestion to look at a Fiery is a good one. Of course, there is a cost to that performance as Fiery is very pricy.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Klydon View Post
    You managed to print out 1500 color pages in a single night on a MPC 2051? Was the machine reduced to a puddle of plastic after that? Just constantly loading paper in those 250 sheet drawers would have caused me to go crazy. (The drawers on those models are absolutely miserable as well in terms of reliability)

The specs on the machine is 10k a month max with 20% color. So basically you just about printed an entire months worth of production in a single night. This machine is not meant to be a production printer and I am really shocked you have not had more issues with it. These machines are also slow when it comes to processing jobs. The HDD's in them were garbage and went out all the time, but before they went out, they would take longer and longer to process jobs. The processor is also touchy and in general, the machine is very slow. There were reasons why this line was discontinued after the 1 series.

There isn't a machine in the Ricoh lineup that is in the 20-25 CPM range that is going to do anything fast. They are designed as a LIGHT duty device and will not hold up to the type of workload you apparently seek to put on them.

The suggestions others have made in the thread are good ones in terms of potentially optimizing performance for what you have. I would suggest revisiting what you expect out of the machine volume wise and find an appropriate fit and if you are going to do big files all the time and want some speed, then the suggestion to look at a Fiery is a good one. Of course, there is a cost to that performance as Fiery is very pricy.
    If the machine has the 2-tray paper bank the Max. Paper Feeding Capacity is 1600. When you subtract the 100 sheet capacity of the bypass that leaves 1500 pages. No reloading during the run would be needed.