Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

Printing Envelopes added to Document

Hello folks, I've run into an issue which I'm not sure is fully software or hardware.
    I have a client that, using MS Word, has added a mail envelope to the document. When printing to the P 502 it throws a Mismatch Error (It appears to to be treating the Envelope as Plane Paper) requiring manual intervention. As they have many documents of this type to print through the day, manual intervention on each and every document isn't acceptable.

Though changing tray setting and tray priority settings I was able to get it to print the letter and the envelope as plain paper, however the envelope turns out creased/crinkled.
    Attempting other setting returned to the Mismatch.
    Speaking to a Ricoh Tech it was mentioned that the crease is coming from the plain paper setting causing the machine to not account for a 'gap' concerning the envelope. However the client mentioned the previous machine they had, HP 4530 (With Envelope Feed Tray), was able to print it with minimal issue.

In office attempts to solve the issue on MP C407 and SP420dn hasn't been able to get it to print the letter and envelope, just either Paper on both or Envelope on both. Tried combinations of Auto Continue= Immediate, Tray Priority Settings Driver/Command, Machine Settings, Machine Settings: Any Type, Any Type/Size, Custom Size. Set the Bypass tray to the envelope size and type, set bypass tray to envelope size and plain type. Tried MS Mail Setting for Auto Select and Bypass tray.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but given the correct model any brand should be able to reproduce what any other brands model can do. I am hoping the CTN collective can thing of some setting I have missed or if its an impossibility. Thank you in advanced. Have a great day!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Printing Envelopes added to Document

Quote Originally Posted by Methedor View Post
    Hello folks, I've run into an issue which I'm not sure is fully software or hardware.
    I have a client that, using MS Word, has added a mail envelope to the document. When printing to the P 502 it throws a Mismatch Error (It appears to to be treating the Envelope as Plane Paper) requiring manual intervention. As they have many documents of this type to print through the day, manual intervention on each and every document isn't acceptable.

Though changing tray setting and tray priority settings I was able to get it to print the letter and the envelope as plain paper, however the envelope turns out creased/crinkled.
    Attempting other setting returned to the Mismatch.
    Speaking to a Ricoh Tech it was mentioned that the crease is coming from the plain paper setting causing the machine to not account for a 'gap' concerning the envelope. However the client mentioned the previous machine they had, HP 4530 (With Envelope Feed Tray), was able to print it with minimal issue.

In office attempts to solve the issue on MP C407 and SP420dn hasn't been able to get it to print the letter and envelope, just either Paper on both or Envelope on both. Tried combinations of Auto Continue= Immediate, Tray Priority Settings Driver/Command, Machine Settings, Machine Settings: Any Type, Any Type/Size, Custom Size. Set the Bypass tray to the envelope size and type, set bypass tray to envelope size and plain type. Tried MS Mail Setting for Auto Select and Bypass tray.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but given the correct model any brand should be able to reproduce what any other brands model can do. I am hoping the CTN collective can thing of some setting I have missed or if its an impossibility. Thank you in advanced. Have a great day!

ENVELOPES should be fed via the bypass tray ... size Com10 weight heavy ... usually using the envelope/label section of the file settings.

how are they formatting the print job?

Phil B. Thank you for the response.

The envelope feed is using the bypass tray.
    When it is added to the Word Document the first page becomes envelope size and the following page is letter and thus has the contents that would go into the envelope.

It is being printed via File -> Print. When it does so the unit attempts to pull from the bypass tray which then causes a mismatch error showing it as 4 1/8 x 9 1/2 (Plain Paper).

The prep is Mailing -> Envelops -> (information for address and return) -> Add to Document
    They have many prepped as saved files as well.

Selecting Print instead of Add to Document would print it as just the envelope, but not the letter part of the document.

I hope this has answered you and given clearer context.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I had an accounting firm doing this task in MS Word to a Lexmark ... but basically the same issue. The workaround that we came up with was when in the document, the enduser highlighted the mailing address then selected Envelope. It's important that the media properties in the envelope screen are set correctly: The size: Envelope COM10, the media type: Envelope, source: Multipurpose Feeder. Then Print. The multipurpose feeder tray must be set to Auto, meaning that it takes it's information from the print driver settings.

THEN, print the letter separately. I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but we never found a way to get both to print in a single action. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Methedor View Post
    Tray Priority Settings Driver/Command, Machine Settings, Machine Settings
    And there is your problem. When you use Machine Settings everything set on the computer/software has to exactly match what is set at the machine. If you use Driver/Command the only time you will get a screen prompt is if the desired tray is empty.

Thank you Blackcat and Slimslob.

Slimslob. I agree that it needs to match with Machine Settings. I was experimenting with settings. At the office when I tried the Driver/Command I still got the Mismatch error with Driver Command, though I believe that was due to the bypass tray being set to Envelope and the print job thinking it was plain. At the client when I was able to force it, the envelope creased due to it being told it was plain paper and not an envelope.

Blackcat. I agree that , that would be a way to do it; to print the envelope separately. I'm wondering as to why the HP 4530 was something that somewhat functioned.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quite simply....Some printers just don't do well with envelopes, and I personally have yet to find a Ricoh Model that didn't wrinkle them- regardless of the envelope type/ style.
    You may have some luck with a model that has the fuser pressure release for envelopes, but that's not exactly an efficient or helpful workaround either.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Common problem with MS Word.
    What we do is create a "Ricoh Envelope" print driver. Make the default preferences bypass tray (source), com 10 (size) and Envelope (type).
    (MS Word in the envelope printing mode, will default to the bypass, plain paper and letter size. This creates the errors).

Set the Ricoh to allow the driver to control paper size and type.

You will have to print the document and envelope as 2 separate documents. When printing the envelope, , select File, Print... select the "Ricoh Envelope" printer and arrow back to the document.
    Then select Mailings, Envelopes and then Print. ( once in Word "envelopes" there is no way to change the printer or paper properties)
    Be sure to return Word back to the default printer after printing the envelope.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Envelopes and Word, you poor bastard. The easiest way is using the Mailings tab in Word. You can set envelope size, feed direction, paper source, etc... See below. You can print the envelope from here.
    WORD envelopes.jpgenvelope.jpg
    You can then go File > Print to print the letter.
    word.jpg

Last edited by mojorolla; 05-28-2021 at 03:26 PM.
    Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Recently the decision has been made by the higher-ups what to with these units with the client. I thank you all for your input and indulging me in persisting to find a solution. Have a great weekend, and if you are in my area, stay dry.