Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Technician
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    15

    MPC4502 "overheating"

    We have a MPC4502 that has started to "overheat"

    The machine does not trip a code, there was a smell and some very noticeable discoloration on the top of the duplex door and the vents above the door.

    The fuser was not damaged and after swapping the entire fuser from another machine, the customer stated that the overheating smell still happened. The fuser that cam out seems to work in our office just fine.

    Myself and other technicians have not had much luck duplicating the issue while onsite.

    Power from the wall was suspect but at this time is stable and no issues there.

    Has anyone else had a similar issue?

  2. #2
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    MPC4502 "overheating"

    Phil B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    14,238
    Rep Power
    376

    Re: MPC4502 "overheating"

    Quote Originally Posted by tinalt View Post
    We have a MPC4502 that has started to "overheat"

    The machine does not trip a code, there was a smell and some very noticeable discoloration on the top of the duplex door and the vents above the door.

    The fuser was not damaged and after swapping the entire fuser from another machine, the customer stated that the overheating smell still happened. The fuser that cam out seems to work in our office just fine.

    Myself and other technicians have not had much luck duplicating the issue while onsite.

    Power from the wall was suspect but at this time is stable and no issues there.

    Has anyone else had a similar issue?
    are all fans/filters clean?

  3. #3
    Technician
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: MPC4502 "overheating"

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    are all fans/filters clean?
    The filters have been cleaned and all fans are working

  4. #4
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,075
    Rep Power
    185

    Re: MPC4502 "overheating"

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    are all fans/filters clean?
    +1. Also air ducts should be unobtructed all fans should work not just sit at their places
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

  5. #5
    Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    MPC4502 "overheating"

    mga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    london
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    121

    Re: MPC4502 "overheating"

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    are all fans/filters clean?
    Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    +1. Also air ducts should be unobtructed all fans should work not just sit at their places
    +1 both if it was overheating you should get error could be ozone smell also mover away from walls

  6. #6
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    MPC4502 "overheating"

    Phil B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    14,238
    Rep Power
    376

    Re: MPC4502 "overheating"

    Quote Originally Posted by mga View Post
    +1 both if it was overheating you should get error could be ozone smell also mover away from walls
    good point didn't even mention clearance

  7. #7
    Technician
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: MPC4502 "overheating"

    Quote Originally Posted by mga View Post
    +1 both if it was overheating you should get error could be ozone smell also mover away from walls
    The machine is about 8 inches from the wall behind it and there is nothing close on either side.

    The customer was asked and it was not an ozone smell, at least as it was described/asked.

    If the machine was actually to hot I would expect to see some damage and I would expect to have had it code out, it did neither.

  8. #8
    Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    MPC4502 "overheating"

    mga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    london
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    121

    Re: MPC4502 "overheating"

    Quote Originally Posted by tinalt View Post
    The machine is about 8 inches from the wall behind it and there is nothing close on either side.

    The customer was asked and it was not an ozone smell, at least as it was described/asked.

    If the machine was actually to hot I would expect to see some damage and I would expect to have had it code out, it did neither.
    If you haven't seen it yourself it's probably just the customer advise he you checked with a smell meter and its within manufacturer specifications {he he}

  9. #9
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts 8T2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa
    Posts
    174
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: MPC4502 "overheating"

    I ran into batch of paper once that smelled horrible... literally had a chemical cat pee/drunk hobo vomit smell so maybe take them a ream of paper to test and remove one possibility out of the equation?

    Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Retired 10,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    15,044
    Rep Power
    414

    Re: MPC4502 "overheating"

    Considering that the C4502 was launched in February 2012, discoloration of the covers above the fuser is understandable, and if the unit was ever where sunlight through a window was shining on it, more discoloration.

    There are 2 fans that deal with the excess heat rising from the top of the fuser. The fusing fan, mounted above the AC control board, draws heated air out. The paper exit fan which pushes room temperature air in. If either of those fans or the fusing fan duct are not installed properly, it will cause a problem.

    One other thing to check. If a paper jam was not properly removed, scraps of paper might be inside the fuser. Those scraps become a source for both discoloration and the smell of scorched paper.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here