Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Speed/processor performance

I am printing out several large technical manuals on my old MP C2051. The manuals are pdf files of various sizes, up to say 50MB for a manual of say 100 sides for an average page size of 0.5Mb. But when printing them and watching the data sent to the printer they increase in size to say 20MB or more per page on average. Those pages contain graphics, there can be tens of such pages in a row.
    What I see is that the printer seems to be slow to process those large size pages containing graphics. It prints out a few pages, then wait for a considerable amunt of time, like it is processing the next few pages before it prints out a few more pages.

I print out at highest quality setting though. Plain text prints out at about 11 ppm at A4 LEF with highest quality settings. But when I feed the machine with those heavy graphic pages the average speed gets cut in half, so only like 5 ppm.

Is this what can be expected from this type of printer? Is it the limitations of the ancient cpu in this machine that is the reason for the slow process speed?
    What Ricoh model would have a (significantly) more powerfull process capability?
    Last edited by SteinarN; 04-18-2021 at 10:47 PM. Reason: 1

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Speed/processor performance

Quote Originally Posted by SteinarN View Post
    I am printing out several large technical manuals on my old MP C2051. The manuals are pdf files of various sizes, up to say 50MB for a manual of say 100 sides for an average page size of 0.5Mb. But when printing them and watching the data sent to the printer they increase in size to say 20MB or more per page on average. Those pages contain graphics, there can be tens of such pages in a row.
    What I see is that the printer seems to be slow to process those large size pages containing graphics. It prints out a few pages, then wait for a considerable amount of time, like it is processing the next few pages before it prints out a few more pages.

I print out at highest quality setting though. Plain text prints out at about 11 ppm at A4 LEF with highest quality settings. But when I feed the machine with those heavy graphic pages the average speed gets cut in half, so only like 5 ppm.

Is this what can be expected of this type of printer? Is it the limitations of the ancient cpu in this machine that is the reason for the slow process speed?
    What Ricoh model would have a (significantly) more powerful process capability?
    if the pages are PDF's then yes time to build the pages can take some time.. layers can also slow the PPM down.

what program are you using to print?

duplexing adds more time to output.

are there colors involved?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    if the pages are PDF's then yes time to build the pages can take some time.. layers can also slow the PPM down.
    Damn, you are quick!

What model of a similar (newer) Ricoh printer would have a more powerfull process capability? And would it help much on the speed when printing such pdf files?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

what program are you using to print?

duplexing adds more time to output.

are there colors involved?
    I open the pdf's in Foxit reader, and print from there with Ricoh Universal driver V4.31.
    Am printing duplex, yes, but still, compared to plain text with duplex, it is much slower.
    Yes colors too.

I have printed out many individual manuals which combine into a large one today, like chapters. The individual chapters are produced by different persons over a few years using different programs/methods to do the grapics it seems. Some of those individual manuals print out at max speed, 11 ppm, but some are excruciatingly slow, it seems the worst one was containing simple graphics that looked like it (the graphics) originally had been scanned into some files and then put into the pdf. 1.5GB sent to the printer for 150 pages. One of that GB was for only 50 of those pages.

Damn, you are quick!

What model of a similar (newer) Ricoh printer would have a more powerfull process capability? And would it help much on the speed when printing such pdf files?
    Dunno I have been out of richo for a bit.
    Did you check the richo.com websites?
    Maybe Slimslob can lead you to what info you seek.
    He's the go to guy for richo type shit.
    Damn I must admit you are catching on pretty quick.
    Good job brother!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Dunno I have been out of richo for a bit.
    Did you check the richo.com websites?
    Maybe Slimslob can lead you to what info you seek.
    He's the go to guy for richo type shit.
    Damn I must admit you are catching on pretty quick.
    Good job brother!

No, havent checked the web site. Am not looking for a new (like factory new) printer anyway.
    I remember someone said in my first topic here that the controller that had this turtle speed, ancient processor that is in mine machine had some name, and that the next generation had a "+" added to that name.
    But I have no idea what printers have that next gen controller.
    Thank you brother!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

What I see is that the printer seems to be slow to process those large size pages containing graphics. It prints out a few pages, then wait for a considerable amunt of time, like it is processing the next few pages before it prints out a few more pages.

Is this what can be expected from this type of printer? Is it the limitations of the ancient cpu in this machine that is the reason for the slow process speed?
    What Ricoh model would have a (significantly) more powerfull process capability?
    As others have said try another PDF reader. Also updating the firmware & the latest PCL6 driver will make a difference especially if still on the factory firmware.

However if you need to print these larger pdf files often you should look for a copier with a fiery controller.

Last edited by copier tech; 04-19-2021 at 09:58 AM.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I found the post, it was slimslob.
    He said the MP C2051 had a GW controller, that's the one with the turtle processor. The next one is the GW+ controller. Would have liked to know what processor is in that one.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    As others have said try another PDF reader. Also updating the firmware & the latest PCL6 driver will make a difference especially if still on the factory firmware.
    I can make a test with Adobe.
    The FW is the newest, I bought from you but the machine already had all the newest, hehe.
    Am using the latest universal driver from Ricoh. Not the dedicated driver for this machine though.
    The webside stated that the universal driver was the prefered one I seems to remember. I'll check that though.

Edit: The webside do not say that the universal driver is the prefered one.

I can make a test with Adobe.
    The FW is the newest, I bought from you but the machine already had all the newest, hehe.
    Am using the latest universal driver from Ricoh. Not the dedicated driver for this machine though.
    The webside stated that the universal driver was the prefered one I seems to remember. I'll check that though.

Edit: The webside do not say that the universal driver is the prefered one.
    So what drover was?