ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Ricoh IM350f, random skew

This machine only has 11,000 on it and the customer says it has been crap since they got it. It will skew randomly but only from the tray. On my first visit, it was slanting downward to the right about 3 to 4 mm. Original on the glass or as a print job, it was skewed. I upgraded firmware and replaced the feed roller after ensuring nothing was in the paper path. Still skew and it it noticeable that it is not the same amount all the time. I assume it must be the tray as the bypass works fine. When we get some more in, I go back with a new tray. It makes no change. At this point I remember some old HP printers that were real sensitive with not being perfectly flat. The table it is on is thick and about 4 to 5 feet wide and the printer was in the middle, When I move the machine around on the table, the skew changes, in one instance going in the opposite direction. Got it straight and left. Had another issue with it and had to drop a loaner. Fix that issue and noticed skew again. Aside from opening and closing the tray, I can find nothing else affecting it. Concerned that after I drive 2 hours to take it back, it will skew again. Ricoh tech support said to change the feed clutch, but could not explain how it would cause it. My district rep said maybe a crack somewhere. Just wanted to see if anyone else had seen such a thing.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh IM350f, random skew

I had a Kyocera printer doing something similar. The paper path is maybe 4" long, so you'd think that it couldn't skew in so short a path. After some disassembly I noticed that there was almost no pressure on the idler rollers in the vertical path. I dug around and found some stronger matching springs and cleaned the rollers with orange cleaner. I was able to reduce a 4-5mm skew to 1/2mm, and that was as good as I could get it.

Give it a try. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

The hardest part is that it won't stay off to troubleshoot. Had it all day in the shop and could barely get it to move after it got straight for no reason.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Retired 10,000+ Posts

One of the things I have had trouble with on previous models are the rollers on the bottom back of the trays and front of the tray rails coming off and causing one corner to drop down. Can really be exacerbated when the surface the machine is setting on is not even/level. A three foot carpenters level can help determine if the table top is wrapped.