Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Multi-feeding due to static ???

I feel like I've seen some threads relating to dealing with static before, but I can't seem to find them right now.

Got called in today to a customer that has been having a paper feed issue on their C3003 for some time, but it has seemingly gotten much worse.

They print quite a lot of single-sided letters on double-sided, pre-printed paper.

The machine has very low mileage (30K total), and I've replaced the feed rollers anyway, just to see if it helped. I've also tried all 3 lower paper trays. Nothing changed.

If they run 50 pages, it will feed 4-5 sheets at once on several occasions.
    I don't have the exact specs of the paper, but it's not heavy at all, and not glossy either.
    I tried using different paper type settings to slow down the process but with no change.

I'm pretty convinced that static is the culprit and the sheets are quite clinged together when the exit.
    I'm wondering if there is a specific attachment from Ricoh that can be installed, or if there are any other Tech Tricks someone may be able to pass along to me on how to reduce the effects?

The office is completely carpeted, and I wondered if even placing a rubber mat underneath might help?
    I never really had to deal with an issue like this, so open to any ideas.

Edit: Additional issue has been resolved

Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 05-20-2021 at 01:09 AM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Multi-feeding due to static ???

It would help me if you weighed up some of that paper, to determine gsm.

Does your Ricoh have page separation adjustments at the paper trays? Increasing page separation might help. You might also order some static eliminators, them install them to the pickup assembly and ground them to discharge any static. I've experimented with this on another machine. Mostly what I learned is that it made no discernible difference.

I would be interested to see a photo of the page separation at the paper trays. =^..^=

EDIT:
    So I found a video of this feed unit being disassembled (in Czech language).
    It's basically the same feed unit that Toshiba has been using on their LCF's for the last 15 years. No there is no intentional adjustment for page separation. But if you are adventurous, you might try a slightly weaker spring in this view, to get increased page separation. Don't lose the original spring, in case you have to put it back:

MP_C3003_Page_Separation.jpg

=^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 05-20-2021 at 12:22 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Thanks Cat!
    I was about to tell you that there was no page separation adjustment that I was aware of, but thanks a bunch for the tip on the spring.
    I'll be venturing back in a day or 2 and try a few things.
    After starting the thread, I began wondering that if static is the problem, then why is it not an issue AT ALL from the other trays, but I suppose that could simply be the different type of paper being used.

I'll also see if I can get the specs on the paper, But I think they do the initial printing at their head office in Cali, and then ship up a bunch of generic boxes full of it, and print the additional text from the database.

I had an issue a few years ago where the preprinted text was actually transferring and creating a double image effect that looked like the printer had a cleaning/ transfer issue as it wasn't obvious from the beginning that it was actually the 'pre-printed' text that was being transferred and not the text that they had added to it.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Thanks Cat!

I'll also see if I can get the specs on the paper, But I think they do the initial printing at their head office in Cali, and then ship up a bunch of generic boxes full of it, and print the additional text from the database...
    If you can get a weight (in grams or ounces) of ... say 10 or 20 pages (and quantity), and the page size, I can tell you the gsm.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

When it picks up 3 or more sheets at once it is almost always a bad torque limiter for the reverse roller. Part Number D1292783

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    When it picks up 3 or more sheets at once it is almost always a bad torque limiter for the reverse roller. Part Number D1292783
    Thanks Tim, I would have thought that too, but it's all 3 lower trays, less than 30k total on unit, and ONLY the preprinted paper.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Thanks Tim, I would have thought that too, but it's all 3 lower trays, less than 30k total on unit, and ONLY the preprinted paper.
    Well if it is static you might want to check for a faulty machine ground. My experience is that static will usually cause chain feeding, I.E. each subsequent page will be shifted an inch or more. The distance needed to generate friction static between the sheets. The best way to reduce static is to raise the ambient humidity. I have heard of people setting bowls or pans of water either under or behind the copier.

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

unlikely to be static before its even got in i would think

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

I feel like I've seen some threads relating to dealing with static before, but I can't seem to find them right now.

Got called in today to a customer that has been having a paper feed issue on their C3003 for some time, but it has seemingly gotten much worse.

They print quite a lot of single-sided letters on double-sided, pre-printed paper.

The machine has very low mileage (30K total), and I've replaced the feed rollers anyway, just to see if it helped. I've also tried all 3 lower paper trays. Nothing changed.

If they run 50 pages, it will feed 4-5 sheets at once on several occasions.
    I don't have the exact specs of the paper, but it's not heavy at all, and not glossy either.
    I tried using different paper type settings to slow down the process but with no change.

I'm pretty convinced that static is the culprit and the sheets are quite clinged together when the exit.
    I'm wondering if there is a specific attachment from Ricoh that can be installed, or if there are any other Tech Tricks someone may be able to pass along to me on how to reduce the effects?

The office is completely carpeted, and I wondered if even placing a rubber mat underneath might help?
    I never really had to deal with an issue like this, so open to any ideas.

Edit: Additional issue has been resolved

Thanks for any advice!
    hi, if the rollers are new, and it does it from all drawers, I would try:

1 a stack of paper brought by me

2 use different rollers, for example, if you use af03-2094 and af03-1094, I would put af03-2049 and af03-1049, and vice versa, to see what happens

service technician 50+ Posts

from what you said i believe the problem then is the pre-printed paper they are using, try fanning the paper more ( it might produce more static thou) attached some velcro strips to the paper feed guides and see if that will help separate the paper sheets.