Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MPC 3004 Jamming on tray 2

Hi all, got a troublesome machine. Tray 2 set to thick 1 started jamming loads, a bit intermittently though. It doesn’t feed the paper, so replaced feed tyres, still didn’t feed the paper. Pulled out tray 1 to watch and the tray lifts the paper to the feed perfectly fine but when you do a copy/print the feed doesn’t even turn at all it just beeps for paper jam. I went back with updated firmware, replaced the whole feed unit and the feed motor section behind it. Thought all was good but this morning they have called in saying still doing it. Jam log is Tray 2: On
    Only thing I can think of now is the little board, bottom right of machine that the feed motors plug into. Other than that I’m at a loss for what to do. Other trays are fine, moved it to tray 3 and it feeds ok. All other sensors etc are clean and good.
    Anyone seen this happen before, machine doesn’t even try feeding the paper?

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Re: MPC 3004 Jamming on tray 2

It could be the tray set switch or paper size sensor acting up. Telltale sign is the tray lift motor moving up and down trying to detect paper level when you close the tray and also if you give the machine a tap on the side. When they are really bad you can hear the tray lift moving and knocking sounds when it tries to raise too high all on its own

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

It actually is just slightly shorter than A4 paper and a bit wider (or vice versa) but the tray is on auto and still detects A4, been there for about 3 years so wouldn't think it suddenly doesn't know what size but as you say can be the sensors themselves playing up. When I watched it lift the paper it did it in 1 go, it didn't bounce up and down a few times like some do.
    So far I have the little board that the motors connect to, may grab sensors and whatever else I can from a demo machine I have. Kind of want this to be last visit though, apparantly he was quite angry on the phone earlier.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    It actually is just slightly shorter than A4 paper and a bit wider (or vice versa) but the tray is on auto and still detects A4, been there for about 3 years so wouldn't think it suddenly doesn't know what size but as you say can be the sensors themselves playing up. When I watched it lift the paper it did it in 1 go, it didn't bounce up and down a few times like some do.
    So far I have the little board that the motors connect to, may grab sensors and whatever else I can from a demo machine I have. Kind of want this to be last visit though, apparantly he was quite angry on the phone earlier.
    If it lifts and stops in 1 go its unlikely to be sensors/switches so would probably move over to board then too if I were you. I remember one of these giving me a hard time years ago when they just came out after a lightning strike and it was one of the motors. Took me almost an entire day of replacing boards to realise the feed and transport motors didn't work the way I thought they did. If I remember right I assumed/looked like it was 1 motor per tray where in fact one motor handled feed for both trays and other handled vertical transport or something. Tray 2 would pick the paper and stop at transport. Tray 1 was working fine.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

I went there earlier, machine actually switched off, I thought oh that's a bit dramatic for a tray 2 jamming. Turns out it makes an awful noise and jams between registration or inside fuser, crooked, no matter what tray it feeds from. Which is actually a problem they had maybe a year ago and after fiddling around with it for ages it just started working again but I never knew what caused it or what I did to fix it. Out of the frying pan and into the fire as some say.
    Again I just spent over an hour taking off transfer section, turning every gear and roller I can get my hands on, looking for snapped parts or something out of place but didn't find anything, then... it just started working again -_-
    I may swap this machine out temporarily so I can properly take it apart and find the cause in my office then hammer it on different trays for a few days.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

I went there earlier, machine actually switched off, I thought oh that's a bit dramatic for a tray 2 jamming. Turns out it makes an awful noise and jams between registration or inside fuser, crooked, no matter what tray it feeds from. Which is actually a problem they had maybe a year ago and after fiddling around with it for ages it just started working again but I never knew what caused it or what I did to fix it. Out of the frying pan and into the fire as some say.
    Again I just spent over an hour taking off transfer section, turning every gear and roller I can get my hands on, looking for snapped parts or something out of place but didn't find anything, then... it just started working again -_-
    I may swap this machine out temporarily so I can properly take it apart and find the cause in my office then hammer it on different trays for a few days.
    Could it be the transfer unit there are some technical bulletins there a bearing that jumps out of place then have to realign gears up the bulletin may be under 03 series
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Hi all, got a troublesome machine. Tray 2 set to thick 1 started jamming loads, a bit intermittently though. It doesn’t feed the paper, so replaced feed tyres, still didn’t feed the paper. Pulled out tray 1 to watch and the tray lifts the paper to the feed perfectly fine but when you do a copy/print the feed doesn’t even turn at all it just beeps for paper jam. I went back with updated firmware, replaced the whole feed unit and the feed motor section behind it. Thought all was good but this morning they have called in saying still doing it. Jam log is Tray 2: On
    Only thing I can think of now is the little board, bottom right of machine that the feed motors plug into. Other than that I’m at a loss for what to do. Other trays are fine, moved it to tray 3 and it feeds ok. All other sensors etc are clean and good.
    What is the jam code?

Does tray 2 only jam on thick 1?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    What is the jam code?

Does tray 2 only jam on thick 1?
    He gave the jam log code as Tray 2: ON which is from the SP 7504 [Paper Jam Location]. Tray2: ON would be SP 7504-003 which corresponds to J003.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    He gave the jam log code as Tray 2: ON which is from the SP 7504 [Paper Jam Location]. Tray2: ON would be SP 7504-003 which corresponds to J003.
    I like to check the jam code incase he misread it in the manual etc.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

hello, since:
    -you've replaced the entire feed station
    -replaced the engine behind
    -replaced the rollers
    try to glue a piece of plastic cut out, max 2-3 mm thick, behind the drawer. in the point where the white lever of the feed station touches, you see it because there are signs of wear from contact, it happened to me on some units, it would seem, that the plastic of the particularly thin drawer tends to flex slightly in contact with the white lever , it happened years ago on the mpc2500 that even the plastic of the drawer broke at that point, at least it was clearly understood, I also suggest you dissect the station and clean the one-way bearings WELL x 2

Greetings