Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts digicor's Avatar

mpc6004ex as a network device for scans

i can scan to the hdd, but the network device doesnt show any folders, or scans, but they are in the doc server, i need to be able to retrieve them of the network, the 6004 is on the net work, and shared, but the scans dont show up
    please advise.. thanks you

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: mpc6004ex as a network device for scans

Quote Originally Posted by digicor View Post
    i can scan to the hdd, but the network device doesnt show any folders, or scans, but they are in the doc server, i need to be able to retrieve them of the network, the 6004 is on the net work, and shared, but the scans dont show up
    what are the network/scan settings .. please post SMC report

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

you give us too little information, I'm not sure I understand, you mean that you don't see the folders on the display? do the scans work? what does wim's registry say?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Are you accessing through WIM?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts copytrust's Avatar

i will try to guess....you didnt use the scan option, you used the document server option! and you want to access the documents now. is that right??

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts digicor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copytrust View Post
    i will try to guess....you didnt use the scan option, you used the document server option! and you want to access the documents now. is that right??
    I used the doc server and can accsess the dox from the web monitor,
    i thought i had to map this a network drive to use it as a scan server(if you will) but not an option,its there in the mapping suggestions, but there is no further option to map
    i am sorry for the missing info.. im not a pro at using the machine as a scan networked option, i always set up email/smb/ftp...
    the client wanted to use the device as the scan server on his network...
    so if any help to explain what im missing how to do this thanks in advance

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

If this model works the same as previous ones, it requires a file format converter option, which has always been a physical board, although it may be an SD card on newer models.

The files stored in the doc server are not PDFs, JPGs, etc, so they need to be converted to be in a usable format.

I may be off base here, but I don’t think I am.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    If this model works the same as previous ones, it requires a file format converter option, which has always been a physical board, although it may be an SD card on newer models.

The files stored in the doc server are not PDFs, JPGs, etc, so they need to be converted to be in a usable format.

I may be off base here, but I don’t think I am.
    I know that on previous models that you could access the first page of any file in the doc server through WIM by logging in as a user, not an administratorThe File Format Converter is needed to download entire documents. File Format Converter Type M19 EDP Code 417508.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I used the doc server and can accsess the dox from the web monitor,
    i thought i had to map this a network drive to use it as a scan server(if you will) but not an option,its there in the mapping suggestions, but there is no further option to map
    i am sorry for the missing info.. im not a pro at using the machine as a scan networked option, i always set up email/smb/ftp...
    the client wanted to use the device as the scan server on his network...
    so if any help to explain what im missing how to do this thanks in advance
    To my knowledge if there is a way to share the HDD of the C6004 it would requiring accessing at the OS level, which is some form of Unix/Xenix/Linux, through telnet. But I doubt it. The commands need to do so are most likely not available to telnet.

Documents can also be placed in the document server from computers by set the Job type for a print job to Document Server. You can also select which of up to 200 folders on the Document Server to place them in, each of which can be password protected. Be aware that the C6004 HDD should not be used for storing documents that are not backed up elsewhere. The entire content can be deleted from User Tools. In fact there is a setting that will automatically delete documents after a set number of days if it is not turned off. Also if at anytime you have to reformat the HDD, they are gone.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

You'll need to explain to the customer that the 'Document Server' feature isn't a network server, it's dedicated storage on the machine for storing documents for print on demand. It's for things like safety checklists or fax cover sheets: documents that don't change and need to be printed frequently.

To truly scan to their network they will need a proper SMB setup: even an always-on PC with a shared folder will do the trick.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk