Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: MPC4502 "overheating"

Several good posts here both regarding the filters and also the paper.

If the machine didn't code, then it was very likely not really out of spec. If it was and went much higher, the thermo-fuses would have popped off.

Living in the nice humid midwest, running paper that has absorbed a lot of moisture can cause some pretty strong odors and since we have now added moisture to the equation, a customer sticking their hand near the upper door will feel the heat more readily from the moisture burning off. (IE, steam). I have seen paper so bad at times that after running a bunch through a machine, you can open the door and the guide above the fuser will be drenched in water.

Something else to check beyond verifying if the fans are running or not is to feel for air flow. Fans can be running, but as Silm mentioned, if ducts are missing/not installed correctly, you may not be getting very good airflow.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MPC4502 "overheating"

This is almost definitely a customer dreaming things up.
    As mentioned earlier, the yellowing of certain panels is quite common as machines age - although I've never personally been able to nail down a specific cause, because I've seen it in a variety of machine locations and situations
    I'm certainly not aware of ever having a machine get so hot, not code out, and/or also melt fuser rollers.

Some time ago, I was contacted by a customer just a few hours after rebuilding the fuser on their MP2851. They had noticed a peculiar smell, and told me that the entire operation panel had turned "yellow".

Well, obviously the smell was a bit of grease burn off from the new bearings, and the Yellowing had been there for YEARS!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Check fans are pointing in the right direction.
    Had this once on a old B/W 220 where the exhaust fan was backwards..
    it melted some plastics and took me a bit to figure out..also you can adjust how long some fans run in SM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If it's a contract, i think he wants to get rid of it.
    It might be he had a visit of a competitor with a (much) better price...
    It might also be that he wants you to sell him a new machine at a better price (concerning the problems he says he is facing with the mpc4502)
    Thermoswitches would open if that happens what your customer claims.
    Does the fusing belt wear out quickly?
    (I should have had 8 by now, but has anyone seen my 7th green card?)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MPC4502 "overheating"

You are correct in assuming that if it "overheated" it would pop a code. As long as the fuser is turning, everything should be fine.
    On this model, if the fusing exhaust fans are not working, it usually pops a code for that too.
    You can check fuser temps in SP mode, and adjust them down if they're set higher than default, and you can physically show the customer what temperature the unit goes up to, and back down to, so as to give them some clarity that, "Yeah...these things get hot, that's part of the process".
    If there is toner residue and such in the fan ducting, clean those out and see if that makes any improvement.

We've had too many machines to count that get the discolored covers, and a lot of customers that think "the machine is too hot, I hope it doesn't start a fire", or the customers who are baffled as to why their paper comes out hot. LOL!

I'm gonna say it's probably "all in your customer's head". Never once have we had a machine "overheat" without throwing a code.

Random story:
    We had a C305 in our shop a year or so ago and were trying to nail down an add toner issue that wouldn't clear (never cleared), and while testing it, one of our techs kept getting a fuser code because it wasn't plugged in (machine was severely torn apart.....so he took the harness for the fuser off the machine and plugged it into the fuser sitting next to the machine and when he turned it on, it melted the fuser rollers together due to not having the drive to turn the rollers.
    This is literally the only time I've seen something like that ("overheating") occur.
    Omertà

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC4502 "overheating"

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    You are correct in assuming that if it "overheated" it would pop a code. As long as the fuser is turning, everything should be fine.
    On this model, if the fusing exhaust fans are not working, it usually pops a code for that too.
    You can check fuser temps in SP mode, and adjust them down if they're set higher than default, and you can physically show the customer what temperature the unit goes up to, and back down to, so as to give them some clarity that, "Yeah...these things get hot, that's part of the process".
    If there is toner residue and such in the fan ducting, clean those out and see if that makes any improvement.

We've had too many machines to count that get the discolored covers, and a lot of customers that think "the machine is too hot, I hope it doesn't start a fire", or the customers who are baffled as to why their paper comes out hot. LOL!

I'm gonna say it's probably "all in your customer's head". Never once have we had a machine "overheat" without throwing a code.

Random story:
    We had a C305 in our shop a year or so ago and were trying to nail down an add toner issue that wouldn't clear (never cleared), and while testing it, one of our techs kept getting a fuser code because it wasn't plugged in (machine was severely torn apart.....so he took the harness for the fuser off the machine and plugged it into the fuser sitting next to the machine and when he turned it on, it melted the fuser rollers together due to not having the drive to turn the rollers.
    This is literally the only time I've seen something like that ("overheating") occur.
    I had a customer one time that had been told how to clear a fuser code. So one day they had an impatient employee who want to make his/her copies as soon as possible. When the machine coded, he/she reset it and stood there waiting. When it coded again, reset it again. Repeat until it had overheated to the point of melting the pressure roller to the hot roller.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: MPC4502 "overheating"

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I had a customer one time that had been told how to clear a fuser code. So one day they had an impatient employee who want to make his/her copies as soon as possible. When the machine coded, he/she reset it and stood there waiting. When it coded again, reset it again. Repeat until it had overheated to the point of melting the pressure roller to the hot roller.
    Good story slim. It comes as remind to all of us. Customers good or bad eventually ALWAYS find their way to sc.w technology and consequently us.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I have had several customers complaining of hot smells. Turns out they were doing long runs of nearly 100% coverage on b/w. Just saying.....

Have you checked the pressure roller thermistors? Ok? One last thingy that might cause an issue. Is the fuser sleeve the correct one? An MPC3002 sleeve in a MPC4502 might cause this.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MPC4502 "overheating"

had a customer complain of smells from the copier. turns out nothing wrong with the copier. just an old building and the smell was coming from the ancient AC vents. it was terrible, i smelled it. i figured it out because once i walked out of the office i could smell it in the hallway as well. just an idea something you might wanna consider could be the issue.