Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    FD-4000 folding unit woes

Good afternoon, dudes and dudettes.

Anyone over here familiar with the FD-4000 folding unit?

We've got a customer running an MP6002 machine with a folding unit and finisher. That machine runs mostly folded A4 jobs (I'd say 95% of the jobs).

Lately the machine is very prone to stop, displaying J368 without any paper in the paper path - the user simply opens up the folder door, pulls out the folding unit and back in, and then resumes job.

A few notes, however:

• The longer the machine works, the more likely it is that the machine will throw the J368 code (initially you can print about 30 or 40 pages between codes, but then it's more 10 or even less;
    • When the user needs to clear the code, if the user simply opens and closes the folder door, the machine will error with SC725-30

What has been done to try and solve the problem:

• Cleaning of all the paper sensors in the paper path;
    • Swapping the 1st stop unit motor with the 3rd stop unit motor (because of the SC725-30);
    • Lubrication of the 1st paper stopper guides (for a smoother up/down movement of the stopper);
    • Adjustment of several driving belts tension;
    • Cleaned the door switch contacts;

Here are videos of the machine jamming with J368 without any paper and with SC725-30 after J368 without pulling out the folding unit.

Any help towards finding the solution would be most welcome.

Thank you!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: FD-4000 folding unit woes

When a peripheral device encounters an error it will initially display a jam code related to the device and the portion of the device where the error occurred. If after opening the door and looking for a jam it immediately gets the same error it will display the Service Code. Since you eventually are getting an SC, trouble shoot that error first. SC725-30 Z-fold stopper 1 Motor error

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Re: FD-4000 folding unit woes

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    When a peripheral device encounters an error it will initially display a jam code related to the device and the portion of the device where the error occurred. If after opening the door and looking for a jam it immediately gets the same error it will display the Service Code. Since you eventually are getting an SC, trouble shoot that error first. SC725-30 Z-fold stopper 1 Motor error
    Thank you for the tip. I had already swapped that motor with another one, and the home positioning sensor also. I also cleaned and lubricated the guides - I'm now at the customer, and I'm going to recheck all the connectors. Failing that, I was thinking of ordering new cabling for that area - but I'm open to suggestions.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!