Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    New MP 301 drums

Re: New MP 301 drums

I've personally never replaced an MP301 drum with the type 301 drum, I've always just snapped the locator pin off the the machine and popped in a Type 1515 unit.
    Cost has been the primary factor as the type 301 units are about 70% more expensive in my case, but I also never had an issue until about the last 1-2 years.
    There seems to have been a manufacturing change in those units as well that's made them less durable. One indicator is they now have a black handle rather than a green one.
    They've been failing WAY too soon as well (at least on the MP301's). Similar to JayPaul, they often seize up between 10-20K.
    I've recently been installing a generic version of the type 1515 units to see how the performance is, and figuring that they almost can't be any worse at this point.

It's still very early in that game, but I've not had any known premature failures yet.

Just curious on thoughts about the Type 1515 units, and any insight on possible manufacturing changes that have caused them to be less reliable too?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One thing that I have encountered when a machine throws an SC500 is that the developer is piled up at the back end of the mixer coil of the unit. The gears would be fine with little or no developer around the gears. What I found was the opening between the two coils at that end was clogged. After clearing the with a spring hook I was able to level the developer off in the coils and get it to work.
    long ago, i heard, i don't remember which model, maybe the mp2000 (?) that works better with less developer, i never tried, but i have to say that some units i saw lose a lot of blood..lol..print well anyway

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post

Just curious on thoughts about the Type 1515 units, and any insight on possible manufacturing changes that have caused them to be less reliable too?
    Has Ricoh decided to go the refurbished route on these like they did with the 1027 PCU?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I've personally never replaced an MP301 drum with the type 301 drum, I've always just snapped the locator pin off the the machine and popped in a Type 1515 unit.
    Cost has been the primary factor as the type 301 units are about 70% more expensive in my case, but I also never had an issue until about the last 1-2 years.
    There seems to have been a manufacturing change in those units as well that's made them less durable. One indicator is they now have a black handle rather than a green one.
    They've been failing WAY too soon as well (at least on the MP301's). Similar to JayPaul, they often seize up between 10-20K.
    I've recently been installing a generic version of the type 1515 units to see how the performance is, and figuring that they almost can't be any worse at this point.

It's still very early in that game, but I've not had any known premature failures yet.

We startet using the Type1515 units when the MP301 started but had way too much issues right from the start - kind of like the problems you can get with the correct units supposed for that model but with no chance for warranty claims.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    New MP 301 drums

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    We startet using the Type1515 units when the MP301 started but had way too much issues right from the start - kind of like the problems you can get with the correct units supposed for that model but with no chance for warranty claims.
    Our guys started trying that as well and had similar failures in a short time span on some machines. It's hit and miss. We have machines that the drums make 40k, others make less than 10k. Didn't matter if it was a 1515 or a 301 drum.

Ricoh here stopped answering our warranty claims on it. I guess there thought was there is no issue if they don't acknowledge it.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

AS ONE who no longer sells any of these B/W units my feeling is there is not enough room if the machine starts to add too much toner.
    I saw it on the type 1027 all the time and when i rebuilt them i would take out a capfull of developer before putting in new drum,drum blade and developer powder.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    New MP 301 drums

This is such old technology. Ricoh have used this same poor mono engine for nearly 20 years without really addressing the PCDU issues.

I have 100+ 301 models out they seem to do ok if used as mid volume.

Any models that do less than 2k per month the PCDU fails.

As slim said you can strip, vac & clean the unit to extend the life.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I still have a pile of these machines and have been using the new version of the PCDU. Despite whatever Ricoh says, I will believe improved performance when I see it. I use both the 411844 and had been using the D1272110 versions and there is effectively no difference in life between them from what I have seen. It will be a bit yet before I know about the new version.

For the most part, my experience is IF the customer runs these at the sweet spot in volume (roughly 1-2k a month), they can do extremely well. Unfortunately, I have customers who run 7K and more a month on a lot of machines. The PCDU yield (and hot roller yield for that matter) is bad on those. Basically carry in a hot roller and PCDU on just about every call because more than likely, you are going to need it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

I could never grasp why they didnt go to the mpc2800,mpc3001,mpc3003 et etc PCDU design.
    It just show pure stupidity on ricohs part..
    My happiest day was when i tossed 3-4 crates of ricoh type 1027 drum units pulled apart to rebuild...
    I have used the type 1013 drum units only because i got stuck with from 4430 and 1013 machines........